Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just deleted and tuned

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question Just deleted and tuned

Hey all! Just deleted my 14' added a 4" FLO-PRO and accidentally put it on level 5 (150-200+ HP) was actually not meaning to do that. and had some fun to test out my new MM3 tuner from DRD. Trans is now slipping into 3RD and 4TH. It shifts kinda hard into 1st and 2nd but that was occurring before the delete. Gears after. 3rd and 4th are fine. Pulls nicely on the highway. I've tried it going slow into the throttle and heavy and it does the same. So my question is should I just check the fluid and possibly change it it/ replace filter or am I on the wrong side of a possibly rebuild? Also could it be something as cheap as a new converter and valve body? (Would go aftermarket obviously) I say cheap because compared to a new transmission it's cheaper obviously. But any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

2. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Just deleted and tuned

Did this happen right after you tuned? These are learning transmissions. And they do act a little soft until learned.

Check your fluids and see if it is burnt. And be easy for a couple hundred miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Yes as far as I can remember it was right after the tune. I drove it a little harder than I probably should have an I'm worried that in that short time, I damaged something. I drove easy for about 500 miles afterwards ( highway miles) as soon as I get off work I will check the fluid level

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Like mentioned before these transmission are a bit funky during the first few hundred miles of learning. There will be shift flare which is often thought of as slipping when changing gears.

if you can pull up the transmission status on your MM3- I forget the exact parameter but 8 is unlocked converter, 4 is semi, 2 is fully locked. This will give you a better understanding of what’s happening

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Likes Yamahamod liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Installing a new tune, putting it on the highest power level and immediately driving aggressively is just about the worst thing you could have done to your transmission.

If you are having problems with the 3-4 shift but the 4-5 shift is fine then I assume you are accustomed to normal shift flare and that is not what you are describing here. I doubt that it is a problem with the torque converter because that would be more apparent in the higher gears than it is in the lower gears. Doesn't sound like a valve body issue either.

I fear that damage has been done to the clutch packs. But its possible that it will start do drive better as the transmission has time to learn if there is still any healthy clutch material left.

I would put the truck on the lowest power setting and drive around gently/ normally for a couple weeks and see what happens. If the problem doesn't get better you may be looking at a complete rebuild.

Can you make and post a video of the problem occurring?

7. Likes Yamahamod liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

x2 on above comment about this being about the worst thing you could have done. A lot depends on the health of the transmission before tuning but if you've already drove 500 easy miles for it to relearn then i'd say your clutch packs or something else is toast.

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post
    Installing a new tune, putting it on the highest power level and immediately driving aggressively is just about the worst thing you could have done to your transmission.

If you are having problems with the 3-4 shift but the 4-5 shift is fine then I assume you are accustomed to normal shift flare and that is not what you are describing here. I doubt that it is a problem with the torque converter because that would be more apparent in the higher gears than it is in the lower gears. Doesn't sound like a valve body issue either.

I fear that damage has been done to the clutch packs. But its possible that it will start do drive better as the transmission has time to learn if there is still any healthy clutch material left.

I would put the truck on the lowest power setting and drive around gently/ normally for a couple weeks and see what happens. If the problem doesn't get better you may be looking at a complete rebuild.

Can you make and post a video of the problem occurring?
    I completely agree and like I said it was a total accident. I was still learning the tuner and didn't know wtf I was doing until I had already done it. Totally my bad but unintentional. I've kept it on stock tune ever since so I don't make anything worse until I get it figured out. I will post a video soon if I can figure out how to do that haha.

10. Likes Yamahamod liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Reflash it and then drive it easy for a few days and let it learn

12. Likes Yamahamod liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamHunter18 View Post
    Reflash it and then drive it easy for a few days and let it learn
    Reflash the ecm on the tuner? Sorry just making sure

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Ecm, flash back to stock then retune. That will reset your Cvi's so you can relearn the shifts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast