Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&S XRT PRO safe tuning

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

H&S XRT PRO safe tuning

Hi guys I'm new to this site, I've been a part of another forum but decided to come here because it seems like the knowledge here is different compared to the other site. Ok my question is what tuning is safe on a stock motor at stock tranny with only DPF delete, egr off, and overdrive tuning? I have been running tow/2 on mild and I'm really itching to turn up the power to street/3 but was told that the tranny and motor would suffer. I'm also running on 6 35s and 2k lbs in the bed and 3.73 gears. I don't really push it at all until the motor is warmed up and only time I really push it is to pass someone or even the occasional just for fun. Thanks in advance guys!

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Ray @Double R Diesel is who you need to talk too.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, DRD, Cumminswelder thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, DRD liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cumminswelder View Post
    Hi guys I'm new to this site, I've been a part of another forum but decided to come here because it seems like the knowledge here is different compared to the other site. Ok my question is what tuning is safe on a stock motor at stock tranny with only DPF delete, egr off, and overdrive tuning? I have been running tow/2 on mild and I'm really itching to turn up the power to street/3 but was told that the tranny and motor would suffer. I'm also running on 6 35s and 2k lbs in the bed and 3.73 gears. I don't really push it at all until the motor is warmed up and only time I really push it is to pass someone or even the occasional just for fun. Thanks in advance guys!
    Welcome to the forum!

Street 3 is OK as long as you go easy on the throttle with a heavy load.

If you wanted to spend some extra coin, we could build you a custom tune that would be safe and perform much better than box tuning.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

6. Thanks Cumminswelder thanked for this post
    Likes Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Ya I plan to get the mcc unlock to do custom tunes but I'll have to wait til later, works slow right now so might be a month before I find something else. So street should be good for daily and occasional fun? I don't drive hard til I'm all warmed up anyways.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

So street should be good for daily and occasional fun? I don't drive hard til I'm all warmed up anyways.
    You should be fine with that.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

It's funny how on the other forum they were saying on street I would need studs and a built tranny LOL!

12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

It's funny how on the other forum they were saying on street I would need studs and a built tranny LOL!
    LOL. Well you can blow a head gasket and a stock transmission with factory tuning. Driving habit goes a long ways in longevity. H&S tuners got a bad name from the aggressive turbo tuning that used to be offered. The last update that H&S has on their updater doesn't even have the aggressive turbo tuning any longer. What was happening was guys were making too much cylinder pressure with aggressive low rpm boost and then compounding the problem by using the defueling feature of the mini maxx which can leave high injection timing with short pulse widths...in layman's terms a recipe for blown head gaskets.

The 68RFE with tuning is pretty stout with the trans tuning in stock form...not bullet proof but tougher than given credit for.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Ya that's what I had heard so first thing I did when getting my xrt I downloaded the non att tunes. Thanks for all the info your actually the first person to give me straight answers with straight facts. There have been many who give me advice but with nothing to back up their answer except for don't do it because your motor and tranny will take a poop! LOL! Thanks again Double R I really appreciate the help and as soon as I make some money I'll make sure to get your custom tuning!

14. Likes DRD, Power247, fourteen liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Well I tried it out and boy the truck feels good but talk about hitting high egt's quick! Stabbing at the skinny pedal for one second and egt's hit 1200 quick! I'm not sure what safe egt levels are but I set my alert on my edge insight for 1250*, needless to say I set my tuning back to tow/3. What are max safe egt levels?

16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Well I tried it out and boy the truck feels good but talk about hitting high egt's quick! Stabbing at the skinny pedal for one second and egt's hit 1200 quick! I'm not sure what safe egt levels are but I set my alert on my edge insight for 1250*, needless to say I set my tuning back to tow/3. What are max safe egt levels?
    Keep it 1200 and under sustained EGTs. A quick burst to 1300-1400 won't hurt but don't keep it there.

Ray
    Double R Diesel, LLC
    www.doublerdiesel.com
    info@doublerdiesel.com

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast