Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel mileage

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Fuel mileage

Well I made a 480 mile round trip this morning. Empty and cruise set at 72mph. Rpms at ~1500. Hand calculated at 13.8! I tried every tune from 30hp -150. My truck is obviously not liking the 37s. Stays about 8lbs of boost and VGT stays around 50%. Sped up to 75 @1600 Rpms and was about the same result. This was my first Hwy trip since installing the warp tuning. I was hoping for better but power is freaking amazing!

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel mileage

I'm lucky to average 18mpg on the highway at 70 to 75mph with 35s and 3.42s. Getting about 13 around town.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

4. Likes TX NIGHT TRAIN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I used to get 17 and 24 in my 03 Cummins quad. I recently asked Ray if a higher tune would net more mileage. He said it didn't matter and my mileage was typical and not really expect any better. I realize the engine is bigger but you'd think with the next generation truck and engine that mileage would be increased not decreased. Im still mystified myself.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I'm really considering dropping back to 33s when I buy new tires in the spring. I really want to be cruzing around 1700 or at 72-75. That's where my truck usually sees the best mileage

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

7. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I hate to say it, but ever consider the weight of the truck, the increase of HP and Torque over each generation ... and there seems to be 4X4 labeled in most people info that adds a partical load for any vehicle with additional weight ? What 700 plus pounds ? I've seen many in '06's getting more than I, but they were 2 wheel drive. Each pound, each larger tire and such adds weight or drag and helps set the MPG obtainable limits we can reach.

You get to a point, to get better mpg's, you must remove weight or reduce drag. (and it's hard ... like me loosing weight .. )

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes Noneck liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I hate to say it, but ever consider the weight of the truck, the increase of HP and Torque over each generation ... and there seems to be 4X4 labeled in most people info that adds a partical load for any vehicle with additional weight ? What 700 plus pounds ? I've seen may in '06's getting more than I, but they were 2 wheel drive. Each pound, each larger tire and such adds weight or drag and helps set the MPG obtainable limits we can reach.

You get to a point, to get better mpg's, you must remove weight or reduce drag. (and it's hard ... like me loosing weight .. )
    Yes sir I agree 100%...that's why I'm really considering dropping tire size. I don't expect to be in the 20s with this heavy truck for sure. But I know 1500 cruise rpm is just low with for the weight.

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Understood and agreed @AnOldBiker it's just that cars are getting more efficient and an 03 Ram 2500 quad Cummins 4x4 I wouldn't expect to be hugely different from a 13 quad Cummins 4x4 both with 35s. You'd think the increased hp would offset the weight increase over generations and be more efficient at moving the same loads. At the end of the day it is what it is and this generation truck is certainly a generation ahead of my 03 and I wouldn't trade it for anything! My 03 was the longest vehicle I have ever owned at 10 years. I plan to.do the same or better with this one.

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Weight and tires aside... overall vehicle aerodynamics come into play as well. I love the look of my 4th gen but the front is flat as a brick. Much less contour than the previous body styles.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

12. Likes TX NIGHT TRAIN liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Y'all need to stop. I get 11-12 all highway unloaded 70-72. No mods other than deletes and RaceMe. City I get about 10-11.
    Trailering 6k I get ....8ish maybe. Trailering 16k, maybe 5-7. I use my wife's gas burner with 200k miles and worn out springs to tow light because at least that hemi gets 9-10

I'm about to go at this piece of garbage a case of ether and a match.

Averaging 340-370 miles per hwy tank and 240-260 towing the small trailer. Usually filling at the 30gal point.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

14. Likes Noneck liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by elcubano View Post
    Y'all need to stop. I get 11-12 all highway unloaded 70-72. No mods other than deletes and RaceMe. City I get about 10-11.
    Trailering 6k I get ....8ish maybe. Trailering 16k, maybe 5-7. I use my wife's gas burner with 200k miles and worn out springs to tow light because at least that hemi gets 9-10

I'm about to go at this piece of garbage a case of ether and a match.

Averaging 340-370 miles per hwy tank and 240-260 towing the small trailer. Usually filling at the 30gal point.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    I think yours is definitely an odd ball. I followed your thread.

16. Likes Noneck liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast