Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil in exhaust pipe

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil in exhaust pipe

Good evening everyone,

I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light in my direction. So, i just recently deleted my truck this past weekend and today i noticed oil in my exhaust pipe. Not sure if this is "normal" to see without the DPF and SCR in the way to absorb it. Any ideas if this is normal or something else is brewing?

quick truck specs
    2015 2500
    16k miles
    EGR/ EGR cooler still in place just unhooked
    Warp tuning
    flo-pro 5" tbe
    no CEL's

oil is at the full mark on the dipstick just in case someone was going to ask..

Thanks for your input!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Oil in exhaust pipe

Every time I have seen oil in exhaust it means shot turbo. Could be way off with this but that's what my experiences consist of. Hope ya the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

That indeed looks like oil which I would say isn't normal. I use to have a pretty good sputter spray of a watery soot on the garage floor after deleting. It alarmed me into thinking it was a turbo seal of some sort that let loose. I chalked mine up to condensation.

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Laramie 4x4 AISIN 3.73 DRW - RaceMe Ultra / WARP by Double R Diesel
    2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 4x4 68RFE 3.73 - Mini Maxx MCC by Double R Diesel
    2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Laramie 4x4 Garmon 68RFE 3.73 - 500k+ miles Raceme Ultra / Warp by Double R Diesel

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I appreciate the replies. I think I may have just figured what it is. Upon closer inspection it looks like it may be the cutting grease used by the flo pro when they cut the pipe mixed with the spot. I noticed when installing the exhaust that there was tons of it inside the exhaust. It is super sticky and had a yellowish tint to it. Well, at least that's what I'm hoping if not perhaps a Turbo upgrade is in the future??

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I had this samething happen to my exhaust when I put it on. It is the cutting fluid that they use when cutting and bending the pipes. When the exhaust heats up from driving it starts to melt and runs all over, eventually it will go away. You have nothing to worry about.

6. Thanks dieseljeeper thanked for this post
    Likes dieseljeeper liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larry1009 View Post
    I had this samething happen to my exhaust when I put it on. It is the cutting fluid that they use when cutting and bending the pipes. When the exhaust heats up from driving it starts to melt and runs all over, eventually it will go away. You have nothing to worry about.
    Thanks for the reassurance Larry1009. Always nice to hear someone else had the same issue and it ended up ok.

8. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

That is funny. When I put my exhaust ystem on my truck, it had nothing like that. I was gonna agree with @Hulk

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Likes dieseljeeper liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    That is funny. When I put my exhaust ystem on my truck, it had nothing like that. I was gonna agree with @Hulk
    Chances are it;s the turbo. Coincidence.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I know when I took all my exhaust parts out of the box and put it on my truck, my hands were sticky from this stuff. It is just a thin layer but it was there.

12. Top Of Page | #10
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

If it is cutting oil, it will go away.
    If it's motor oil, it will increase in amount and your level will drop in the sump.
    Was that 16k on the mileage since puttibg on the exhaust ?
    Has the amount increased in the pipe ?

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast