Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear information on 2016 Delete

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Clear information on 2016 Delete

Hello, I just got a 2016 RAM 2500 and finished a road trip with it. Not impressed... I have a 2006 RAM 3500 MegaCab that got better mileage, but it's in need of a new front end, and momma won't let me fix it so I am stuck with the '16 (have to sell the '06).

Anyhow I realize that the solution is to do a delete and open up the trucks potential power and fuel economy. I am not a racer so I am not looking to smack down other vehicles. I do tow a lot and take quite a few road trips so towing and fuel economy are my goals. And I am new to the mod world of diesels. There is so much information out there... I figured I would ask specific to my needs.

Now to help get a better answer for what I NEED to do for a complete reliable delete here is a bit of info:

- 2016 RAM 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab
    - 6.7L stock Cummins
    - 6Spd Manual
    - 4x4 on the floor select
    - Around 70k miles

That's about all I can think that is relevant to my request/needs. So gents and ladies if you're here too, recommendations for manufacture/setup to meet the two goals one of towing (fuel economy will get hit...) and fuel economy (power takes a hit...)?

I appreciate your time and look forward to learning!

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Clear information on 2016 Delete

Quote Originally Posted by GlockG20 View Post
    Hello, I just got a 2016 RAM 2500 and finished a road trip with it. Not impressed... I have a 2006 RAM 3500 MegaCab that got better mileage, but it's in need of a new front end, and momma won't let me fix it so I am stuck with the '16 (have to sell the '06).

Anyhow I realize that the solution is to do a delete and open up the trucks potential power and fuel economy. I am not a racer so I am not looking to smack down other vehicles. I do tow a lot and take quite a few road trips so towing and fuel economy are my goals. And I am new to the mod world of diesels. There is so much information out there... I figured I would ask specific to my needs.

Now to help get a better answer for what I NEED to do for a complete reliable delete here is a bit of info:

- 6.7L stock Cummins
    - 6Spd Manual
    - Around 70k miles

That's about all I can think that is relevant to my request/needs. So gents and ladies if you're here too, recommendations for manufacture/setup to meet the two goals one of towing (fuel economy will get hit...) and fuel economy (power takes a hit...)?

Welcome friend!!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Likes Thomas1960, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

- 6.7L stock Cummins
    - 6Spd Manual
    - Around 70k miles

Welcome!! You do not need to do a 'complete delete' to achieve the throttle response and a bit of performance you are missing from your '06.

Throttle sensitivity boosters can be a quick fix that doesn't affect the emissions systems at all. If you want to go for tuning you can still get emissions intact tuning and feel some real gains.

Not trying to steer you away from deletes, just want you to know other options are out there.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

6. Thanks watersupply189, Thomas1960 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Welcome!! You do not need to do a 'complete delete' to achieve the throttle response and a bit of performance you are missing from your '06.

Throttle sensitivity boosters can be a quick fix that doesn't affect the emissions systems at all. If you want to go for tuning you can still get emissions intact tuning and feel some real gains.

Not trying to steer you away from deletes, just want you to know other options are out there.

Greg

The '06 is getting sold... front end needs to be replaced and wife said no more money into that truck. It's the '16 I want to delete for towing power and economy. Not looking to race the truck. Just want to get the mileage I know it's capable of getting. When the Volvo tractor I drive with a Cummins mill and 10spd Eaton gets between 12-14MPG on straight roads with two 28' trailers.. I know my dinky 6.7L can get at least 20MPG just driving the same road. Heck my '06 before the front gave out was averaging 18MPG out of a stock 5.9L... and that was a MegaCab with 6spd and 3.73 gears.

The '16 has a 6spd with 3.43 gears and I drive it like I did my other truck and the best I have gotten was 17.38MPG and that was in Oregon. I know it's the emissions crap that's choking the engine out, that's why I am looking for what I need to do to improve my efficiency as well as towing power. I don't care about racing, those days are behind me.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

@GlockG20 I hear ya man.

This link should get you started.... https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...pril-1st-2019)

Greg

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Flo-pro 213000 EGR Delete
    Flo-pro SS1874 4" Stainless Exhaust Downpipe Back
    Double R Diesel 30hp tow tune on MM3 platform
    Glacier Diesel Intake Horn
    Shibby Plug Kit 2016EFIKIT

You'll be rockin and rollin friend!

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

11. Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7
    Permanent Vacation GrowingSouthFarms's Avatar

User Info Menu

The '16 has a 6spd with 3.43 gears and I drive it like I did my other truck and the best I have gotten was 17.38MPG and that was in Oregon. I know it's the emissions crap that's choking the engine out, that's why I am looking for what I need to do to improve my efficiency as well as towing power. I don't care about racing, those days are behind me.

Don't expect miracle mpg from deleting. Most honest reports I have seen in these newer gen trucks the mpg gain is very minimal. While you 06 got slightly better mpg the 2016 is bigger, heavier, more powerful and can tow more.
    What speeds are you running on the highway? That has a lot to do with the mpg. Also deleting isn't going to be cheap so warn the wife. With that manual you are going to have to upgrade that clutch for sure so add that to the cost.

13. Likes watersupply189, Thomas1960, walla2k5 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Usually the posted speed limit when not towing and 55MPH when towing. It's kind of ingrained in me now as a CDL holder/FedEx Freight Driver. The clutch will have to be replaced soon as the first owner apparently didn't know how to drive it right, I am already noticing some weirdness with it that indicates imminent failure (slight take up shudder and whine). I tend to get right around 150k or so on my clutches since I quit racing.

Costs will be the parts and time, my son in law is a Cummins mechanic for farms up in Oregon so he and I will be doing all the work. If I can get into the 20MPG range I will be happy. Like I noted the big Volvo tractor I drive with a Cummins mill get's around 12-14MPG on straight away with two 28' trailers behind it. While the engine is twice the size of the RAM it's still hard to believe the 6.7L can't reach the 20's.

Another question I have is around the Turbo and premature failure. I have read in a couple places that the DPF as it get's older seems to be the cause of premature turbo failure in all three brands of trucks. Has this been noted by others here?

And thanks for the answers, really do appreciate them gents!

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Interesting concept on the turbo failure but i believe the two are unrelated as they are fairly far apart from each other.

We'll see what others say......

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie, 3" BDS Coil over, DuraFlap, 68RFE, 4.10, 35s, Front receiver, Krown protected

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10
    Permanent Vacation GrowingSouthFarms's Avatar

User Info Menu

DPF (and DEF injection) is down stream from the turbo so I don't see how that would have anything to do with it?

Honestly, I'm seeing more turbo failures in deleted trucks then stock. Part of me thinks some tuning is putting more soot in there and causing the actuator to hang up? I could be way off on that but I frequent all the desiel forums and I swear there are more turbo failures on deleted trucks then stock. I'm wanting to delete but the fact that I see so many people with issues after (yes I know a lot are trouble free but a lot aren't) it has me holding off and continuing to research.

As far a mpg, I've never seen 20 in mine (18.3 best). Of course I tend to drive a hair over the speed limit 70-75, I'm sure if I was doing 65 I might get there. I think real world average numbers you are looking at ~11 give or take towing and ~18 unloaded on the highway. I do average around 16 give or take in my daily driving which is rural/in town so I'm pretty happy with that.

19. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast