Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  26
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil life monitor

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Oil life monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
    That's incredible. I do remember reading, possibly on that "other" forum of a guy who had an engine failure in his cummins with amsoil by following those intervals. Apparently the standard had been changed by amsoil for Cummins and maybe other diesels due to fuel dilution. Unfortunately it sounded like the guy disregarded the Dodge recommend intervals due to running Amsoil and was kind of S.O.L as a result. Obviously an entirely different scenario than you sampling regularly and probably deleted like many of us here as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I'm so used to being deleted that I forgot! Emissions legal trucks from 2007 on must use factory recommended drain intervals because of fuel dilution issues. Sorry for the confusion

Thomas-2012 Saddle Brown Pearl CCSB

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

2. Likes Noneck liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Very much agree with @TH-64 , but I'd like to add if the truck was between '07 and I believe '11 and they didn't check oil level for diesel dilution, (increase in oil level is basic indication) then it was mainly operator error. (God I hate saying operator error). And supprisingly there are many that don't check levels between oil changes.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Thanks DUST1N thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

I rarely check my levels so I'm guilty of that as well. I really will have to be more vigilant One of the main reasons I deleted was the oil dilution. That and I saw people (in forums of course) having emissions related issues and failures.

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

6. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Well I'm old and so I can say I'm old school. I check my levels every week, even if I know they will be good. I'd rather waist time and a rag each week than spending thousands for a rebuilt engine. Besides, I sort of got accustom to this engine block.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Likes Noneck liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

So as I was in the garage preparing my oil sample for Blackstone, my wife came in and asked what I was doing. She just shook her head and said, "Boy you really love that truck! " and left... And yes I do. I also rust converted and spots of rust underneath and gave both differentials a fresh coat of black paint cause that's just how I roll!

9. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

My blackstone report came back today. I'll try to attach it. Great numbers and they suggest 9k miles for next interval. This was on Rotella T6 and a Napa gold filter. @AnOldBiker thanks for the Blackstone tip! My uncle has a 15 Cummins and he just asked me about what oil and filters I use. Now I have some evidence to back my beliefs. https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57acf482...20D%208-16.pdf

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

@Noneck is this a sample that was taken when changing the oil or did you pull it and waiting for a change ?
    If the newer trucks are still like my '06, they recommend 15k. So you got plenty to go.

Jim

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Noneck, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Yes I sampled while dumping. I've always changed around 5k on synthetics. Now I see I've been pouring money down the drain.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Might I mention to look into those Fomoto drain valves. Easy to draw, take samples mid changes and with the different lengths to choose from, safe to use.
    I got 'bout 100k since installing mne and never had an issue.

Jim

17. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Noneck liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

I was considering it. When you sample though, they said get like the middle of the drain flow. If you use the valve aren't you going to get false readings from stuff settling in the bottom the pan?

19. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast