Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cranks, no start

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Cranks, no start

I’ve made a thread on another forum, but I didn’t get any information, hoping it goes better here. Sorry for the long post in advance.

Trucks a 2012 with full deletes, 94k on the motor. All stock fuel.

So about a month ago my truck started to softer than died, did this about 10 times in 30-40 min period, wouldn’t rev up, idled fine but as soon as you put in in drive it stater to sputter and die. Pulled code p0087(low fuel rail pressure) truck would even start, still doesn’t, I didn’t have gauges at the time so I just started with the fuel filter. Changed it had good flow to the CP3, had flow out of the CP3 but nothing out of the #1 injector (i know not supposed to do that). Changed the fuel rail(cheaper than buying the sensor and relief valve). Still no start, squirt of starting fluid runs but dies instantly.

So I got a OBDLink and got this.

i checked the fuel to the CP3 and it flows, but now it’s spitting out the CP3, even with the FCA unplugged. So what’s the next step in diagnosis? Any help is appreciated and again sorry for the long post. Need to get this running so we can go camping in February, so I’m starting to run out of time.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Cranks, no start

Quote Originally Posted by cummin_hot View Post
    I’ve made a thread on another forum, but I didn’t get any information, hoping it goes better here. Sorry for the long post in advance.

Trucks a 2012 with full deletes, 94k on the motor. All stock fuel.

So about a month ago my truck started to softer than died, did this about 10 times in 30-40 min period, wouldn’t rev up, idled fine but as soon as you put in in drive it stater to sputter and die. Pulled code p0087(low fuel rail pressure) truck would even start, still doesn’t, I didn’t have gauges at the time so I just started with the fuel filter. Changed it had good flow to the CP3, had flow out of the CP3 but nothing out of the #1 injector (i know not supposed to do that). Changed the fuel rail(cheaper than buying the sensor and relief valve). Still no start, squirt of starting fluid runs but dies instantly. So I got a OBDLink and got this. http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...psbuijrxha.png

i checked the fuel to the CP3 and it flows, but now it’s spitting out the CP3, even with the FCA unplugged. So what’s the next step in diagnosis? Any help is appreciated and again sorry for the long post. Need to get this running so we can go camping in February, so I’m starting to run out of time.

What rpm was that snap shot? I would check FCA by shaking it- if it rattles it is bad. Stock lift pump on the truck? What tuning?

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Sounds like my 2012 when the lift pump was going bad. At the time they were backordered and not a single dealer in NY state had one. A local vendor had a Fass on the shelf so I went that route.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    What rpm was that snap shot? I would check FCA by shaking it- if it rattles it is bad. Stock lift pump on the truck? What tuning?
    Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    Sounds like my 2012 when the lift pump was going bad. At the time they were backordered and not a single dealer in NY state had one. A local vendor had a Fass on the shelf so I went that route.

Truck was turning 135-145, stock lift pump and efi live by CCS. Gonna take the FCA out tonight and try to clean it with wd-40 hope that does something.

Lift pump would be nice, gives me a reason to gen an airdog or Fass

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

How do you edit a post, I wanted to add that I had tested the flow of the lift pump originally but gonna retest it again.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

There should just be an edit spot to click at the bottom of your last post when logged in to make a change.

TH-64 could very well be right - I read issues with the draw straws being gunked up or the pumps just failing. This is how I would do it - Check FCA - remove and just shake it in your hand- if it rattles or makes any noise it is bad. Buy one from Cummins direct they are about 1/2 price of the dealer. ($90)

The other thing I saw was the Pressure Relief Valve in the rail being malfunctioning. Just buy a block off ($40)

Last resort- Fass Pump with Beans Sump. I had a Fass 150 on my last truck and it was great. The sump was a bit of a PITA to install. Beans sump is stupid simple as it is installed with just 1 bolt.

If you need a pump hit up Clayton @DudesDieselPerformance - he is great to deal with and will get you what you need!

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Oh yeah. Not sure I'd use starting fluid on an engine with a grid heater... good way to blow something up.

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    There should just be an edit spot to click at the bottom of your last post when logged in to make a change.

TH-64 could very well be right - I read issues with the draw straws being gunked up or the pumps just failing. This is how I would do it - Check FCA - remove and just shake it in your hand- if it rattles or makes any noise it is bad. Buy one from Cummins direct they are about 1/2 price of the dealer. ($90)

The other thing I saw was the Pressure Relief Valve in the rail being malfunctioning. Just buy a block off ($40)

Last resort- Fass Pump with Beans Sump. I had a Fass 150 on my last truck and it was great. The sump was a bit of a PITA to install. Beans sump is stupid simple as it is installed with just 1 bolt.

If you need a pump hit up Clayton @DudesDieselPerformance - he is great to deal with and will get you what you need!
    Thanks, I got a new fuel rail that has a new PRV in it, I thought the FCA was supposed to rattle? I got about 6 oz of fuel out of the feed line to the CP3 in a jar during a 1.5-3 second turn of the key. I’m gonna try to set up a fuel pressure gauge at the end of the feed line tonight if it’s not to dark when I get home.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    Oh yeah. Not sure I'd use starting fluid on an engine with a grid heater... good way to blow something up.

No grid heater, so no booms ??

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cummin_hot View Post
    No grid heater, so no booms ??
    Supposed to be LOL not ?? At the bottom of my page it says I can’t edit, not sure why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast