Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Rolling Coal... when it shouldn't.

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Angry 2012 Rolling Coal... when it shouldn't.

Hey! This is now my second forum post... ever!

I need help!

I have a 2012 6.7L 6speed manual cummins. It is basically stock. Has a leveling kit and cold air intake. Here's my problem...
    My 2012 is rolling coal when it shouldn't. It blows black smoke when I really step on it in low gears. Or down shifting then stepping on it causes it to do it as well. Does anyone know why it would do that? I do not have a straight pipe or chip or anything! Just the intake. Which I have had some issues with it but I do not know if that is related or not. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I don't want to bring it to the dealer just yet and have them charge me up the *** if its something I can fix myself.

THANKS!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paigec333 View Post
    Hey! This is now my second forum post... ever!

I need help!

I have a 2012 6.7L 6speed manual cummins. It is basically stock. Has a leveling kit and cold air intake. Here's my problem...
    My 2012 is rolling coal when it shouldn't. It blows black smoke when I really step on it in low gears. Or down shifting then stepping on it causes it to do it as well. Does anyone know why it would do that? I do not have a straight pipe or chip or anything! Just the intake. Which I have had some issues with it but I do not know if that is related or not. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I don't want to bring it to the dealer just yet and have them charge me up the *** if its something I can fix myself.

THANKS!
    A 2012 should never roll coal if all it has is an intake mod. I mean, if the truck still has the factory DPF in place, it shouldn't smoke at all.

Did you buy the truck used? I'm wondering if the truck has been deleted and is using SIMS or resistors at the exhaust sensors for the delete. Trucks deleted with Sims only, smoke terribly.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

What he said^^^^^^^^

I ran sims for a while and it would smoke pretty good.

Can you post an pics of the exhaust under the truck?

2012 Lonestar Edition Mineral Gray 3500 DRW CrewCab 4x4 6.7/68RFE 3.73, 125,000 miles and climbing, Revmax Valvebody, AFE Bladerunner Intake horn, Michellin LTX AT2, CHR550 Lockpick, Mopar Kicker Speaker Upgrades, Mopar Kicker 10" Sub, Synergy Steering Box Brace, Edge CTS Insight

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Bought it brand new!!! So no deletes at all! That's why it is so confusing. My service intake light comes on a lot when the truck goes through mud. filter gets a little wet but once dry the warning light goes off. Also, when run through puddles every now and then I will have a warning light saying "Service exhaust system - see dealer immediately". Dealer says that if I let the vehicle sit for a bit it clears itself out and is fine. Which usually is the case. But regardless, it should not be blowing black smoke at all. I know that. It is a slight puff of pure black. doesn't actually pour out like deletes will do.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

DPF must be faulty or has a hole in it or something to let the particulate matter get past it.

2012 Lonestar Edition Mineral Gray 3500 DRW CrewCab 4x4 6.7/68RFE 3.73, 125,000 miles and climbing, Revmax Valvebody, AFE Bladerunner Intake horn, Michellin LTX AT2, CHR550 Lockpick, Mopar Kicker Speaker Upgrades, Mopar Kicker 10" Sub, Synergy Steering Box Brace, Edge CTS Insight

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paigec333 View Post
    Bought it brand new!!! So no deletes at all! That's why it is so confusing. My service intake light comes on a lot when the truck goes through mud. filter gets a little wet but once dry the warning light goes off. Also, when run through puddles every now and then I will have a warning light saying "Service exhaust system - see dealer immediately". Dealer says that if I let the vehicle sit for a bit it clears itself out and is fine. Which usually is the case. But regardless, it should not be blowing black smoke at all. I know that. It is a slight puff of pure black. doesn't actually pour out like deletes will do.
    This is interesting. If you can get smoke past a DPF, then your poor DPF is getting a workout! It won't last long like that. The first place is obviously check and make sure sensors didn't get upset with the intake mod. I wouldn't hurt to clean or replace your map sensor. The egr will cover those with soot and cause a stock or even deleted truck to run poorly.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

You can probably get it replaced under warranty depending if you haven't put to many miles on it yet.

Those filters aren't cheap somewhere in the $2,500 neighborhood.

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

here's the pics of my exhaust system. No additions done. Like i said. intake is upgraded. cold air afe intake. Turbo is fine last i checked 2 weeks ago. exhaust break works fine. then it goes to the exhaust system. Something is very not right.

Attached Images Attached Images

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I have 55k on it. still under power train. the dealership owes me so they will probably cover it as long as its not something damaged and its just faulty. I was hoping it was something easy that I could fix myself. I will try cleaning it, checking the sensors etc.
    I do have a check engine codes on randomly. Last time it read 4 codes, and this was a few weeks ago but they cleared on their own.
    P2196 O2 SENSOR 1/1 OUT OF RANGE LOW
    P2281 AIR LEAK BETWEEN MAF AND THROTTLE BODY
    P014C O2 SENSOR 1/1 SLOW RESPONSE – RICH TO LEAN
    P241A O2 SENSOR 1/1 AND 1/2 OXYGEN CONCENTRATION MISMATCH

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I think emmisions warranty is 60K might check with them on that.

O2 sensor seem to be a pretty common thing to act up on these trucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast