User Info Menu

Re: Duramax traitor on board.

Welcome aboard!!!!!!

2. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Welcome!

If you can swing it take a look at transmission tuning for your 68RFE - although it is the weak link (compared to the rest of the truck)it sure does clean it up quite a bit and will help with longevity!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Re: Duramax traitor on board. ?

I wasn't really having an issue about the GM trucks looks until I saw the pictures of the 2020 LOL. I have a few friends that have Cummins and I have never owned one so I figured it was about time for me to give one a try. My biggest concern is the tranny. My Allison held up very well on tuned and deleted truck. Some of the posts I have read about the 68RE durability genuinely have me concerned.

6. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aj Grubb View Post
    In my opinion the Allison is a far better option than the 68RFE. I find myself in a Cummins despite the transmission. I just don't really want to drive a 12 year old truck anymore and the new Duramax trucks have that crappy CP4 injection pump. I don't trust that thing to not grenade and take out the entire fuel system in the process.

At least the Cummins still uses the durable CP3 so I don't really need to worry about anything regarding the engine. The trans is a weak link for sure but I can protect that with my right foot and by manually downshifting the transmission for certain conditions.

The transmission shift strategy is much better with the Allison or Ford transmissions as well. This 68RFE makes "decisions" that leave me scratching my head on a regular basis, it doesn't always know what gear it wants to be in and it really annoys me when Im doing 25mph up hill and the trans is still in 5th gear with the converter unlocked. But after a while you learn to drive around it and it becomes habit.

The sad thing is that for the brand new trucks even Cummins is switching to the CP4... big mistake in my book.

Plus the new "Allison" 10 spd transmissions in the next generation GM trucks is not really an Allison, its a GM that was "designed to Allison specs" so only time will tell if its actually as good as the old ones.

But yeah I love my Cummins and also really like the coil spring rear suspension design. It rides decent for an HD truck and there is Zero axle wrap which is a plus.

Let us know what you think once you put some miles on it!
    I agree with your opinions here. I am thinking of putting a deep transmission pan on her and of course doing a transmission tune along with any performance mods I may make. One of the deciding factors for my leaving GM was the CP4 and the cost of "downgrading" to a CP3 which in my humble opinion is not a downgrade at all. When you drive a performance tuned truck the CP4 issue is a genuine concern. I hate to see Dodge going to a CP4. I will likely just keep my truck for a very long time if future choices include the only option of the CP4. I also hate to hear that GM has decided to go in house with the Allison. I think that is a tremendous mistake. I have a few friends with the 68R that tow for a living on tuned trucks and theirs have held up pretty well for up to 150K miles or more. I guess we will see how it goes.

8. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Welcome!

If you can swing it take a look at transmission tuning for your 68RFE - although it is the weak link (compared to the rest of the truck)it sure does clean it up quite a bit and will help with longevity!
    Yes I intend to do some performance upgrades/transmission tune and a few other things in the very near future. Ray at DoubleR is going to gain another customer.

10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nashvillian View Post
    I wasn't really having an issue about the GM trucks looks until I saw the pictures of the 2020 LOL. I have a few friends that have Cummins and I have never owned one so I figured it was about time for me to give one a try. My biggest concern is the tranny. My Allison held up very well on tuned and deleted truck. Some of the posts I have read about the 68RE durability genuinely have me concerned.
    Of course you only hear the horror stories. Think about how many trucks since 2007 that are working fine.
    I installed a BD deep pan and BD Protect Plate but not the controller. DRD tuned it to run up to 250 psi line pressure. So far so good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

11. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    Of course you only hear the horror stories. Think about how many trucks since 2007 that are working fine.
    I installed a BD deep pan and BD Protect Plate but not the controller. DRD tuned it to run up to 250 psi line pressure. So far so good.

Exactly what my friends have told me. My luck is not generally great but we are gonna keep our fingers crossed.

13. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post

Great info here with BD protect plate. I dont want to hijack this BUT - How does the truck shift compared to stock with this? Are all shifts firm? What hp tune do you run on normally? I am due to service tranny...I am at 73k and not sure it has been done before. Last time I flushed (48re) I lost OD shortly after which was at 24X,XXX. So I am nervous but might as well make it worth my while when I'm in there

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

15. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Great info here with BD protect plate. I dont want to hijack this BUT - How does the truck shift compared to stock with this? Are all shifts firm? What hp tune do you run on normally? I am due to service tranny...I am at 73k and not sure it has been done before. Last time I flushed (48re) I lost OD shortly after which was at 24X,XXX. So I am nervous but might as well make it worth my while when I'm in there
    It shifts the same with the plate. It just allows more line pressure than the stock 175 -180 psi. I'm DRD tuned so shifts are quick and firm. No more lugging around town in 5th anymore. I hated that when it was new. I have BD 90 hp injectors and run a 60 hp tune. Plus there's the CAI, BD intercooler, BD intake horn, GDP grid heater delete, Fleece stroker CP3, Fass fuel, 625 studs. She's no slouch.
    Dammit... no wonder I'm poor... sigh.

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

17. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

I've had both trucks also had transmission issues out of both Haha. I feel like stock the allison does great but once you add power. It's just like all the other transmissions I will say this though. When I got my truck tuned it completely changed everything as far as transmission goes. It shifts so much better LOL

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

19. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast