Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15

Thread: Tool box???

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tool box???

I'm looking to get a tool box for my truck. Can't decide on over the rails or on the floor style. I like over the rails because it makes the bed not look 27ft long. LOL. And can still haul plywood. But also like flush on the floor for peace of mind when filling it heavy. Looking to see what everyone likes better? Maybe I'm missing an idea.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

2. Likes walla2k5, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tool box???

Personally I prefer a cross box, mainly because it's easier to access and keep the ability to use the whole floor of the bed.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

4. Likes 03 unicorn, david3gen, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I also agree with @walla2k5 for floor space and easier access

6. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Booch035 View Post
    I'm looking to get a tool box for my truck. Can't decide on over the rails or on the floor style. I like over the rails because it makes the bed not look 27ft long. LOL. And can still haul plywood. But also like flush on the floor for peace of mind when filling it heavy. Looking to see what everyone likes better? Maybe I'm missing an idea.
    I have had several styles and prefer the over the rail personally with one lid opening (not split) like mentioned it’s great being able to slide in a piece of plywood when needed or other items. If you are concerned about weight I would just look for a higher quality box. I use mine for air tank, tarps, straps, and several standard tools (ratchet sets, pliers, screwdrivers etc) with no issue.

Mine is a black husky I got from Home Depot that was on clearance for some reason for $130. I’ve been in Lowe’s and Home Depot several times since and usually there is always one or two boxes over 50% off for scratch and dent or just old models they are moving - Craigslist is a cost effective option as well if on a somewhat budget. If money weren’t an issue I’d go UWS

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes 03 unicorn, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

If your looking to buy a real toolbox look at weather guard on the floor or crossbox or what ever else you may need

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I think I decided on an over the rails for more bed space. Weatherguard would be nice but but thinking about slightly cheaper one. More money to put towards other stuff one available for the 19's. LOL.

11. Likes cumminsbadgirl, 03 unicorn liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

tractor supply has a nice cross box with rails on top of the lid to strap things down, I think they only come in black though

13. Likes 03 unicorn liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    tractor supply has a nice cross box with rails on top of the lid to strap things down, I think they only come in black though
    I was checking that one out online the other day.

I'm still on the fence what brand to get. TSC, Delta, Husky, so many out there.

Not sure which of the cheaper might be slightly better.

I am looking to get a black one.

15. Likes 03 unicorn liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Personally I have the weather guard cross box. It’s deeper than any of the cheaper brands and way better built.

I’ve tried the tractor supply route before and the locks always seemed cheesy and the lid would warp and leak.

Figured if I’m gonna keep a couple grand worth of tools in it, it was worth spending the extra money on a nice box.

I’m also in and out of it constantly if I wasn't using it everyday for work the cheaper box may have been fine.

2018 Peterbilt 389, Cummins x15, 565hp/2050tq
    2012, 2500, level kit, 35x12.5x20s, some other odds and ends. Soon to be deleted if I can still get parts.....

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fkrupin View Post
    Personally I have the weather guard cross box. It’s deeper than any of the cheaper brands and way better built.

I’ve tried the tractor supply route before and the locks always seemed cheesy and the lid would warp and leak.

Figured if I’m gonna keep a couple grand worth of tools in it, it was worth spending the extra money on a nice box.

I’m also in and out of it constantly if I wasn't using it everyday for work the cheaper box may have been fine.

Love my weatherguard toolboxes some of the best boxes money can buy

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs