Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&B Cold Air Intake Question?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

S&B Cold Air Intake Question?

Good morning guys and gals, I noticed lately after looking down into my S&B intake that the factory gate valve (or whatever the correct name for it is) is only opened up about half of an inch as you can see in the picture. I can only see it at idle of course so is it opening up once I'm driving the truck down the road? Just seems like it should be open a little more to allow more airflow. And I'm fully deleted with warp tuning from DRD and every once in a while I'll get a "Service Airbox" message on my dash display.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes david3gen, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: S&B Cold Air Intake Question?

I'd like to hear on this. My older truck has the K&N and there is NO restrictions in the setup. Or I should say the only restriction is the element.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes david3gen, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SMASHER View Post
    Good morning guys and gals, I noticed lately after looking down into my S&B intake that the factory gate valve (or whatever the correct name for it is) is only opened up about half of an inch as you can see in the picture. I can only see it at idle of course so is it opening up once I'm driving the truck down the road? Just seems like it should be open a little more to allow more airflow. And I'm fully deleted with warp tuning from DRD and every once in a while I'll get a "Service Airbox" message on my dash display.
    It's my understanding, it will open on an as needed basis. When do you get the service airbox message, at WOT or normal driving?

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

6. Likes david3gen, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    It's my understanding, it will open on an as needed basis. When do you get the service airbox message, at WOT or normal driving?

It only comes on my dash display about every 3-4 times that a crank the truck up.

8. Likes david3gen, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SMASHER View Post
    It only comes on my dash display about every 3-4 times that a crank the truck up.
    Hard to tell by the picture, but is the filter element blocking the active air door by chance? May be it's not opening up all the way when you start the pickup. I'm sure someone that has had this issue will chime in.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

10. Likes david3gen, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    Hard to tell by the picture, but is the filter element blocking the active air door by chance? May be it's not opening up all the way when you start the pickup. I'm sure someone that has had this issue will chime in.

No there's no restrictions near the filter, there's plenty of room for the door to actuate back and forth.

12. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Screenshot_20180728-082843_Gallery.jpg Remove the dam as long as the weather is good in your area and see if the improved airflow makes a difference. Also, you might have to check the swing gate sensor plug underneath the air box and the two sensors on the intake tube to see if they're connected properly. Good luck.

14. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Where is this panel at exactly ?
    Between the filter and the turbo suction tube ?
    Between the under the bumper nozzle and the main housing ?

Sorry ... got the instruction manual from S&B and finally see how it is put together. Is this really needed ? On the older models there is a cover we can put over the opening (of the what I call the bumper snout) during rain or snow. But I have yet to use one and been everywhere with my truck without issue. And that included crossing small streams.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

16. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Where is this panel at exactly ?
    Between the filter and the turbo suction tube ?
    Between the under the bumper nozzle and the main housing ?

Sorry ... got the instruction manual from S&B and finally see how it is put together. Is this really needed ? On the older models there is a cover we can put over the opening (of the what I call the bumper snout) during rain or snow. But I have yet to use one and been everywhere with my truck without issue. And that included crossing small streams.

I was under the impression that it had to be put back inside the cold air intake so I reinstalled it, if it's not needed then it seems like it really would help out airflow if it wasn't installed!

18. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

From what I understand, it is there to prevent water, snow, ice and such from being sucked into the intake. In the older version like I have, the snout that goes under the front bumper is straight to the main box and they sell a cheap plastic cover that goes over the opening under the bumper. It actually doesn't work worth anything. The couple times I thought I should block the lower inlet, I wrapped a towel around some foam and shoved it into the lower tube for a few days, then when I could took it out. But by not driving it hard and sucking mage amounts of air, the towel was dry, I really didn't needed it. he most amount of air is coming from the hole that is pulling from the fender area. Still outside the firewall yet not where the water and such it. I'd say pull it, but its your truck and you have to be the actual one to decide.

If the door doesn't seem to be opening enough, is the actuator in need of a cleaning or lube to verify free movement ?
    What actually determines what will actuate it to open / close ?

Jim

20. Likes watersupply189, Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast