Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 48RE build

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

48RE build

So looking to build a 48RE to handle 450 to 600hp. nothing crazy.

Looking at:
    -Billet Flex Plate
    -Torque Converter
    -Shift Kit
    -Servo Kit
    -Master rebuild kit with· Gasket &Seal Overhaul Kit Complete Friction/Clutch & Plate Modules
    · High-quality transmission Internal Oil Filter
    · Heavy Duty RearBand
    · High Energy BorgWarner or Raybestos Front Kickdown Band
    · Complete Bushing& Thrust Washer Kits

Is there anything I am missing?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 48RE build

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Van Epps View Post

Looking at:
    -Billet Flex Plate
    -Torque Converter
    -Shift Kit
    -Servo Kit
    -Master rebuild kit with· Gasket &Seal Overhaul Kit Complete Friction/Clutch & Plate Modules
    · Heavy Duty RearBand

You're very close to target

Before you go and throw a shift kit in it, maybe buy a rebuilt body from Cascade Trans Parts in Oregon. They have a company that rebuilds the 47RE body and retro's it into the 48. They do all the fixes and put a mild shift into it. You don't want a slammer. Eventually, you'll break something else with one of those. The idea is to prevent the band to drag while it shifts. Harsh shifting on a 48 is not good.

Replace the forward band servo with a billet kit
    Replace the accumulator with the billet kit
    Use High Performance Frictions and bands Borg Warner
    Use that little red tube of friction modifier. I forget the name of it.
    Don't forget your front pump

If you are buying all the parts, Cascade has all of this stuff. They can sub the master kit with the upgraded frictions. But you'll have to write them for that.

Remember, your front band does 90% of the work. That's the most important. Adjust it the band 1.75 turns.

I've done a few 48's over the years. The one in my old 04 finally pooped after 200K of abuse. (Truck was doing 10's they said) Built the same way. The one in this truck is the same, but I didn't do the work because I'm too freakin old! But I was over his shoulder for the whole rebuild.

Short of a Billet input shaft, that's about it! Tough and long lasting. It'll be a perfect all around trans.

How many miles on this trans? Who is doing the work? What do you use the truck for?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Looking at:
    -Billet Flex Plate
    -Torque Converter
    -Shift Kit
    -Servo Kit
    · Heavy Duty RearBand

I forgot the Torque Converter

http://demos2.dcpronline.net/sitee/w...8/01/viper.pdf This is what I used. I only have a single disc converter, I believe mine was rated to 550 HP.

I forgot to mention, I run sub engine temp when cruising with my trailer loaded. It's tight as hell, 30K later.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    You're very close to target

Before you go and throw a shift kit in it, maybe buy a rebuilt body from Cascade Trans Parts in Oregon. They have a company that rebuilds the 47RE body and retro's it into the 48. They do all the fixes and put a mild shift into it. You don't want a slammer. Eventually, you'll break something else with one of those. The idea is to prevent the band to drag while it shifts. Harsh shifting on a 48 is not good.

Replace the forward band servo with a billet kit
    Replace the accumulator with the billet kit
    Use High Performance Frictions and bands Borg Warner
    Use that little red tube of friction modifier. I forget the name of it.
    Don't forget your front pump

If you are buying all the parts, Cascade has all of this stuff. They can sub the master kit with the upgraded frictions. But you'll have to write them for that.

Remember, your front band does 90% of the work. That's the most important. Adjust it the band 1.75 turns.

I've done a few 48's over the years. The one in my old 04 finally pooped after 200K of abuse. (Truck was doing 10's they said) Built the same way. The one in this truck is the same, but I didn't do the work because I'm too freakin old! But I was over his shoulder for the whole rebuild.

Short of a Billet input shaft, that's about it! Tough and long lasting. It'll be a perfect all around trans.

How many miles on this trans? Who is doing the work? What do you use the truck for?
    Currently the truck has 178k, transmission was supposedly rebuilt 12k ago but reset shows only spent 1200 at dealer so doubt it was a rebuild. Truck is sitting mildly at 425 to 450hp. Not wanting to go above 600 but do some towing of a boat and kubota. Just looking for something that can get out of its own way when needed. You think cascade can set me up with what I'm looking for?

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Currently the truck has 178k, transmission was supposedly rebuilt 12k ago but reset shows only spent 1200 at dealer so doubt it was a rebuild. Truck is sitting mildly at 425 to 450hp. Not wanting to go above 600 but do some towing of a boat and kubota. Just looking for something that can get out of its own way when needed. You think cascade can set me up with what I'm looking for?
    You're only about 100 over stock. You can probably get what you want with just a tuner. Let me talk to Clayton @Dude's Diesel Performance and see who we have to handle these pre 06 trucks. I only know one guy doing them at the moment. I know Ray at DRD has just gotten into the early 6.7's

I know they can. Everything I told you about, I put in my trans came from Cascade

Bob is the owner. You can't reach them by phone. . . I dunno what that's all about, but he does respond to email. Tell him I sent you from Igota. He knows me. The man is wheelchair bound. I've sent him several customers with the 48.

http://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/48re.aspx

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I forgot the Torque Converter

http://demos2.dcpronline.net/sitee/w...8/01/viper.pdf This is what I used.
    Who manufactures the Viper? First I've ever heard of them.

If you're eventual goal is 600rwhp I'd go with billet input and output as well. Stock output shaft life gets sketchy above 500hp.

Myself, I'd go with a DPC triple disc converter and billet shafts from TCS.

Who is actually doing the build? Lot's of reputable company's out there, unfortunately, also several bad ones. Do your research, read customer reviews and talk to the shop owner before paying for the job. Get it done right the first time.

7. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

You're only about 100 over stock. You can probably get what you want with just a tuner. Let me talk to Clayton @Dude's Diesel Performance and see who we have to handle these pre 06 trucks. I only know one guy doing them at the moment. I know Ray at DRD has just gotten into the early 6.7's

I know they can. Everything I told you about, I put in my trans came from Cascade

Bob is the owner. You can't reach them by phone. . . I dunno what that's all about, but he does respond to email. Tell him I sent you from Igota. He knows me. The man is wheelchair bound. I've sent him several customers with the 48.

http://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/48re.aspx
    Cool, I sent him a message last night with a list of what I am looking at doing and if they could put a package together and give me a price.

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Purn1973 View Post
    Who manufactures the Viper? First I've ever heard of them.

If you're eventual goal is 600rwhp I'd go with billet input and output as well. Stock output shaft life gets sketchy above 500hp.

Myself, I'd go with a DPC triple disc converter and billet shafts from TCS.

Who is actually doing the build? Lot's of reputable company's out there, unfortunately, also several bad ones. Do your research, read customer reviews and talk to the shop owner before paying for the job. Get it done right the first time.

Input shaft, maybe at 600. Output shaft, nahhh That's why I told him to use a mild shift. It's just as effective. Since he's towing and not racing it, he doesn't need all that crap. For that matter, how do you know the replacement shaft is any better than the factory shaft. You can kick butt with a single clutch!

Same thing with a triple clutch converter. Not necessary. He's not planning on doing any sled pulls, which a 48 would not be a good choice for. But guys do it in certain classes. Triple clutch is way more than needed. You want slippage to prevent breakage. It's a fine line. You want it to slip when it's loaded down in high torque situations, but not slip at all when cruising. That's why my trans literally runs below engine temps when cruising. Summer, I am between 130 and 140 at 70 with 11K on flats. Hill climbing, I rarely reach 200 in reduced gears on real long pulls. I have more issues with engine temps then. Lets face it. I'd rather put my money some place else than be dropping a trans and repairing it all the time. But I depend on my truck for work and play. Down time is a real annoyance and not cheap.

He wants a good solid trans for all around driving and towing. Something he can impress the girls with and piss off the ricers.

Agreed on who's doing the trans. A proper 48 rebuild is not something a typical back yarder should be doing. I'm not typical. I know of only one of my rebuilds failing. but at about 200K on my old 04. There is some real good builders out there. Find an old timer, 50ish with a good rep. Pay his price without haggling. Buy him a few beers too. a 6 pack goes a long way.

Listen to the master kids. LOL

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Cool, I sent him a message last night with a list of what I am looking at doing and if they could put a package together and give me a price.
    I did too, in your behalf. I sent the link to this thread too. I assume you and I are on the same page? I can only suggest. The rest is up to you.

Have you chosen someone to do the trans yet?

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I stand by my above post. Towing even a moderate load, (OP mentioned a boat and Kubota....minimum 4500lbs I'm guessing with trailer?) at 600rwhp will smoke a single disc converter pretty easily. Not to mention some mild abuse, "Something he can impress the girls with and piss off the ricers" and you're gonna wish you'd have went with a triple disc and that billet output.

To the OP, as I said, do some research and get reviews from people who actually drive a high HP street truck with a properly built 48re. Remember, do it right the first time.

12. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast