Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12v steering problem

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

12v steering problem

Hey guys I need a little help! My 97 12v has no power steering, the pump doesn't whine and has pressure. I changed out the booster without bleeding the lines for the brakes and I don't have any brakes the pedal is really hard. I thought the booster would do the trick. It also has a new gear box due too breaking the gear trying to steer with no power steering! Any suggestions would really help alot!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gzhurley26 View Post
    Hey guys I need a little help! My 97 12v has no power steering, the pump doesn't whine and has pressure. I changed out the booster without bleeding the lines for the brakes and I don't have any brakes the pedal is really hard. I thought the booster would do the trick. It also has a new gear box due too breaking the gear trying to steer with no power steering! Any suggestions would really help alot!
    What did you use for fluid?

With the truck idling, crack a line on the booster, unless there is a bleeder on it. Not the brake side, the booster side. It's air bound.

When cracking the lines, start on the pump side on the booster first. If you have fluid there, go to the discharge side nad crack that one. Once you have fluid there, it should go through the steering box. But jack up the truck or disconnect the pitman arm to work the box back and forth

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I used power steering fluid! And thanks for getting back so quickly, I've been stuck at work for 2 days so tmmrw I will try and use your knowledge and get it working!

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Trouble shoot fixed the gear box I jus had replaced is a reman and it's cracked on the top bleeder port allowing all of the pressure out :\. Back to West texas mechanic quality!

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I'm not sure on the 98, but I think you're supposed to use Trans fluid. ATF 4

So you are saying there is a crack in the steering box housing causing it not to pressure up? I didn't understand the entire message clearly.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I will always use atf 4 instead of power steering fluid. It's basically the same thing, and it's one less type of bottle to carry around.

On the other trucks they asked for psf but it won't hurt them to run atf

My rig:

01 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 that I built. Mods: 8in Top gun customz long arm hit with 6in atlas springs in the rear, full bilsteins, 37s, fully built transmission with sun coast parts, full auto meter colbalt gauges, fuel pressure, over all boost, bottom turbo boost, tranny temp, egts, 4.10s, custom 3.5in intake horn, grid heater delete, II super dragon flow 11 hole injectors, Tst power max 3 comp smarty stack, twin double batmo wheel twins s362 62/68/14 over a s475 both with polished turbine housings, stainless diesel stainless steel polished exhaust manifold, fass 150 gph fuel system, aux tranny cooler, full pinoeer componet speaker system, flip out screen, 12in rockford fosgate power T2 sub wired to 1 ohm pushed by a 1000watt rockford fosgate ampAll comes together to be called the BDD

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silentone3389 View Post
    I will always use atf 4 instead of power steering fluid. It's basically the same thing, and it's one less type of bottle to carry around.

On the other trucks they asked for psf but it won't hurt them to run atf
    I was going that direction to start with. Wasn't sure what fluid they used. My truck uses A4.

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

It's alright old timer

My rig:

01 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 that I built. Mods: 8in Top gun customz long arm hit with 6in atlas springs in the rear, full bilsteins, 37s, fully built transmission with sun coast parts, full auto meter colbalt gauges, fuel pressure, over all boost, bottom turbo boost, tranny temp, egts, 4.10s, custom 3.5in intake horn, grid heater delete, II super dragon flow 11 hole injectors, Tst power max 3 comp smarty stack, twin double batmo wheel twins s362 62/68/14 over a s475 both with polished turbine housings, stainless diesel stainless steel polished exhaust manifold, fass 150 gph fuel system, aux tranny cooler, full pinoeer componet speaker system, flip out screen, 12in rockford fosgate power T2 sub wired to 1 ohm pushed by a 1000watt rockford fosgate ampAll comes together to be called the BDD

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Yes it has been fixed now. I want too build the truck now. I want to do a head stud kit with a bigger cam and 165lb springs. Upgrade the turbo and a new injection pump with a whole new fuel system. Any suggestions would greatly be considered. I'm looking to push around 800hp

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gzhurley26 View Post
    Yes it has been fixed now. I want too build the truck now. I want to do a head stud kit with a bigger cam and 165lb springs. Upgrade the turbo and a new injection pump with a whole new fuel system. Any suggestions would greatly be considered. I'm looking to push around 800hp
    What fixed it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast