Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions = To delete or not to delete

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Opinions = To delete or not to delete

I am sure this horse has been beaten many times and if I have missed a post somewhere I apologize. I have a 2011 Ram 3500 4x4 with 103,000 miles. I just purchased the truck and it is bone stock. I am doing allot of reading and am not sure what I want to do. I am asking for opinions of deleting the egr and DPF on my truck.

I do pull a camper in the summer quite a bit. I am not looking for big power, just a little more than stock. I am more looking for mileage improvements as well as longevity of the engine.

My truck is an automatic and one of the concerns I have is tranny problems when i use a tuner to get a little more power. Any experience or comments on this?

Any help or opinions you guys can provide would be appreciated. I am new to the Diesel world and just want to do things right and have a truck that will last me another 100K.

Thanks!!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

My opinion is delete it and save your engine .....Get rid of all the egr and DPF crap and let that truck breath, If your concerned about your trans , Get a tuner to rid all the deletes and run it in stock HP mode and your trans will be gtg...Get you a 4 or 5" exhaust from the turbo back ....

If you want to have a quick taste of what it will feel like , reach under the hood and simply unplug your EGR for a few miles around town and feel the difference in the trucks power....from plugged in to unplugged....It will hook you ....Now its going to throw a code and flash a light at you on the dash but truck will run much better ,,this is not a solution or a permanant thing ,just for you to see and feel the differnece but it wont hurt anything either .

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

IMO your truck is good for another 100k how it is. You need to routinely clean your egr and may need to replace the DPF before the next 100k is up possibly. with the egr in place your going to make a mess of your intake and over time choke down air flow gradually due to soot buildup and mpg's will gradually drop over time ( not too major).

I see it as harmful putting anything but clean air into the motor. Doing a delete your ridding that hot Exhaust air from recirculating into the motor in tune probably making it less fuel efficient. You can change that with tuning and that will add you "hp #" but it will be up to you and the skinny pedal to see the mpg numbers go up, but you will have the extra "power" at hand from the injection duration being fine tuned. With my current box tunes from the Raceme ultra I have seen greater mpgs at every "hp" setting I went up. Once some custom tunes are released there is no doubt that there will be much better mpgs seen at "safer" settings.

IMO if you go to modifying or deleting you should have an understanding of what your doing and ready to troubleshoot your truck or pay someone too if you do not have the mechanical knowhow. I dont think deleting or modifying is for everyone and I dont see it as a "set it and forget it" mod even though a lot of these tuners have been pretty well fine tuned and engineered. Me I have not had any issues in doing my deletes other than some minor bugs and quirks that ive had to adjust with box tunes but there is nothing that has left me stranded or stuck.

also keep in mind your truck is made for convienence to please the mass customer, making it extra quiet, keeping exhaust smell down, engine noise down, incab noise down, tranny shifting as unnoticable as possible and obviously emissions down. So if you delete the incab noise will be slightly more you will hear the engine a bit more and will have to train yourself on your tuner to operate it correctly.

this is my first diesel I have owned and deleted at 10k and never looked back. Truck is a beast, i get good mpgs makes my wife "excited" everytime she hears it or gets in it LOL, and i feel much better knowing my engine can breathe. I left all the cancer on for now just to verify nothing went wrong shortly after i deleted but im pushing 30k and no issues as of yet.

point being, i say educate yourself and delete!!

4. Likes RATLIN'HP, Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Being beyond the factory warranty, I'd say by all means delete it. Most trans problems are caused by a miscommunication between ones brain and their right foot.

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

6. Likes E.mccarthy7018, Matt C Moore liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Delete, no question. As the other guys said, it's far better for the longevity of your engine not to mention it makes it way more fun to drive and will give you better fuel economy.

As far as the transmission goes, some good custom tuning will help keep it happy and together. I'd recommend talking to Ray at Double R Diesel to get you all set up in that regard. Between that and his engine tuning you'll have a whole new truck from what you have now.

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I will support the Delete side. More power, more fun, and more reliable.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I work on heavy truck for a living and they are even starting to delete them. It costs an unbelievable amount to do, but they gain enough mpg to pay off in less than a year.

I would support E.mccarthy, learn all you can beforehand. Ray at Doublerdiesel is always helpful with answers, as are other vendors. I have been wrestling with this same question because I would like to keep the truck "legal". The problem I have is the huge repair expenses I have seen customers pay on these systems and I know first hand the extra wear inside the engine from feeding it carbon from exhaust.

My money is going to Ray next month for the Race ultra and I'll be deleting. If you have a significant other, you will save money on fuel which will "pay off" the expense in a reasonable time. Also, you are getting close to needing a DPF and EGR cleaning warning that will cost several hundred that you won't pay for ever again. Just don't pay any attention to the mpg reading on the dash. That was set up for a specific set of parameters that no longer apply. I go by how many days I can drive to work for my mpg.

11. Likes RATLIN'HP, E.mccarthy7018 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

You also need to understand the laws in your state and the places you like to travel. Some states are very sensitive to emissions laws, others aren't. Deleting is not a necessity but you will not get any better MPGs unless you do. The early 4th gens do not respond well emissions intact tuning.

My truck has been deleted since it's first oil change. Almost 40,000 miles later and not a single issue. I, like Brandon, have Ray's custom MCC tuning and I still grin from ear to ear everytime I hit the skinny pedal.

Being that you have an '11 you can pick up a H&S MiniMax or XRT Pro and add Ray's custom tuning without breaking the bank.

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCSB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

This is great information. It looks pretty unanimous that deleting is the way to go. 68multeem, if i do the deletes, should i pull the intake and clean? Any advantage to swapping the throttle valve?

Thanks everyone for the advice. I appreciate all of it!!

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1970rs View Post
    This is great information. It looks pretty unanimous that deleting is the way to go. 68multeem, if i do the deletes, should i pull the intake and clean? Any advantage to swapping the throttle valve?

Thanks everyone for the advice. I appreciate all of it!!
    Yes!!! You will want to clean everything you don't scrap when you delete. Intake horn, grid heater. The exhaust side will clean itself on the fist good drive after you delete

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCSB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes E.mccarthy7018, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast