Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on this set up?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Opinion on this set up?

I've posted a few times and I've gathered some great information. I do appreciate all of it.

I drive a 2011 6.7 DRW deleted and tuned with an H&S mini maxx. The truck has 120k miles and other than that stock that I can tell.

I've been directed towards the 64.5/73/.91 HTT s300 direct replacement turbo that fits up and basically uses all of the same components.

Has anyone ever run or heard bad reviews on this?

I'm not looking to make extra power or go for a 2nd gen swap at the moment, just trying to get it back on the road since it hasn't moved in weeks.

This is a work truck for me and I don't want to spend a ton although that sounds bad but I also don't want to go cheap and have problems in the future.

Any input on anything would be greatly appreciated and looked into.

Thank you.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Opinion on this set up?

If your plan is to stay at 380hp or so a s300 will be more than fine. They are a touch small on the housing so a 66mm may work for you . The 6.7 can spool a big turbo. I have an Aurora 5000 on my 09 which is 71 mm and it spools pretty easy

4. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I'd rather have volume than pressure. That's what matters. Adding a few CFM at the same pressure will give it more kick and smoke less

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AnOldBiker, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

Quote Originally Posted by Capt543 View Post
    If your plan is to stay at 380hp or so a s300 will be more than fine. They are a touch small on the housing so a 66mm may work for you . The 6.7 can spool a big turbo. I have an Aurora 5000 on my 09 which is 71 mm and it spools pretty easy

Thanks for the reply. At the moment I just want reliability out of this truck so I'm fine with the power I do have.

Do you have or have you heard any opinions on HTT turbos?

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I'd rather have volume than pressure. That's what matters. Adding a few CFM at the same pressure will give it more kick and smoke less
    Thanks for replying.

Could you tell me what you mean by CFM and if this set up makes sense to what you're thinking?

10. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Natebrody11 View Post
    Thanks for replying.

Could you tell me what you mean by CFM and if this set up makes sense to what you're thinking?
    Overall, I'm turbo ignorant. I'm an engineer. CFM means Cubic Feet per Minute. What that means is the air is compressed tighter and your forcing more air into the cylinders. While pressure increases the flow, it's how tight you can make the air molecules.

I'm having trouble explaining this. Drugs, , , ,

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

Overall, I'm turbo ignorant. I'm an engineer. CFM means Cubic Feet per Minute. What that means is the air is compressed tighter and your forcing more air into the cylinders. While pressure increases the flow, it's how tight you can make the air molecules.

I'm having trouble explaining this. Drugs, , , ,

Haha oh no you're good I understand what you're saying, bad on my part not looking more into CFM.

I'm new to turbos and diesels in general so I'm just gathering bits a pieces. Is this where the sizes like 64.5, 67 and 71mm come into play?

That being said, would you agree that the size turbo I'm looking at is adequate based on that?

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Natebrody11 View Post
    Haha oh no you're good I understand what you're saying, bad on my part not looking more into CFM.

I'm new to turbos and diesels in general so I'm just gathering bits a pieces. Is this where the sizes like 64.5, 67 and 71mm come into play?

That being said, would you agree that the size turbo I'm looking at is adequate based on that?
    I'm thinking the 71MM would be better. That may be too big. It will fill the pipe better. I don't know what you have now. I don't have enough info.

CFM is a bad term for this. You want to increase your volume. Sorta like filling the pipe more completely.

I have the 351 in my truck which was about 2 mm more than my original turbo. My setup could still use more air.

I'm afraid I can't help you on the sizing.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

I'm thinking the 71MM would be better. That may be too big. It will fill the pipe better. I don't know what you have now. I don't have enough info.

CFM is a bad term for this. You want to increase your volume. Sorta like filling the pipe more completely.

I have the 351 in my truck which was about 2 mm more than my original turbo. My setup could still use more air.

I'm afraid I can't help you on the sizing.

That's totally alright I do appreciate the input ill keep that info in mind when looking into further things. I'm also currently looking into going back to school for engineering so it interests me.

Thanks a ton!

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

If I could do my turbo swap again I would go 2nd gen manifold with a s466 or 467 turbo. Larger housing than the s300 series which is what my Aurora 71mm is based off of

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast