Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batteries discharging randomly.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Batteries discharging randomly.

My 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie has started discharging the batteries (original OEM) randomly over night or sometimes over 3 or 4 nights. It's very unpredictable.

I have disconnected the negative terminals and recharged both batteries individually on at least 4 or 5 occasions. They typically start out charging by taking 5.5 to 6 amps for a few hrs then gradually work down to 0.5 to 1 amp over the course of about 10 hrs +/-.

Both batteries have been bench tested at NAPA at 13.5V with 750 cold cranking amps after being charged. I reconnect them and all is good for a few days and then they are dead again.

Charging system says it's working at 13V-14V most of the time I'm running (no amp meter). Dealer has performed the usual checks on the alternator (OK), both batteries (OK), other systems (OK). Dealer replaced UConnect radio/navigation system twice and has updated software in an attempt to correct problem without luck.

Somewhere there is a system that is left on by the truck when it is turned off or there is a direct ground/short that is causing the drain on the batteries. The dash lights sometimes remain on for 20-30 minutes after I've shut off the ignition.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks,

Maddog Mike

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Batteries discharging randomly.

Do you have a tuner on it?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog Mike View Post
    My 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie has started discharging the batteries (original OEM) randomly over night or sometimes over 3 or 4 nights. It's very unpredictable.

I have disconnected the negative terminals and recharged both batteries individually on at least 4 or 5 occasions. They typically start out charging by taking 5.5 to 6 amps for a few hrs then gradually work down to 0.5 to 1 amp over the course of about 10 hrs +/-.

Both batteries have been bench tested at NAPA at 13.5V with 750 cold cranking amps after being charged. I reconnect them and all is good for a few days and then they are dead again.

Charging system says it's working at 13V-14V most of the time I'm running (no amp meter). Dealer has performed the usual checks on the alternator (OK), both batteries (OK), other systems (OK). Dealer replaced UConnect radio/navigation system twice and has updated software in an attempt to correct problem without luck.

Somewhere there is a system that is left on by the truck when it is turned off or there is a direct ground/short that is causing the drain on the batteries. The dash lights sometimes remain on for 20-30 minutes after I've shut off the ignition.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks,

Maddog Mike
    Welcome friend! Even though you had the batteries tested you still may have a cell going dead in it. They are 4 years old so it sounds like one of your batteries or both won’t hold its charge.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks,

Maddog Mike
    I have a really really dumb question. Do you leave the key in the truck? And if so, when you turn it off, do you turn it off 2 clicks or just to the off position? It matters because the off position leaves some things hot and draws down the batteries. (I did that a few times so I know) Not sure what ignition switch you have on a 12.

2nd question is, do they discharge with the truck disconnected? The problem is obvious if they dye disconnected

3rd. You're supposed to have 1000 CCA batteries. Is it 750 via the tests or does the label say 750?

I'm having a similar issue with my truck. I disconnected one batteries at a time and let it sit over night. I would loose 1 volt every 24 hours. My batteries are a year old. I just have to collect my tools and go over for an exchange.

Welcome

Your charging system should be 14.5 on a warm day. As the heat goes up, the voltage drops to 14 to 14.1. Winter it can get up to 14.8

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Hi, this one hit close to home. I've owned three 2500's and a 3500 with Cummins'. A 91, 2001, 2007, and 2012. I have never had a battery or set last more than approximately 2 years. I've lived in SoCal, Utah, and So. Arizona now for 20 years (it's hot most the year here). Anyway, even in light of your diagnostics, I'm in total support of watersupply189's input. You're batteries have well outlasted their useful lifecycle. I know this is not a technical response, but dying batteries AND dirty connections on my #2 battery in my 2500's over the years have cost me a NEEDLESS alternator replacement and transmission rebuild... Yep, a complete transmission rebuild in my '07 2500 because the shop with up to date diagnostic equipment coupled with some metal shavings on the drain plug diagnosed the need to rebuild my tranny, only to have the identical issue (unable to get up to highway speeds, shifting problem, etc) happen 15 minutes out of the shop. Ultimately it came down to one of my batteries had a dead cell and after replacing it. Problem solved! In my humble opinion, consider that you have definitely gotten 150%+ use out of those OEM batteries and replace them and see that your problem likely wont go away. Blessings bud!

10. Thanks watersupply189, walla2k5 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boycocmd View Post
    Hi, this one hit close to home. I've owned three 2500's and a 3500 with Cummins'. A 91, 2001, 2007, and 2012. I have never had a battery or set last more than approximately 2 years. I've lived in SoCal, Utah, and So. Arizona now for 20 years (it's hot most the year here). Anyway, even in light of your diagnostics, I'm in total support of watersupply189's input. You're batteries have well outlasted their useful lifecycle. I know this is not a technical response, but dying batteries AND dirty connections on my #2 battery in my 2500's over the years have cost me a NEEDLESS alternator replacement and transmission rebuild... Yep, a complete transmission rebuild in my '07 2500 because the shop with up to date diagnostic equipment coupled with some metal shavings on the drain plug diagnosed the need to rebuild my tranny, only to have the identical issue (unable to get up to highway speeds, shifting problem, etc) happen 15 minutes out of the shop. Ultimately it came down to one of my batteries had a dead cell and after replacing it. Problem solved! In my humble opinion, consider that you have definitely gotten 150%+ use out of those OEM batteries and replace them and see that your problem likely wont go away. Blessings bud!
    Agreed that you most likely have worn your batteries out

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I dunno what you guys do to batteries. I get 5 and 6 years out of them and I have a bunch of electric shtuff I run. Keeping them charged all the time is the trick

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks,

Maddog Mike
    My recommendation. If you havent already fixed it by now. Do a draw test make sure you leave it sit a good while while doing the draw test. I've never done one on a dual battery system but would imagine you set it up the same. Most cars there will be 50ma and lower.(all vehicles have a different spec) Not sure what a Cummins should be. If you've got very little draw throw batteries in it. If you've got excessive draw start pulling fuses and see when the draw goes away

Last edited by Dwelsh; 09-15-2018 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Typo
    2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    My recommendation. If you havent already fixed it by now. Do a draw test make sure you leave it sit a good while while doing the draw test. I've never done one on a dual battery system but would imagine you set it up the same. Most cars there will be 50ma and lower.(all vehicles have a different spec) Not sure what a Cummins should be. If you've got very little draw throw batteries in it. If you've got excessive draw start pulling fuses and see when the draw goes away
    Good tip. But the batteries should be disconnected when testing.
    You really need a good quality battery tester.

I used to be able to tell with a hydrometer but got lazy. Now I do it with a volt meter. I never remember missing a call on a battery yet. But i have to do the test

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Good tip. But the batteries should be disconnected when testing.
    You really need a good quality battery tester.

I used to be able to tell with a hydrometer but got lazy. Now I do it with a volt meter. I never remember missing a call on a battery yet. But i have to do the test
    Another good way. Instead of bench testing with a battery tester that reads out cca. Find someone with a good load tester. And try to stay away from parts store testing. Yeah some guys may know what they are doing there. But alot of them it is just a job and they do as they are told. Not as they know.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast