Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you use a leveling kit on an already lifted Ram 3500?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Can you use a leveling kit on an already lifted Ram 3500?

I was wanting to get input from some people on if I can use a 2" leveling kit on my 2011 ram 3500 that already has a lift? It has aftermarket linkage arms and believe it is a 6" lift. I have been told I can and that I can not, but have not been provided any technical information on why either way...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Can you use a leveling kit on an already lifted Ram 3500?

Can you stack lifts? Yes.
    Should you? No.

Suspension geometry and wheel travel have a lot to do with why you shouldn't stack lifts. Generally speaking, people will do a 6" suspension, and then throw a 2" leveling spacer on the truck for an effective 8" lift; which it sounds like you are trying to do. I will link to a discussion -> https://www.ramforum.com/threads/lif...l-stack.96691/ that goes over the technicals about this.

The question I have is, what are you trying to accomplish? Are you just simply looking to go from a 6" to a 8" lift? The general recommendation if you are just looking for extra height is to opt for a body lift vs. stacking suspension lifts.

4. Thanks david3gen, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen, watersupply189, PilotDude liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Can you stack lifts? Yes.
    Should you? No.

Suspension geometry and wheel travel have a lot to do with why you shouldn't stack lifts. Generally speaking, people will do a 6" suspension, and then throw a 2" leveling spacer on the truck for an effective 8" lift; which it sounds like you are trying to do. I will link to a discussion -> https://www.ramforum.com/threads/lif...l-stack.96691/ that goes over the technicals about this.

The question I have is, what are you trying to accomplish? Are you just simply looking to go from a 6" to a 8" lift? The general recommendation if you are just looking for extra height is to opt for a body lift vs. stacking suspension lifts.
    Couldn't agree more.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes RamIt, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I am just trying to get it to level out. The nose is about 2" lower that the back of the truck.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Scott View Post
    I am just trying to get it to level out. The nose is about 2" lower that the back of the truck.

Have you considered lowering the back of the truck vs raising the front?

The rake is built into the suspension systems to maintain payload capacity with out bottoming the rear out. So keep in mind that removing that rake, will reduce your payload capacity.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    Couldn't agree more.
    When I jacked it up to check the ball joints, I noticed how much more level it sat. When I measured it, I found it to be about 2.5in difference in height from the axle to the ground.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Have you considered lowering the back of the truck vs raising the front?

The rake is built into the suspension systems to maintain payload capacity with out bottoming the rear out. So keep in mind that removing that rake, will reduce your payload capacity.
    If I remove any of the lift from the rear then it will squat in the rear. Right now, when I am towing my trailer fully loaded it sits level. That's with a 24' young hitch trailer and 4000lb+ car and misc items in the trailer.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

If I remove any of the lift from the rear then it will squat in the rear. Right now, when I am towing my trailer fully loaded it sits level. That's with a 24' young hitch trailer and 4000lb+ car and misc items in the trailer.

Tongue hitch*

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

If you raise the front at all, you're going to squat in the rear too.

I guess I don't understand your goal. You can't level the truck and not have squat while loaded with a static suspension setup. You need to be looking at air bags for the rear if you want to be level at all times.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

If you raise the front at all, you're going to squat in the rear too.

I guess I don't understand your goal. You can't level the truck and not have squat while loaded with a static suspension setup. You need to be looking at air bags for the rear if you want to be level at all times.
    I just want to achieve a level ride height when not loaded. I can and will run bags if the need is there. Easiest way to explain it is that it seems that what ever lift kit was used to lift this truck, the springs have possibly been beaten on a bit to much and the nose end is now 2" lower than it would be if the ride height set the truck almost level. I say almost because it still will sit higher, but would not have the nose dive it currently has.

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast