Likes Likes:  56
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019+ fuel pump

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2019+ fuel pump

Hi all,

Just a curiosity here.

Will be doing some truck shopping over the next while and just came to realize that the 2019+ models switched from the reliable CP3 to a CP4 pump.

Just curious as to how the revamped CP4 pump does in the new trucks?

May be a factor in how new of a truck I look into getting.

Thanks for any info.

2. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2019+ fuel pump

@DRD might know as they have been working on tuning the 2019 trucks..

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Thanks watersupply189, BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

#1 killer of CP4.2s is owner caused. And the big factor is air ingestion into the pump.

Don’t run your truck out of fuel, properly prime it on filter changes, and don’t use low quality fuel additives, and you should never have an issue.

Only thing I’ll say after 3000 miles is that the 4.2 is incredibly noisy compared to the CP3.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

In the Ecodiesel world there were very few CP4 failures. All the advice above to keep things clean and primed is VERY important. Some of those pumps are upwards of 300,000 miles and one just touched 600,000 miles with no issues. I had one for 114,000 miles with no hint of an issue.

Now here I am a real newbie with little mechanical prowess. A friend told me twice over the past three months about two different 2019 Cummins units that had CP4 failures. In both cases he stated that Cummins decided to just replace the entire motor rather than deal with cleaning out the fuel systems and replacing what was damaged. I cannot substantiate that. Those experienced moderators and "old timers" here probably know a whole lot more and my info. could be incorrect.

Knowing that I just bought a new 2500 with the CP4. First think I wanted to figure out was how to prime and prime some more when I finally get around to changing the fuel filters. That is the one thing i read about that is critical for the CP4 and not so for the CP3. There is also some kind of bypass<safety kit being offered to install that is supposed to collect any metal fragments before they enter the fuel system after the pump. Think I saw it around $300 or a bit more. After I get some mileage on and after I trash my warranty with some form of delete it is something I will look into getting.

Relax, keep a constant supply of fuel to the pump and you should be fine. We all hope so.

8. Thanks watersupply189, Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Polaraco liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    #1 killer of CP4.2s is owner caused. And the big factor is air ingestion into the pump.

Don’t run your truck out of fuel, properly prime it on filter changes, and don’t use low quality fuel additives, and you should never have an issue.

Only thing I’ll say after 3000 miles is that the 4.2 is incredibly noisy compared to the CP3.
    When is you pump noisy???

These 19's barely make any noise.

Hahaha.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Booch035 View Post
    When is you pump noisy???

These 19's barely make any noise.

Hahaha.
    At idle. Sounds like plastic rattling around. Second the truck comes off idle it smooths out.

11. Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Ok, good stuff to know. Running out of fuel won’t be an issue with me, don’t let my vehicles get much below 1/4 tank.

Just had concerns after hearing how much issues people were having with the cp4.

13. Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

My understanding is the issue was common for Duramax owners. There was no fuel lift pump so that caused issues with the CP4.

no first hand knowledge even though I had a 2001 Duramax for 150,000miles. Too uninformed to know of these things back then. Also had to deal with constant injector failures that made operation and ownership a major failed experience.

Other than the two failures I heard of that, none have replied with details that there were such things. Rather than lie in your fears,wait a few years and learn more over time. Now what you drive during that time is another issue.

15. Thanks watersupply189, Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960, Polaraco liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9
    Permanent Vacation Chrisn162001's Avatar

User Info Menu

I’ve had one cp4 failure in the new Cummins it was low mileage 9000 miles. Cummins sent a complete motor. Pretty common for them to send a new motor on low mile substantial failures. That being said Ive seen a lot of high mile high idle hour new Cummins trucks and they have been doing pretty good so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes Power247, CaptainMal, watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisn162001 View Post
    I’ve had one cp4 failure in the new Cummins it was low mileage 9000 miles. Cummins sent a complete motor. Pretty common for them to send a new motor on low mile substantial failures. That being said Ive seen a lot of high mile high idle hour new Cummins trucks and they have been doing pretty good so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the substantiation. You ever get a hint on if there was a reason for it, like air in the line, fuel issues etc? Knowing if something external may have caused the failure or just a bad part in the pump would be helpful.

Also curious about just what or how much damage was caused by that pump failure. If it would happen to someone out of warranty that also would be useful knowledge to determine what might be involved fixing the mess.

19. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast