Thanks Thanks:  119
Likes Likes:  235
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's have some Fun WHY DID YOU GET THE TRUCK YOU ARE DRIVING TODAY?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question Let's have some Fun WHY DID YOU GET THE TRUCK YOU ARE DRIVING TODAY?

I thought we could start a interesting thread. What about you?

I've had 14 Cummins over my short career. The first one was a self aspirated 4 speed W250.

I traded my 08 in 6 years ago and got my 03, which I have taken super care of. It has left me hanging a couple of times though. @F350Cummins has had to come to my rescue twice.

I wanted to get away from the emissions for starters. I don't need a 4X4 as I don't get into messes and have done well with it as a RWD. I loved the color combo, 1 year only. I like the early 3rd gens more than the 4th gens too. Some Parts are harder to find, but it costs less to maintain. Over time I have built in my favorite extras like an exhaust brake, air bags and on board compressors. I had an 04 which I loved. But this one I rigged better for towing.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Let's have some Fun WHY DID YOU GET THE TRUCK YOU ARE DRIVING TODAY?

BTW, I also had a 77 250 with a Mitsubishi self aspirated 6 cylinder. If I remember, it developed 90 HP, but was unstoppable. I later found an aftermarket turbo kit for a steal. Woke it right up, but had a turbo lag.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Because my 2014 Ram lone star Eco Diesel was nothing but pure junk!
    Ram bought my truck back and gave me one heck of a deal on my 2016 Laramie 3500. Having a G56 in it was icing on the cake!
    This is my second Cummins. My first was a 98.5 Dodge 3500 dually 12Valve with a manual transmission. Only got rid of that because the fenders, rocker panels and cab mounts rusted clean in two! Wish I had kept the ole girl for the motor. Oh well hind sight is 20/20....

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

5. Thanks Polaraco, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    Because my 2014 Ram lone star Eco Diesel was nothing but pure junk!
    Ram bought my truck back and gave me one heck of a deal on my 2016 Laramie 3500. Having a G56 in it was icing on the cake!
    This is my second Cummins. My first was a 98.5 Dodge 3500 dually 12Valve with a manual transmission. Only got rid of that because the fenders, rocker panels and cab mounts rusted clean in two! Wish I had kept the ole girl for the motor. Oh well hind sight is 20/20....

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!
    There's a guy near me that has one of those. He's been doing great with it. He said he only had one exhaust issue with it, fixed under warranty. He has 100+K on it last I talked to him.

What happened to yours?

7. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Just days before I retired I ran into my truck at the dealers. Had to have my mistress.

Only problem she gave me was when diesel was $4 a gallon ... was like making a house payment at each fill up.

Since I bought her, never had a thought of trading her in or getting another.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I was already eyeballing the 5th gens because I loved my 4th gen. I also said that I wouldn't buy another truck unless I was ordering exactly what I wanted.

That said, someone did me the courtesy of hitting my Camaro, and my preferred dealer didn't bury me on trade, so here we are!

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Well...I have always been a Chevrolet guy and have had many of the 90s body gas trucks but needed a truck to pull my 24 foot all steel horse trailer better. Then comes the search for a diesel. I told my wife I have certern requirements... diesel, 4x4, crew cab(because young kids), and most importantly a manual transmission (because I'm not a fan of an automatic). Then the search comes and finally after many months of searching I found my "perfect" truck just over a year ago about an hour from my house for a good deal. It's a low mileage 104000 at the time white 2003 2500 crew cab long bed 4x4 6 speed nv5600.

10. Thanks Polaraco, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    There's a guy near me that has one of those. He's been doing great with it. He said he only had one exhaust issue with it, fixed under warranty. He has 100+K on it last I talked to him.

What happened to yours?
    Numerous things... O2 sensors going bad, oil in the coolant reservoir, heater/AC blend motor shorting out, all kinds of wiring issues. Paint coming off the rocker panels. Several other issues. The 14 months I’ve had it, it was at the dealership 22 times for CEL’s. CEL came on less than the first 100 miles I put on it from new. I was averaging 29 mpg until they flashed the computer and after that the best I could get was 22 mpg on the highway and 17 mpg city... pure JUNK!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

12. Thanks Polaraco, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen, cumminsbadgirl, Polaraco liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    I was already eyeballing the 5th gens because I loved my 4th gen. I also said that I wouldn't buy another truck unless I was ordering exactly what I wanted.
    That’s how I got mine. I wanted a full size truck with a manual trans and a Ram with a dissel was the only option.

14. Thanks Polaraco, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

In 2009 we started our 5-year retirement plan. We knew our ultimate goal was to become full-time RVers, and started looking at trucks. I knew I wanted a Cummins, and knew it would need to be a dually as fifth wheels that are built for full-time use are heavier than most. Wanted 4WD as we lived/worked in NE Tennessee at the time and even though it wouldn’t be my daily driver, I had the 4WD for snow when I needed it. (Side note: 4-low comes in handy when backing a 15k fiver up a hill into your site). I also wanted it to have 40-50k on the clock before we hit the open road to work out any potential kinks (there we none). I also wanted to be debt-free.

Here we are, 5 years later with 135k on the clock. Deleted with RaceMe Ultra at 80k due to DPF clogging issues (wish I had known about @DRD at the time). No issues whatsoever to date. The RAM/Cummins combo has met or exceeded my expectations based upon the research I did pre-purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast