Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RECALL 2017 3500 TIEROD

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: RECALL 2017 3500 TIEROD

I was comparing my steering to a buddy's 3rd gen the other day and when I grabbed my drag link, I noticed the jam but was loose. A week later this notice shows up in the mail. It's all for not though. I just upgraded all my suspension, so I had to adjust the track bar and drag link anyway. Just interesting timing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Fully Build 68RFE by BD Diesel
    SXE 64.5 fixed vane turbo
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

2. Likes watersupply189, BrentM liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

I received the letter as well and when I looked into the fix, I was not impressed. Can I just replace it with something aftermarket and better quality? I'm in Hawaii and I DO NOT want this particular place welding jam nuts on my truck.

4. Likes watersupply189, Rapidfire_70, BrentM liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Dealer say the same to me .. weld the nuts..
    lets all weld the nuts on $69.000 truck way to go Dodge...

6. Likes watersupply189, david3gen, BrentM liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

I received the recall notice for this on my 2015 today. Letter says there isn't a fix yet....funny some dealers are saying weld when there is no fix from FCA yet.

That said, mine has been loose a number of times. I make it a point to check it all the time. If the official fix ends up being weld the nut, I think I'll skip out on this one...Carli or Thuren here I come.

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

8. Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

first off I'm a Moron... I just realized my Title on this thread said Tie rods.. yeah the entire time of all my typing my mind is saying draglink but my hands are typing Tie rods.

On my truck I finally had a chance to look at my draglink and the nuts are tight and have what looks like factory blue markings for movement.

So what I will or would do for my own repair until Ram gets a better mouse trap.
    I will put hose clamps in front and tight up against the nuts.

what is everyone's take on using hose clamps or similar?

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I'm here for ideas on a fix.. welding is just stupid

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    first off I'm a Moron... I just realized my Title on this thread said Tie rods.. yeah the entire time of all my typing my mind is saying draglink but my hands are typing Tie rods.

On my truck I finally had a chance to look at my draglink and the nuts are tight and have what looks like factory blue markings for movement.

So what I will or would do for my own repair until Ram gets a better mouse trap.
    I will put hose clamps in front and tight up against the nuts.

what is everyone's take on using hose clamps or similar?

If yours hasn't moved you should be good. Keep an eye on it, first sign it is loose is the steering wheel will not be centered when going straight. I got me a couple big wrenches to tighten them up that is my plan.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I checked mine after I got the letter... found the outboard jam nut was only "hand" tight. It hadn't started to separate from the adjuster sleeve yet, but it was barely snugged up against it. Of course, I had my truck aligned a few months ago after installing the leveling kit, so maybe the alignment guy didn't torque it correctly...

Either way, I backed the nut off, applied some Loctite to the threads, and torqued it back down with a couple of wrenches. In case anyone is looking, a 41mm crow's foot will fit the jam nut so you can use a torque wrench (spec is 109 ft/lb, I believe). But, 2 big adjustable wrenches and some arm strength work well, too

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, bajaben, BrentM liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    I checked mine after I got the letter... found the outboard jam nut was only "hand" tight. It hadn't started to separate from the adjuster sleeve yet, but it was barely snugged up against it. Of course, I had my truck aligned a few months ago after installing the leveling kit, so maybe the alignment guy didn't torque it correctly...

Either way, I backed the nut off, applied some Loctite to the threads, and torqued it back down with a couple of wrenches. In case anyone is looking, a 41mm crow's foot will fit the jam nut so you can use a torque wrench (spec is 109 ft/lb, I believe). But, 2 big adjustable wrenches and some arm strength work well, too
    Does a crows foot work on a torque wrench? I mean It will work, but are the torque values the same, I would think some adjustment would be needed.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

Right after I bought my truck, I threw a leveling kit on and took it to my good local shop to get a new alignment. I’m standing in the shop bs-ing with a buddy when the guy performing the alignment goes, “hey did you already touch the drag link? Because this nut is finger loose”. Didn’t think anything of it at the time, just figured it hadn’t been torqued on a previous alignment. Not ideal, but whatever.

Now this letter comes and dang!

I have heard of others buying the Synergy drag link PN#8701-01 and submitting for a reimbursement from FCA successfully, so that’s what I’m going to try to do.

And if they don’t cover it, $300 is worth it to me for the safety and retaining the ability to still adjust instead of getting a new one with welded nuts

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 MCSB
    2016 Ram 2500 CCSB *SOLD*

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast