Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  24
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Driveline Shudder

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Driveline Shudder

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    So after a lot of research, I've figured this out.

The shudder is from being geared too low and turning too few rpms at 60mph. Downshifting to 5th makes it stop and so does accelerating to 72mph.

According to math, cross multiplying the gear ratio against tire size shows that this issue can be resolved with 3.73 gears.

So if anyone else is experiencing shudder on the highway around 60mph, and you have 35s and 3.42 gears....regearing to 3.73 will solve the issue by bringing the rpms back into the correct range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

So, how did you fix this. Because this week is the 1st time that I have ever noticed this
    happening to my truck. And I have been running 35s on 3.42 gears for 2 years now. I dont know if it is my exhaust is tapping my B&W hitch or if it has something to do with driveline. My exhaust has very minimal clearance and I'm wondering if the drone vibration at 60mph is what's causeing this noise. I'm a little worried because this has never made this noise or feeling before.

2. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larry1009 View Post
    So, how did you fix this. Because this week is the 1st time that I have ever noticed this
    happening to my truck. And I have been running 35s on 3.42 gears for 2 years now. I dont know if it is my exhaust is tapping my B&W hitch or if it has something to do with driveline. My exhaust has very minimal clearance and I'm wondering if the drone vibration at 60mph is what's causeing this noise. I'm a little worried because this has never made this noise or feeling before.
    I haven't fixed this. Can't afford to regear. But I opted to go with a significantly lighter wheel/tire combination. That has seemed to reduce the vibration.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

3. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Driveline Shudder

Mine shakes pretty bad when it's under throttle past 65-70 mph
    I also have 35x12.5 mud graps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Would love to know if any 3.73 guys experience this just to confirm that it is indeed a gearing issue.

Mathmatically it is, but would rather know first hand

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

6. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Driveline Shudder

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Would love to know if any 3.73 guys experience this just to confirm that it is indeed a gearing issue.

Mathmatically it is, but would rather know first hand

I've got the 3.73 gearing and running 35s, as soon as i can get out and test it for you, I will. Was supposed to take a road trip this weekend, but had to canx. Weather is supposed to be crappy the next few days, but I report back if/when I get her out on the highway. I've had WARP by Ray for 3 days and haven't had it going fast enough to get it above 5th gear but once at 60-65mph but then I hit traffic and had to take my foot off the skinny pedal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

7. Thanks RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

How much does it roughly cost to re gear to a 3.73 at a shop. I got a 15 with an aisin with 35x12.5 with 20s as well and I'm not positive but now that you say that I feel like I've experienced the same shudder but if so it's very little

2015 3500 Cummins w/ aisin, Kore leveling kit, bilstien 5100 shocks, 35x12.5r20 duratracs, fuel kleavers, buschwacker max coverage flares, 40" curved rough country light bar in bumper, putco silver lux led headlights, air lift rear air bags wirelessONE with onboard air, carli track bar, carli lower steering stabalizer, synergy steering box brace, afe cold air intake, raceme ultra with warp tuning by double r diesel, 5" TBE flo pro, full pusher intake, fass 150.

9. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    I've got the 3.73 gearing and running 35s, as soon as i can get out and test it for you, I will. Was supposed to take a road trip this weekend, but had to canx. Weather is supposed to be crappy the next few days, but I report back if/when I get her out on the highway. I've had WARP by Ray for 3 days and haven't had it going fast enough to get it above 5th gear but once at 60-65mph but then I hit traffic and had to take my foot off the skinny pedal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Please do!!! Thank you!

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

10. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DcLOLinger View Post
    How much does it roughly cost to re gear to a 3.73 at a shop. I got a 15 with an aisin with 35x12.5 with 20s as well and I'm not positive but now that you say that I feel like I've experienced the same shudder but if so it's very little
    Depends on your choice of gear brand. But probably around 1500 for parts and labor

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

11. Thanks DcLOLinger thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

3.73s and 35s here but mine is a 2012...no shutter but due to different suspension, might make a difference but I doubt it...I don't think you guys with coils experience axle wrap as leaf sprung suspensions do...I'm probably thinking too much into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes RamIt liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Alright, I have figured out what was making that tapping noise which what I thought could be shudder. Come to find out my exhaust is a flo pro 1669, which is made for the trucks 10-12 without coils. This was the only thing available when I purchased it for my '14. I have installed a B&W turnover hitch also. So what happens is that the exhaust comes up over the axle really high and is very close to the bottom (1/4 inch) of the hitch. The rubber mounting brackets has moved just enough that the right tone from the exhaust at 60mph was allowing the pipe to rattle against the hitch. With a little prying and moving, now I have about 1/2 inch clearance. No more sounds or rattle!!!

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247, RamIt liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast