Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  43
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Install Cab Clearance Lights

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Install Cab Clearance Lights

So I ordered a set of the Recon Clearance lights (264146BK) about a year ago and have been hesitating on installing them because of the fact I have to drill through the roof and it didn't come with very good instructions or a diagram at all.

1. Make sure you have everything you need:
    1.1. All the lights and wiring harness are intact and not missing or broken
    1.2. 1/8” and 1/2” drill bits and drill
    1.3. T-25 bit
    1.4. 8mm and 10mm sockets
    1.5. Center punch
    1.6. Measuring tape (a fabric measuring tape is best because its flexible)
    1.7. Masking or painters tape
    1.8. Pencil so you can erase and move lines if needed
    1.9. The screws that came with it were kind of soft and silver and I wanted black. Lowes has the following: Hillman 10x1-1/4” Black Chromate sheet metal screws. Product # 884861 and you will need 10.
    1.10.The kit came with rubber washers but they can deformed once you tighten them down. Lowes has the following: Hillman Black Flat Washer #6. Product # 885806 and you will need 10 of these also.
    1.11.Silicone is a MUST! Because my truck is black I used DAP Dynaflex 230 Black silicone Lowes product # 553860
    2. Clean, dry and tape the front part of the roof where the lights will be installed
    3. Measure up 4” from the front edge of the roof and make a continuous line following the curve of metal all the way to the other side. (see pictures)
    4. Do the same at 6”
    5. Refer to the pictures below for the layout I used. You can change any measurements if you would like but these provided will get you five lights that have an equal distance between each. Some people like putting the three center lights closer together than the two outside but I really think that looks off.
    6. The following are for a 4thGen 2014 Mega cab with a sunroof. Likely if you are close to this model the measurements will be the same but please check very carefully before drilling.
    7. The far left and right lights need to be set back from the front of the roof at the 6” mark because of the curvature of the roof.
    8. The three center lights will be placed at the 4” mark from the front of the roof.
    9. From the left and right edge of the roof the left and right lights are set at 5 3/8” to the center of the light and 4 5/8” to the rear hole.
    10.The center light was 26 ¾” from the left or right to the front center of the light. The back was 26” from left or right to the center.
    11.Each light on the left and right of center light was 10 11/16” to the center light or the left or right lights center point. This gives you the equal spacing.
    12.It is best once you get the measured points laid out to draw a straight line front to back for each light. This makes it much easier once you are ready to use the center punch.
    13.Once you have everything laid out its time to check it 126 times to make sure its correct LOL
    14.Time to lower the headliner, fairly easy. You will need a 10mm for the front grab handles and a 8mm for the sun visors and a T-25 for the sun visor catches.
    15.I didn’t take anything else loose because that was enough room to gain access to the wiring.
    16.Also check underneath the headliner to make sure you aren’t going to hit any wires. I had to disconnect the left side GPS antenna wire because one hole would be close to it. It goes back in the same place after the drilling is done.
    17.Align each light with its respective layout marks and use a center punch to mark it location
    18.Measure back 2” from the front of each mounting screw to establish the wiring location. Center punch this location as well.
    19.Use a 1/8” drill bit for all 15 holes. The two screw holes for each light and the wiring hole as a guide for the larger ½” bit.
    20.Swap to the ½” bit and drill the 5 wiring holes.
    21.Remove the tape and any metal shavings. Make sure the surface is very clean.
    22.Place each light in its location and connect the wiring and verify they all are plugged in correctly. Some trucks have a wiring harness for the factory clearance lights but mine did not for some reason so I ran the power wire to the driver side to connect to the clearance light output at the fuse box F79 location.
    23.Place a good bead of the silicone on the bottom of the light
    24.Take your time when tightening the screws because they can strip and will if you are using a drill and going too fast.
    25.That’s pretty much it..

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Install Cab Clearance Lights

Nice work!! Excellent write up too.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

3. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, bamafire thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bamafire View Post
    So I ordered a set of the Recon Clearance lights (264146BK) about a year ago and have been hesitating on installing them because of the fact I have to drill through the roof and it didn't come with very good instructions or a diagram at all.

1.3. T-25 bit
    1.5. Center punch
    1.9. The screws that came with it were kind of soft and silver and I wanted black. Lowes has the following: Hillman 10x1-1/4” Black Chromate sheet metal screws. Product # 884861 and you will need 10.
    1.10.The kit came with rubber washers but they can deformed once you tighten them down. Lowes has the following: Hillman Black Flat Washer #6. Product # 885806 and you will need 10 of these also.
    1.11.Silicone is a MUST! Because my truck is black I used DAP Dynaflex 230 Black silicone Lowes product # 553860
    2. Clean, dry and tape the front part of the roof where the lights will be installed
    3. Measure up 4” from the front edge of the roof and make a continuous line following the curve of metal all the way to the other side. (see pictures)
    4. Do the same at 6”
    5. Refer to the pictures below for the layout I used. You can change any measurements if you would like but these provided will get you five lights that have an equal distance between each. Some people like putting the three center lights closer together than the two outside but I really think that looks off.
    6. The following are for a 4thGen 2014 Mega cab with a sunroof. Likely if you are close to this model the measurements will be the same but please check very carefully before drilling.
    7. The far left and right lights need to be set back from the front of the roof at the 6” mark because of the curvature of the roof.
    8. The three center lights will be placed at the 4” mark from the front of the roof.
    9. From the left and right edge of the roof the left and right lights are set at 5 3/8” to the center of the light and 4 5/8” to the rear hole.
    10.The center light was 26 ¾” from the left or right to the front center of the light. The back was 26” from left or right to the center.
    11.Each light on the left and right of center light was 10 11/16” to the center light or the left or right lights center point. This gives you the equal spacing.
    12.It is best once you get the measured points laid out to draw a straight line front to back for each light. This makes it much easier once you are ready to use the center punch.
    13.Once you have everything laid out its time to check it 126 times to make sure its correct LOL
    14.Time to lower the headliner, fairly easy. You will need a 10mm for the front grab handles and a 8mm for the sun visors and a T-25 for the sun visor catches.
    15.I didn’t take anything else loose because that was enough room to gain access to the wiring.
    16.Also check underneath the headliner to make sure you aren’t going to hit any wires. I had to disconnect the left side GPS antenna wire because one hole would be close to it. It goes back in the same place after the drilling is done.
    17.Align each light with its respective layout marks and use a center punch to mark it location
    18.Measure back 2” from the front of each mounting screw to establish the wiring location. Center punch this location as well.
    19.Use a 1/8” drill bit for all 15 holes. The two screw holes for each light and the wiring hole as a guide for the larger ½” bit.
    22.Place each light in its location and connect the wiring and verify they all are plugged in correctly. Some trucks have a wiring harness for the factory clearance lights but mine did not for some reason so I ran the power wire to the driver side to connect to the clearance light output at the fuse box F79 location.
    24.Take your time when tightening the screws because they can strip and will if you are using a drill and going too fast.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5943.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5944.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5945.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5947.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5957.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5958.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5960.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5963.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...C_3227_HDR.jpg
    Nice job and good photos and instructions

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Will you come do mine? I don’t want to drill holes in my perfect roof either

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab Short Bed w Gooseneck towing prep/Full Metal Jacket spray in Bed liner/TruXedo low profile bed cover

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, bamafire thanked for this post
    Likes bamafire, IGOTACUMMINS, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bamafire View Post

1.3. T-25 bit
    1.5. Center punch
    4. Do the same at 6”

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5943.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5944.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5945.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5947.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5957.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5958.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5960.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...z/IMG_5963.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/z...C_3227_HDR.jpg
    Nice. That was my problem too when it came to drilling holes in my roof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, bamafire thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, IGOTACUMMINS, walla2k5, bamafire liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Great write up!

Thanks for sharing.

*Ask about becoming a Lifetime Platinum Member Today*

"The grass is greener where you water it"

10. Thanks bamafire thanked for this post
    Likes bamafire, walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Great write-up, nice work and thanks for sharing!

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

12. Thanks bamafire thanked for this post
    Likes bamafire, david3gen liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Very detailed instructions. Thank you for going through the trouble. That will definitely save someone else some time in the future. Looks good! It amazes me that the people that design these things don't think about details like black screws on a black mounting surface next to smoked lenses. I like the amount of times you checked everything, awesome . Everyone has their number, I think mine"s a kagillion

14. Thanks bamafire thanked for this post
    Likes bamafire, Power247, david3gen liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

@bamafire looks good man some very tedious stuff and a bunch of measuring. You would think when ordering things like this they would send you a template to tape to the roof so you know where to drill. Measure a million times. And then another million times. Say a little prayer then drill

16. Likes Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

subscribed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast