Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  24
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New to this site and to Cummins

1. Top Of Page | #51
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Some smoke from the draft tube is normal... These trucks always have some blow by. It's only a concern when it becomes excessive. I.e. Blowing a loose oil cap off... However if it was as bad as I'm seeming to think, I would expect your dipstick would be getting pushed out when the oil cap was tightened down.
    How's it running with the new bad injector? If it's running better do this for me, take oil cap off then just sit it back in but don't tighten it. Wrap the engine up to around 2000 rpm. Excessive blow by to worry about will blow the cap off, if it's still sitting there I wouldn't worry about it

Sent from a Well Head

2. Top Of Page | #52

User Info Menu

Ok removed all injectors changed 1 nozzle and swapped inj 1 and 3 cleaned everything then washed all cylinders and inspected cyl walls and tops of Pistons no damage on piston tops but real dark hard to judge the cylinder walls from what I could see looked good but couldn't get a good angle bore scope wouldn't go all the way into cylinders. Put everything back together just finished reassembly 5 minutes ago in the rain and cold . Tomorrow I'll fire it up and go from there hopping it's better if not hopping the weak cyl moves to #1 following the injector also changed the fuel filter with a fleet guard . I got my fingers crossed

Sent from my crib

3. Top Of Page | #53

User Info Menu

New to this site and to Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkarrd RRD View Post
    Some smoke from the draft tube is normal... These trucks always have some blow by. It's only a concern when it becomes excessive. I.e. Blowing a loose oil cap off... However if it was as bad as I'm seeming to think, I would expect your dipstick would be getting pushed out when the oil cap was tightened down.
    How's it running with the new bad injector? If it's running better do this for me, take oil cap off then just sit it back in but don't tighten it. Wrap the engine up to around 2000 rpm. Excessive blow by to worry about will blow the cap off, if it's still sitting there I wouldn't worry about it

Sent from a Well Head
    I'll give it a go and let you know

I'm thinking I just got nervous from researching the Internet that's sometimes full of BS my guess is I just need an injector or 6 of them. Oh ya when I removed #3 inj fuel dripped from it way more than the others pulled them out 1 by1 and stepped off step and 4 steps to work bench 5 stopped dripping by time I turned around and the #3 was still dripping until I got to the bench but that probably don't mean a thing I just figured I'd share what I think I saw.

Sent from my crib

4. Top Of Page | #54

User Info Menu

[uQUOTE=Wildkarrd RRD;48023]You can shoot me the vid at drew.doublerdiesel@gmail.com
    As for the injectors and blowing bubbles, I've honestly not messed with the common rail hard parts that much. So I'd ask for @AccurateDiesel to chime in

Sent from a Well Head[/QUOTE]

Just sent that video

Sent from my crib

5. Top Of Page | #55

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkarrd RRD View Post
    You can shoot me the vid at drew.doublerdiesel@gmail.com
    As for the injectors and blowing bubbles, I've honestly not messed with the common rail hard parts that much. So I'd ask for @AccurateDiesel to chime in

Sent from a Well Head
    Did you receive that video I emailed you?

Sent from my crib

6. Top Of Page | #56

User Info Menu

Ok new update I swapped injector 1 and 3 and truck seemed to run better put about 10 or 20 miles on it and I noticed the power and performance seemed to fall so I parked it. I switched the injectors back to where they came from 1 in 1 and 3 in 3. Before I put injector 3 back in I did a compression test on that cyl. and it has over 500 psi of compression so that's great. ( wish I would have done cyl 1 at same time). Just trying to see all my options from what I've found It could be 1 injector problems 2 valvetrain issues 3 cyl head problems(seats or cracks) 4 bottom end damage so out of all these suspected problems which could seem to come and go and which would cause blowby? I did the oil cap on upside down and it does bounce a little but you have to keep it from sliding sideways if you hold it from sliding just right it lifts up about 1/2 inch then back down. I wouldn't say it gets blown off. Also read somewhere on this site about valve issues and wiggle them side to side how much is acceptable mine move a small amount but I've seen a lot worse on a gas motor and all it did was smoke. My thoughts remove all 6 injectors and have tested compression test all 6 cylinders perform a leak down on all 6 cyls. at that time I can rate how well the valves are sealing.

One mor e question about a washed down cylinder can somebody please explain From what I understand about a cummins is it seems difficult to wash a cyl due to the fact that the oil squirted is always spraying oil up at the piston which I would think that oil would splatter on the cyl walls and keep the piston lubed. But someone with experience with this problem obviously would know more about it thanks for the help I greatly appreciate it

Sent from my crib

7. Top Of Page | #57

User Info Menu

Here I think this video might work with inj 1&3 swapped the harder you mash the pedal the more white smoke out the tailpipe you get. Please somebody have good news for me. Fingers Crossed oh ya abut 10 to 15 minutes run time at 55mph close to operating temp so between 160 to 185 ECTemp

Sent from my crib.

8. Top Of Page | #58
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Of the possible causes you mentioned, an engine mechanical issue is not likely to come and go. An injector issue is much more likely to be intermittent.

RE cylinder wall damage, lubrication on the underside of the piston will not necessarily prevent cylinder wall damage caused by a fuel spray issue on the top side of the piston.

9. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AccurateDiesel View Post
    Of the possible causes you mentioned, an engine mechanical issue is not likely to come and go. An injector issue is much more likely to be intermittent.

RE cylinder wall damage, lubrication on the underside of the piston will not necessarily prevent cylinder wall damage caused by a fuel spray issue on the top side of the piston.
    Ok so how much would it cost to have my injectors tested and rebuilt if possible? Worst case senario and if I was the luckiest guy around? I've heard a set of new injectors is probably more than my mortgage payment. Ouch. All I'm looking for is a educated guess. Thanks @AccurateDiesel

Sent by me

11. Top Of Page | #60
    Permanent Vacation AccurateDiesel's Avatar

User Info Menu

Testing the injectors runs $25 each. Quality remanufactured injectors (New solenoids on every one / updated DGV style nozzle) - $235 each or brand NEW OEM injectors - $330 each. Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

12. Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast