Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  31
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which hitch? Fixed 5th Wheel for Long Bed

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Which hitch? Fixed 5th Wheel for Long Bed

Hi! I just got a Dodge RAM 2500. It's the 2013 w/ a Long Bed. I am looking to tow a 5th wheel camper. I am trying to figure out the best setup and it seems there are a whole lot of options. My camper will come in at 13,000lbs or less. I have been hearing good things about the Curt hitches.

Which hitch do you recommend? My truck is stock and I'm trying to figure out what to buy to have a nice setup. I saw that @pa_cummins got airbags as well and am wondering if I should get those or a hitch with air. I'll be hauling it 1,000+ mi on occasion.

Thanks!

2. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Which hitch? Fixed 5th Wheel for Long Bed

Quote Originally Posted by LenNC View Post
    Hi! I just got a Dodge RAM 2500. It's the 2013 w/ a Long Bed. I am looking to tow a 5th wheel camper. I am trying to figure out the best setup and it seems there are a whole lot of options. My camper will come in at 13,000lbs or less. I have been hearing good things about the Curt hitches.

Which hitch do you recommend? My truck is stock and I'm trying to figure out what to buy to have a nice setup. I saw that @pa_cummins got airbags as well and am wondering if I should get those or a hitch with air. I'll be hauling it 1,000+ mi on occasion.

Thanks!
    I would opt for airbags instead of the air hitch. You’re looking at a minimum of 2600 lbs pin weight. We tow a 15k fifth wheel with a 2010 longbed dually and I’ve considered airbags. We have a Reese hitch rates at 25k and have been happy with it.

Regards,

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Thanks LenNC thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtipton View Post
    I would opt for airbags instead of the air hitch. You’re looking at a minimum of 2600 lbs pin weight. We tow a 15k fifth wheel with a 2010 longbed dually and I’ve considered airbags. We have a Reese hitch rates at 25k and have been happy with it.
    Thanks Bob! Do you have the Reese 30862? Those look great and are a bit more affordable.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

X2 for airbags to assist the rear suspension. The make pulling our camper much more enjoyable.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Thanks LenNC thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, LenNC, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I don't tow a 5'er, but I do have a 10' camper I haul around occasionally and loads of fire wood I haul off the mountain. I have a set of Air-Lift 5000's, they help tremendously.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

10. Thanks LenNC thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thanks Bob! Do you have the Reese 30862? Those look great and are a bit more affordable.
    Can’t speak to the model number but it is a nice hitch. Was $1,100 installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Thanks LenNC thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    I don't tow a 5'er, but I do have a 10' camper I haul around occasionally and loads of fire wood I haul off the mountain. I have a set of Air-Lift 5000's, they help tremendously.
    Thanks! The Air Lifts were on the radar. Hmm, looks like I need an air compressor now..

14. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtipton View Post

Regards,

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Reese or Curt. They're both about the same. I've seen both. I don't use them because they make the trailer too long for my purposes.

Bob
    You brought up a very interesting point. However I also suggest swapping out the factory sway bar for the Hellwig. It appears to be twice the diameter of the factory. The air bags will prevent body roll, but you rear coil guys need something to prevent suspension shift. We were just having a discussion about that. @F350Cummins is having trouble towing with his 2500 too. I forget which member it was, but he put up a post "Free Advice" Something like that. He works in the RV biz.

I use the hellwig on my 03. I swapped it off my 08 cause I'm cheap. LOL I also have air bags which I am working on new controls for right now. I found, with a load, 70 PSI and higher gives the best control. Rides really good with the load. I'm happy to say my 03 rides better than the 4th gen 2500's. I'm in those new 2500's all the time

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

16. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I use the BW companion hitch in my regular bed 2500. I pull my 12k fifth wheel with it no problems. Easy to put in and take out.

18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I have a Reese and it works fine, but using standard rails gives it the dreaded jerk and jam under hard acceleration and braking. Scares the crap out of the wife. I used a friend's truck once that had a gooseneck ball with a BW Companion hitch mounted to it. The ride was was absolutely quiet and solid. The hitch is much better built, especially the locking mechanism. Definitely going BW next time with a BW turn over ball.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

19. Likes Power247, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast