Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whining noise

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Whining noise

[QUOTE=Thake618;84322]Not having any boost issues are you talking downpipe leak? No whine at idle rpms. Checked block off plates

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

is the throttle valve deleted? If so, the Seal between the intake elbow and the new throttle tube could be leaking air. Mine did this when I installed it and would only make a noise when the engine had a load on it from putting it in gear and would try and build boost.You could not hear anything at idle.
    Just another idea!!

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

I'll check but it's stock I feel like I'm going to piss the dealership off it goes in on the 14th for a bad window motor into windows that go up substantially slow I'm feeling a little slop in the steering now this and always and to top it all off I get in my truck this morning in my heated seats don't work =Bigmack;84325]Does it sound like power steering whine kind of? Mine does the same thing and gets louder with more rpms. i thought my power steering was going bad but i'm starting to believe it is the alternator. I did a few searches and it seems other people had the same problem and it ended up being the bearings in the alternator. Kind of like this video? http://vid110.photobucket.com/albums...psg6we2mqq.mp4[/QUOTE]
    Yes it does but it can't be the pump cause it dosent make the noise when I'm turning or loading the pump down. Sounds like it's right around the alternator. It's so damn hard to figure stuff out when you have a 5 inch exhaust but it's there.....I'm at 30k miles and don't want to be out of warranty when the thing decides to go.
    [QUOTE=Larry1009;84404]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thake618 View Post
    Not having any boost issues are you talking downpipe leak? No whine at idle rpms. Checked block off plates

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

is the throttle valve deleted? If so, the Seal between the intake elbow and the new throttle tube could be leaking air. Mine did this when I installed it and would only make a noise when the engine had a load on it from putting it in gear and would try and build boost.You could not hear anything at idle.
    Just another idea!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Whining noise

I used to have a whine while under throttle, turns out my rear egr block off plate wasn't tightened down completely. Tightened it down and whistle went away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Hey guys over the past few days I began to notice a noise coming from under the hood of my truck I can hear it from inside the cab when I pop the hood it seems to be coming from the alternator area I'm not sure if it's a bad bearing or not I also heard a faint buzzing noise of some sort when I was driving through a parking lot the other day. Not sure what exactly it is. 2016 with 31k. No codes. Alt voltage is good. Fully deleted rr diesel

I have a 2017 fully deleted w 43k experiencing this issue as well. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? Kind of sounds like a torque converter going bad. Coming from the exhaust manifold side of the engine.

5. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dlbjr76 View Post
    I have a 2017 fully deleted w 43k experiencing this issue as well. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? Kind of sounds like a torque converter going bad. Coming from the exhaust manifold side of the engine.
    Yep it was the alternator!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Yep it was the alternator!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I’m pretty sure that’s not my issue, but I’ll keep looking. Thanks

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I may be off, but pop the tensioner loose and spin tensioner pulley, and spin the water pump. I’m thinking it might be one of them.

2016 Ram 2500 CCLB 4x4 Laramie 68RFE
    Raceme w/ warp tuning from DoubleRDiesel, *** egr delete, CCV filter gutted & re-routed, airfilter tube gutted, 4” FloPro Twister & 51” Donaldson muffler, BD Diesel 68 protect plate, TBV Delete, Mag-Hytec trans pan
    Future:Thuren Coils & Track bar, ARP625’s

10. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Great White View Post
    I may be off, but pop the tensioner loose and spin tensioner pulley, and spin the water pump. I’m thinking it might be one of them.
    I just saw this thread. That's an excellent idea and what I was going to say.

Spin all the turning parts Alt, water pump, idler, tensioner, PS pump and the A/C bearing. If it feels a bit chunky, you found it. While the belt is off start it and see if the noise is gone too. Make sure the belt is clear of the damper pulley on the bottom. Belts can make noises like that too

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Thanks Great White thanked for this post
    Likes Great White liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Hey guys over the past few days I began to notice a noise coming from under the hood of my truck I can hear it from inside the cab when I pop the hood it seems to be coming from the alternator area I'm not sure if it's a bad bearing or not I also heard a faint buzzing noise of some sort when I was driving through a parking lot the other day. Not sure what exactly it is. 2016 with 31k. No codes. Alt voltage is good. Fully deleted rr diesel

I was searching through the engine the other day after I asked you what you found. I thought it was the alternator also, but after pulling the fan clutch and the alternator off i found the noise. It was the bracket that bolts to the block with the cooling fan bearing and the top idler pulley. The cooling fan bearing was toasted. Metal on metal. $550 part.

14. Thanks Power247, Great White thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, Great White liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12