Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Exhaust Brake noise (aside from the normal growl)

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exhaust Brake noise (aside from the normal growl)

Hello fellas, Hope everyone is well.

I just performed a EGR Valve cleaning and EGR cooler Cleaning on my 2014 Ram 2500. It has 127K miles and from the looks of it, it had not been performed by previous owner, I'm guessing.
    I bought it with 108K miles about 15 months ago.

I also replaced the Crank Case Filter as well.

I finished putting things back together and did the best to top of the coolant and remove excess air in the system, but now when I run it (no towing) I hear the normal Exhaust Brake noise turn on, but inside the cabin as if it's coming from the center of the dashboard, I hear a little bit of "hissing" like air being pushed out from somewhere.

Has someone encountered this before and what could it be? I'm hoping it's nothing major (fingers crossed) and I'm looking for some answers because in about 2 days I'm towing our family's travel trailer and I don't want any surprises on the way!

Thanks everyone for your help in advance.

Alex

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust Brake noise (aside from the normal growl)

Quote Originally Posted by Achernan28 View Post
    Hello fellas, Hope everyone is well.

I just performed a EGR Valve cleaning and EGR cooler Cleaning on my 2014 Ram 2500. It has 127K miles and from the looks of it, it had not been performed by previous owner, I'm guessing.
    I bought it with 108K miles about 15 months ago.

I also replaced the Crank Case Filter as well.

I finished putting things back together and did the best to top of the coolant and remove excess air in the system, but now when I run it (no towing) I hear the normal Exhaust Brake noise turn on, but inside the cabin as if it's coming from the center of the dashboard, I hear a little bit of "hissing" like air being pushed out from somewhere.

Has someone encountered this before and what could it be? I'm hoping it's nothing major (fingers crossed) and I'm looking for some answers because in about 2 days I'm towing our family's travel trailer and I don't want any surprises on the way!

Thanks everyone for your help in advance.

Alex
    If you put everything back the right way and the eb is working correctly I believe that it is all good with you replacing the Crank Case Filter and you said that you believed that it wasn’t done before you did it can actually breathe like it needs to be able to

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Double check any seals or gaskets you took off. You may have gotten something off just a hair. It's probably nothing serious so don't be too alarmed but it will get annoying fast LOL!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    If you put everything back the right way and the eb is working correctly I believe that it is all good with you replacing the Crank Case Filter and you said that you believed that it wasn’t done before you did it can actually breathe like it needs to be able to
    Hey HKBDDD, I checked and double checked the gaskets and seals and couldn't find anything leaking. Like you said, I'm hoping she can breathe better because I looked at the old Crank Case Filter, and it was dirty as all heck. Totally black and soiled.

The only thing that bugged me was the last four 8 mm bolts that hold the plastic engine cover (the one that has the engine oil dip stick running through it), I felt the bolts didn't line up. With a little muscle, I was able to get the bolts in, but I didn't like the effort it took to simply put them back.

So something may need some tweaking. A bolt or clamp may be off angle just a hair.

Thanks for your feedback.

Alex

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    Double check any seals or gaskets you took off. You may have gotten something off just a hair. It's probably nothing serious so don't be too alarmed but it will get annoying fast LOL!
    Will do.

I drove it to work today, the shift points were a lot better and the engine seemed to be more relaxed. (Truck is not tuned or deleted so I'm still running it stock except for an S & B Cold air intake).

I want to loosen some bolts again and re-tighten them and see if I can't get that engine cover on more passively like it did before.

It could be like Big Daddy Diesel Dan said since I replaced the Crank Case Filter I've never heard the exhaust brake with a clean filter.

Overall, I think with all the work I put it this weekend cleaning this stuff, I was kicking myself for not having the delete stuff and tuner ready since I'll have to take it apart all over again. The plus side to this is that my wife saw how much time this took so she's on board with the delete kit and tune so I won't have to do this cleaning again.

6. Likes Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Achernan28 View Post
    Will do.

I drove it to work today, the shift points were a lot better and the engine seemed to be more relaxed. (Truck is not tuned or deleted so I'm still running it stock except for an S & B Cold air intake).

I want to loosen some bolts again and re-tighten them and see if I can't get that engine cover on more passively like it did before.

It could be like Big Daddy Diesel Dan said since I replaced the Crank Case Filter I've never heard the exhaust brake with a clean filter.

Overall, I think with all the work I put it this weekend cleaning this stuff, I was kicking myself for not having the delete stuff and tuner ready since I'll have to take it apart all over again. The plus side to this is that my wife saw how much time this took so she's on board with the delete kit and tune so I won't have to do this cleaning again.
    You’ll love being deleted getting the MM3 tuner and Ray’s custom tunes you will be blown away how much better it runs night and day difference

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Check your EGR pressure sensing tube. It runs parallel to the valve cover. Mine was cracked near the bracket that bolts it to the block. Drove me crazy until I found it[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
    20180313/a1e88a6800370581a1c42708057fb294.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

It's definitely headed in that direction!!

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Yikes, didn't think of that. Thanks for the heads up Bill in Round Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by bill in round rock View Post
    Check your EGR pressure sensing tube. It runs parallel to the valve cover. Mine was cracked near the bracket that bolts it to the block. Drove me crazy until I found ithttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
    20180313/a1e88a6800370581a1c42708057f

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post