Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil filters

1. Top Of Page | #21
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I have always used WIX for oil filters. It's about $12 at O`Reilly`s, I believe.

2. Top Of Page | #22
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkarrd RRD View Post
    I've been happy with wix. Don't remember the micron rating on it off top of my head tho. I change filters at 5000 and oil at 10,000
    ok im new to the diesel world and i know this post is a year old but please reply... I use Amsoil and was wondering about the filters at 5000 and oil at 10000 please explain!!

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wlofton View Post
    ok im new to the diesel world and i know this post is a year old but please reply... I use Amsoil and was wondering about the filters at 5000 and oil at 10000 please explain!!
    We would be glad to help you, but we don't exactly understand your question. Please elaborate.

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

"The grass is greener where you water it"

5. Top Of Page | #24
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I may be wrong of your question, but I believe he means at every 5,000 miles is when he changes the oil filter, and when his oil has 10,000 miles since last oil change he changes the oil out. Many people do this. But wlofton, you have a 2015 Dodge, if your owners manual says you chnage your oil every 15,000 miles, you can change the filter again and then the oil at 15,000 if you want. But also check if this is for when you run your truck mainly unloaded most of the time. When your pulling a lot of weight, the schedule is less and should be considered in oil changes.

Having your oil checked by a quality analysis lab is a positive thing to do if you plan to keep your truck for a very long time.

6. Top Of Page | #25
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whorti31601 View Post
    Hey guys I was wondering what everyone uses for oil filter for the best price I use the k&n oil filter and is there something out there that is better with out breaking the bank

I might be wrong, but I believe you use the same filter size in your '02 as I use in my '06. I've been buying my filter through Filter Products and they sell brand named filters like Donaldson and Baldwin at a reasonable price. http://filterspro.com/detail_2.cfm?part=2679703

The last recent order I had was for the Donaldson filters DBL7349 and I paid $11.62 per filter plus shipping. The filter is rated at 15 micron and Donaldson filters have served my truck well. (No, nothing against FleetGuard and such, but like so many others, I have my preference.) Normal oil filters sold for your trucks are rated at 25 to 30 microns and I wanted better, without being way to small causing the bypass to open during use. If this happens, why use a filter then ?

Just and FYI:
    I believe, (but not all owners do), that having an oil bypass system is beneficial for the diesel engine. I aquired a by pass system and use an Amsoil eabp100 filter which filters approx 10% of the flow at a 2 micron rating, filtering out the debris and soot. Per the last announcement from Amsoil, this filter should last up to 120,000 miles if your running an extended oil change cycle.

This will not stop your trucks oil from blackening, but helps remove the trash from the oil, extending the life of the oil change interval. I have a friend that does not want to spend the money for the Amsoil filters, but uses the DBL7349 for both the engine filter and his by pass unit and is very happy with this lab results. He last analysis from BlackStone Lab said they recommend he changes his oil because he was getting otowards the edge of safe oil perimeters for his oil, and he did so with 57,000 miles since his last oil change.

Like I said, just food for thought ... only.

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

running amsoil filters on the dodge and change oil and filters every 15k

9. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

but thats in KMS in canada LOL

10. Top Of Page | #28
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ok my try changing oil filter at 6000 then at 12000 change oil. Amsoil is expensive but I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

All we use is Amsoil. Never had one motor issue.

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

"The grass is greener where you water it"

13. Top Of Page | #30
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Ok my try changing oil filter at 6000 then at 12000 change oil. Amsoil is expensive but I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry it took so long, been busy but everyone else pretty much explained it, LOL. I highly recommend that you follow the owners manual's service schedule while your still under warranty. All the manufacturers will use any excuse they can to deny a warranty claim. If you are servicing it yourself save the receipts for oil/filters and write the mileage on the receipt when you change the oil. Once it's out of warranty then feel free to have the oil tested and extend the interval

Sent from a Well Head

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123