Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting kinda hot....

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Getting kinda hot....

So driving home from picking up my car with my truck and trailer, the truck started to get fairly hot. Not necessarily while pulling but when I got stuck sitting in traffic. It got into the 230s before I could pull off and turn it off. Kinda seemed like tstat not opening correctly or something. I know a motor driven fan isn't going to push a ton of air at 600rpm but still. When I got going again on the interstate it went down to and stayed between 197 and 204. But anything slower than 50mph or so such as in town it stayed 201 to 206. Which seems a lil high to me while idling and slower speeds. Coolant level looks fine. Temp outside is in the 80s, so it's not like it's Arizona weather.

What can I do? I don't wanna have to worry about getting caught in traffic and it overheating again.

~Trevor~ aka TPain!

-2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Getting kinda hot....

Makes sure first that there is no blockage/dirt/bugs in the fins of all the coolers up front. Check the fan clutch to make sure it isn't going bad. I'd start with those.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

3. Thanks theaaronbush thanked for this post
    Likes theaaronbush liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boostf3d_TSi View Post
    So driving home from picking up my car with my truck and trailer, the truck started to get fairly hot. Not necessarily while pulling but when I got stuck sitting in traffic. It got into the 230s before I could pull off and turn it off. Kinda seemed like tstat not opening correctly or something. I know a motor driven fan isn't going to push a ton of air at 600rpm but still. When I got going again on the interstate it went down to and stayed between 197 and 204. But anything slower than 50mph or so such as in town it stayed 201 to 206. Which seems a lil high to me while idling and slower speeds. Coolant level looks fine. Temp outside is in the 80s, so it's not like it's Arizona weather.

What can I do? I don't wanna have to worry about getting caught in traffic and it overheating again.
    How many miles you got on it

05 Ram 5.9 Cummins Sundown Audio Old School PPI

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

May also be getting time for water pump.

2014 3500 (DRW) 68RFE 3:73s . mirror light mod. 20% tint front 5% tint on rear. cattleman front bumper,running boards and headache rack. puddle light mod with blue leds. RGB lights in footwells and grill. Mostly debadged. 52" light bar and a 20" on the bumper. Smoked tail,cab and side marker lights. Black bezel headlights. Led lights where possible. 37 trail Graps. 2.5 inch leveling kit. Steering box brace. Dual steering stabilizers. MM3 and "WARPED" by Double R Diesel!

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

FYI

You have 2 TPS sensors. One failsafes the other. They have some control of the fan clutch as well. But if one isn't working, the fan suffers. You can keep changing the clutch, but it won't work without the TPS. Sometimes there is a soft code and sometimes there isn't. If you can get it on a scanner, you may find some telltale indications.

I would contact @Geno's Garage and replace the TPS assembly.

We've solved your problem countless times by replacing that. This is a little known fact. I found it buried in the FSM a few years ago when I had your problem.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Likes Noneck, TX NIGHT TRAIN, AnOldBiker liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

The Edge cts shows a code p0480 I think, "cooling fan 1 control circuit open".

~Trevor~ aka TPain!

-2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

What do yall think of that?

I know it's not the issue but I think I'm going to change the tstat and get a coolant flush to start with. What temp tstat is recommended, 190?

But then what do yall suggest?

~Trevor~ aka TPain!

-2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

What do yall think of that?

I know it's not the issue but I think I'm going to change the tstat and get a coolant flush to start with. What temp tstat is recommended, 190?

But then what do yall suggest?

0480 can be a bad fan clutch or disconnected. But if all that is in tact, then it's the TPS as I told you about

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

How can I check if the fan is working right or not?

BTW Geno's doesn't have a tps for an 09.

~Trevor~ aka TPain!

-2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

How can I check if the fan is working right or not?

BTW Geno's doesn't have a tps for an 09.
    Damn Let me see if I can find the procedure in my 03 manual

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast