Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proper head gasket testing...

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Proper head gasket testing...

What exactly is the proper test to determine a blown head gasket? I've read all different methods of testing. Just wasn't sure which is correct. I am getting a little bit of white smoke on startup and the smell is a little different than what I'd describe as diesel.

I've put the oil cap on the fill hole upside down and it doesn't pop off like has been talked about. I did notice a fine smoke coming from the fill hole though. Didn't know if that was normal.

I can't see where I'm losing or gaining any oil either.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Proper head gasket testing...

Quote Originally Posted by SB09 View Post
    What exactly is the proper test to determine a blown head gasket? I've read all different methods of testing. Just wasn't sure which is correct. I am getting a little bit of white smoke on startup and the smell is a little different than what I'd describe as diesel.

I've put the oil cap on the fill hole upside down and it doesn't pop off like has been talked about. I did notice a fine smoke coming from the fill hole though. Didn't know if that was normal.

I can't see where I'm losing or gaining any oil either.
    The oil cap test as you mentioned is to check for blow by. The fine smoke coming from the filler neck is normal, diesels naturally have a little blow by, that's what the crank case vent filter is for is to catch that stuff instead of venting it to the atmosphere, it also acts as a sort of sealant to keep pressure on the top end which helps hold it together a little bit. As far as checking for blown head gasket, if you notice truck running warmer than usual, see bubbling in the puke tank, as well as smell antifreeze excessively. As for the puff of white smoke on startup does it only do it when it's been sitting over night, or been sitting all day without being ran?

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Also how many miles are on your truck?

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

16,000 miles. Seems to do it mostly when sitting for 6+ hrs. I wouldn't normally worry about the smoke. This just smells funny to what I'm used to.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Truck operates around 201 on oil temp. 192 on coolant. 92-95 degree temps when I see those numbers.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Pulling 12k lbs it sat at 204-206 oil temp.

7. Thanks foxmecx thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SB09 View Post
    16,000 miles. Seems to do it mostly when sitting for 6+ hrs. I wouldn't normally worry about the smoke. This just smells funny to what I'm used to.
    The coolant temp you're seeing is normal.The white puff of smoke is fine it's just unburned fuel. As far as the smell goes have you changed where you've been getting you're fuel from? If not they could've changed to a different quality fuel or changed the way the made the fuel.

9. Thanks SB09 thanked for this post
    Likes SB09 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #8

actually this morning i had the same issue. Started it had a decent size puff of white smoke and went away. Made me worry, but all else was normal no hard cranking or rough idle. Drove it around no issues. Let it sit while at work for 9 hours start it and small puff a white smoke.

11. Thanks SB09 thanked for this post
    Likes SB09 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jsmash21 View Post
    actually this morning i had the same issue. Started it had a decent size puff of white smoke and went away. Made me worry, but all else was normal no hard cranking or rough idle. Drove it around no issues. Let it sit while at work for 9 hours start it and small puff a white smoke.
    @jsmash21, Is your truck deleted? What tuner? @SB09 are you custom tuned by Ray or are you still running the box tuning?

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Proper head gasket testing...

Quote Originally Posted by jsmash21 View Post
    That's good to hear it's something I'm not the only one experiencing.

I always thought black smoke was normal. White smoke no Bueno.

14. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast