Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil life monitor

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil life monitor

I searched (on my phone using Tapatalk so probably not the most reliable ) and came up with nothing. I'm sure this has been discussed but anyway, I run Rotella T6 synthetic in my 2013 Laramie Cummins. In my 03 I changed it every 5000 miles. Is the oil life monitor in These new trucks safe to follow, or do you guys just go by mileage?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Oil life monitor

I do mine by mileage. Deleted running synthetic I change at 8-10,000 miles depending on the type of driving.

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCSB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

3. Thanks Noneck thanked for this post
    Likes Noneck liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    I do mine by mileage. Deleted running synthetic I change at 8-10,000 miles depending on the type of driving.

Greg
    2012 | 2500 | CCSB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel
    Since I run dual filters and my engine runs so clean. I just change mine once a year. Being retired now, that's about 12,000

If you are running T6, you'll be fine. I think they raised the duration between changes in the last couple of years.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Likes Power247 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks fellas. Yeah I am fully deleted as well. Couldn't stand rhe thought of all that soot and fuel running thru my engine. I do a lot of short trips mixed with 2 85 mile trips a week.

7. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I know very little of the new and improved oil monitoring systems out there today. But I am the believer in knowing what the heck is happening within my engine.

Might I recommend
    1. Running the oil until the state of the art dash you have says to chenge it and do so then, but at the same time, send in a sample to say, BlackStone or who ever you choose and see what it says..
    2. Changing it out in say 10k then send in a sample and see what it says.
    3. Change it out when you normally do it and send in a sample to see what it says.

I do what many are afraid to do and run a quality main filter, a quality bypass filter and a quality oil, and check every 10k with the cost of $35 (full diagnoses and TBN) each sample and deside what to do from there. I have over 45k on my oil and still well within the oil parameters. As it goes, I might change sample times to just once per year when I'm comfortable with the samples. But that is well in the future.

This way I'm not guessing, I know what is actually happening in my engine. I have never heard what the monitor on your dash actually reads and if there is a way to check if it is accurate now and then.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Likes Noneck liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Not really in subject...but what filters are you using. I'm thinking of swapping to Donaldson or Baldwin on my next oil change.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

@AnOldBiker great advice. Sounds like a good plan. I had a 2001 Z06 with an oil life monitor and learned on the Corvette forum that they use algorithms to analyze driving and were pretty accurate. I'd imagine the same holds true here. I always have used Napa gold filters on my cummins for both fuel and oil.

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

FYI: Ok, this is because you asked. I'm not try start and argument here. Filters and oil preferences are a touchy matter no matter what forum you're on or even in a general discussion in stores, coffee shops and just on the street. It's a topic like political parties, taxes, brands of beer and so on.

That being said, I use the Donaldson DBL7349 for my main and the Amsoil EABP90 for my bypass. There many good filters out there, but I've found these to be the best for my truck (from my samples results).

No matter which filter you use, the end results in my eyes are the results from oil samples. And I mean a full oil readout with TBN. After all, I retired from an oil refinery, and after 31 years of living sample verses maintenance of thousands of dollars per pieces of equipment and their length of life, I still believe in product samples.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

13. Thanks TX NIGHT TRAIN thanked for this post
    Likes TX NIGHT TRAIN, Noneck liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
    @AnOldBiker great advice. Sounds like a good plan. I had a 2001 Z06 with an oil life monitor and learned on the Corvette forum that they use algorithms to analyze driving and were pretty accurate. I'd imagine the same holds true here. I always have used Napa gold filters on my cummins for both fuel and oil.

Might I add this as food for thought.
    If the trucks oil is checked by an algolithm, then it was designed by and engineer with their IT people writing it.
    The original design was of a specified vehicle use, driving perimeters and their products supplied and testing.
    Added note: What were these perimeters ?

Question:
    If the buyer is outside these perimeters in their driving use or products they supply the vehicles, is the original perimeters still valid ?

Not knowing this, is testing the oil for their precise chemical make up and metals better ?

Jim

15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Might I add this as food for thought.
    If the trucks oil is checked by an algolithm, then it was designed by and engineer with their IT people writing it.
    The original design was of a specified vehicle use, driving perimeters and their products supplied and testing.
    Added note: What were these perimeters ?

Question:
    If the buyer is outside these perimeters in their driving use or products they supply the vehicles, is the original perimeters still valid ?

Not knowing this, is testing the oil for their precise chemical make up and metals better ?
    The oil change interval information changes based on driving habits, essentially it says 15k miles in the book but depending on how you treat the truck it could be 10k. I think the algorithm changes within the computer to adjust for different driving habits/conditions. Once the oil change light or message is reset it goes back to the preset 15k miles then obviously adjusts again for driving habits.

16. Likes Noneck liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast