Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  70
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guidance on Buying a Cummins....5.9L or 6.7L now?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Guidance on Buying a Cummins....5.9L or 6.7L now?

Hello everyone!

First post beyond my initial introduction post.

I am currently in the market for a Cummins; I plan on purchasing a truck in January when I get back into the US.

I have been doing some heavy research into these trucks the past couple of months and feel like I have a good foundation of basic knowledge on what to look for when purchasing (not modified or as little as possible).

I've done some research into the differences between 5.9L and 6.7L, which motor is in which year models, etcetera.

My budget is around $20k, and I'm really just going to look for the cleanest, lowest mileage truck I can find.

Prior to some recent events, I had been open to a 5.9L or 6.7L, they both have pros and cons and will fit what I will be using the truck for (daily driver, not much towing and not crazy racing or anything).

I really just want a clean daily driver, that sounds good, and has the extra power there if I want to play around.

However, I feel like I need to shy away from the 6.7Ls now that it is becoming very difficult to do any deletes and delete tuning to them anymore.

I know there was another thread posted that posed a similar question.

Should I lean more towards a 5.9L now to avoid having to find delete parts and the tuning required to accomplish that?

It seems as if most US companies are going away with any tuning to achieve a delete on a 6.7L.

Thanks in advance for the guidance on this!

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Guidance on Buying a Cummins....5.9L or 6.7L now?

Well, only way you’re gittin a 5.9L now is in a well used truck, assumin you find one that somebody wanted to part with.

Folks is holdin on to them thangs for as long as they can.

Good stuff.... Truckers bring it

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
    Well, only way you’re gittin a 5.9L now is in a well used truck, assumin you find one that somebody wanted to part with.

Folks is holdin on to them thangs for as long as they can.
    You ain't lying but a diamond in the rough pops out every once in a while.

I found my 03 6 speed a year ago with 103930 on the clock.

6. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I have found a few in my searches; I don't really mind deleting and modifying a 6.7 to get it where it should be to operate efficiently and effectively, I'm just concerned about the ability to do so anymore.

8. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

You can still find 5.9 with under 100,000 miles and one owner. But your going to pay $25K -30K.

You can get a really nice 4th gen 6.7 for that. Once again, take your time, look around. You will have to be willing to travel to get it.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

10. Likes watersupply189, 03 unicorn, Power247 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wy4x4 View Post
    You can still find 5.9 with under 100,000 miles and one owner. But your going to pay $25K -30K.

You can get a really nice 4th gen 6.7 for that. Once again, take your time, look around. You will have to be willing to travel to get it.
    I know I was lucky when I found my truck just over an hour from my house

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

12. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Just Traded my 2007 5.9 24mpg hwy . miss it already, Purchased our first 2006 5.9 non 4x4 in Va .27 mpg hwy , Then purchased a new 2009 6.7 after 90 days returned to dealer told to shove it up their A$$ after almost getting in a accident 5 times from Regine mode stopping the truck in the fast lane with my family . Note to Cummins ,sorry not going to purchase anything from your factory New with a EGR or DPF , The day your engineers stop trying to get ahead of themselves with out proper R & D . Cummins could do much better with tuning than all this garbage. Purchased a 4th gen now and sorting things out ,JMHO.. Our 2007 clean stock > https://www.langloisautoandtruck.com...-2500/57850508

13. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

That is quite the find Unicorn, I sell trucks like that out here for AT LEAST 20K. Want to sell? =)

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

15. Likes watersupply189, 03 unicorn, Power247 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wy4x4 View Post
    That is quite the find Unicorn, I sell trucks like that out here for AT LEAST 20K. Want to sell? =)
    That's why I called my user name unicorn because I knew if I let it pass by i would never find another. Its exactly what I was looking for 2500 diesel 4 door lwb 6 speed 4x4 and it had just under 104 on the clock. 2 owner but the last had it 15 years and all stock.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

17. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10
    Permanent Vacation GrowingSouthFarms's Avatar

User Info Menu

I'd save some more money and up your budget personally. No matter which one you choose, with a $20K budget you need to think about having some money in the bank to fix some things down the road. 5.9 is a great engine but the 3rd gen at this point is more then likely going to need work in other areas. The front end in particular. Plan on ball joints, hubs, bearing, tie rods etc. in the near future. 4th gen chassis is definitely more comfortable and a better driver in my opinion. 6 speed transmission is also a bonus over the 4 on the 3rd gen. Just some more things to think about. It's not all about the engine.

19. Likes 03 unicorn, watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast