Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need shocks for ON road!

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Need shocks for ON road!

Quote Originally Posted by ywgbandit View Post
    What made you choose the Gas-a-just over the MonoMax?
    Sick of replacing shocks prematurely.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

So after talking with the tech guys at KYB I went with the MonoMax Shocks. I went with the 565018 front shock but instead of the standard shock for a stock rear suspension, the 565105, KYB recommended the 565104 for my lowered rear end. I removed the three 1/2" spacers between the leaf springs and the axle saddle to get minimum clearance between the top of the box and my fifth wheel trailer. The 565105 is 27.32" extended, and 17.24" compressed, with a 10.08" stroke. The 565104 is, 25.20" extended, 16.14" compressed with a 9.06" stroke and they both have the same damping rate according to KYB. I'll report on the ride after I get them home and installed.

3. Thanks Power247, walla2k5 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

So after talking with the tech guys at KYB I went with the MonoMax Shocks. I went with the 565018 front shock but instead of the standard shock for a stock rear suspension, the 565105, KYB recommended the 565104 for my lowered rear end. I removed the three 1/2" spacers between the leaf springs and the axle saddle to get minimum clearance between the top of the box and my fifth wheel trailer. The 565105 is 27.32" extended, and 17.24" compressed, with a 10.08" stroke. The 565104 is, 25.20" extended, 16.14" compressed with a 9.06" stroke and they both have the same damping rate according to KYB. I'll report on the ride after I get them home and installed.
    I'll be doing shocks this year. Looking forward to your review.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

5. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

What made you choose the Gas-a-just over the MonoMax?
    I never properly answered your question, but it's too late now.

I didn't feel I need something as high teck as the MonoMax. The Gas Adjust seemed to fit my requirements better. I still think it was the right decision for me.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Sounds like you made an educated decision. Let us know how they work for you after a month or so, I'm interested in hearing your opinion.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

9. Likes Power247 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    I'll be doing shocks this year. Looking forward to your review.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    It's going to be about a month before I get them installed. We are on Vacation is Southern California right now, but I will post my findings here when I get them mounted.

11. Likes walla2k5, Power247 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    Sounds like you made an educated decision. Let us know how they work for you after a month or so, I'm interested in hearing your opinion.
    I was prepared to buy the Gas-a-Just but the guys at KYB said because of the valving on the MonoMax that the truck would ride better empty and have better control when towing too. The difference in price was only $40.00 on 4 shocks so I took their advice. The MonoMax are valved vehicle specific and no one else would give me an option for my lowered rear suspension.
    The KYB technical advice guys advised me that the 565105 and the 565104 are valved exactly the same even though the 565104 is actually for the GM 2500/3500 trucks and would be better for my application. It took a while to find the information, as the Sales guys didn't have a clue.

13. Likes walla2k5, WyomingHunter liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I never properly answered your question, but it's too late now.

I didn't feel I need something as high teck as the MonoMax. The Gas Adjust seemed to fit my requirements better. I still think it was the right decision for me.
    I appreciate your input anyway Polarco, you did steer me in the direction of the KYB's, which I hadn't really heard much about. I did my own homework and I liked what I saw. Like you, I think I made the right decision for me. It's all good!

15. Likes walla2k5, Power247 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

So the weather finally got warm enough to put on the new KYB MonoMax shocks. I have about 1000 miles on them so far and I am very impressed. But then the OEM shocks, at 42,000 miles were totally shot....pure decoration at this point. I could collapse them all in about 1 second pushing with one hand. The KYB's give a much more controlled ride, firm but not harsh and they are valved perfectly IMO. They eat the small bumps and don't bottom on bad potholes. I have not towed with them yet, but the ride when empty is an order of magnitude better than the OEM's. Worth every penny, and if I have the truck long enough I'll buy them again.

17. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

So the weather finally got warm enough to put on the new KYB MonoMax shocks. I have about 1000 miles on them so far and I am very impressed. But then the OEM shocks, at 42,000 miles were totally shot....pure decoration at this point. I could collapse them all in about 1 second pushing with one hand. The KYB's give a much more controlled ride, firm but not harsh and they are valved perfectly IMO. They eat the small bumps and don't bottom on bad potholes. I have not towed with them yet, but the ride when empty is an order of magnitude better than the OEM's. Worth every penny, and if I have the truck long enough I'll buy them again.
    Thanks for the update, glad they worked out for you.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast