Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of questions

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Couple of questions

1. Living in south alabama where the winters are mild, is it ok to delete the grid heater

2. I'm not planning on going into the engine on this truck, it is a daily driver, with that said, with egr delete, and valve body delete, and whether I do or not delete the grid heater, will it be a benefit to add cold air induction and maybe a banks air inlet horn (sorry if thats not the correct name) this is my first diesel so I'm learning. Thanks in advance for the help. Also I will be adding a tuner

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Couple of questions

Quote Originally Posted by Nhowell View Post
    1. Living in south alabama where the winters are mild, is it ok to delete the grid heater

2. I'm not planning on going into the engine on this truck, it is a daily driver, with that said, with egr delete, and valve body delete, and whether I do or not delete the grid heater, will it be a benefit to add cold air induction and maybe a banks air inlet horn (sorry if thats not the correct name) this is my first diesel so I'm learning. Thanks in advance for the help. Also I will be adding a tuner
    First off- what year truck and model do you have? I really don’t see a need to delete the grid heater! I never could understand why some folks thinks it helps by deleting? I’m leaving mine in place but I do live in a much colder climate though. LOL
    Second the cold air intakes we have on our trucks are better than the aftermarket ones of today.
    Just make 2 cents worth...
    Edit ... I just read your profile what year truck you have. LOL

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

4. Likes david3gen, Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Couple of questions

I suggest doing as much reading as you can about the grid heater delete. To me it's all personal preference. Where I live it gets downright cold in the winter and I believe it serves a purpose. Are you really going to need a performance intake, in your daily driver, if you're not going to be making huge HP? The $$$ you saved can be put it toward your tuner or delete kit. Unless you just want the bling.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, david3gen, Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Well as dumb as it sounds I know that the grid heater when it turns on and off it puts a strain on the batteries so honestly I didn't know if it was shortening the life or the batteries the way that I had read that it did or actually heard someone say that it did so I just didn't know if it was necessary and that's kind of why I was asking and I am brand new to owning a diesel and as far as the cold air intakes I was just curious what this thing being a daily driver if it really was going to help me that much

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

And that's kind of why I was asking because I'm not going to be making the enormous horsepower I'm probably going to do a single tune or keep the tune of about 7290 horsepower in the truck at all times and be done with it I really didn't know if I needed to change out the intake to get that or not I will read some more on the grid heater delete Thanks to both of you guys for replying

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Well as dumb as it sounds I know that the grid heater when it turns on and off it puts a strain on the batteries so honestly I didn't know if it was shortening the life or the batteries the way that I had read that it did or actually heard someone say that it did so I just didn't know if it was necessary and that's kind of why I was asking and I am brand new to owning a diesel and as far as the cold air intakes I was just curious what this thing being a daily driver if it really was going to help me that much
    Hey man nothing is dumb when it comes to asking questions about our trucks. Heck I’ve owned a Diesel for years and I still ask questions all the time. LOL
    I am no expert but a lot of these folks on here are and I sure do rely on them for their expertise!!
    Yes the grid heater will pull a little juice when you first turn your key on to heat the element up but it’s not going to kill your battery unless you have really old batteries or one that’s really weak which can happen time to time. If your climate does get a little cool then deleting it will only cause your truck to be harder to start which of course will wear down your batteries also.
    The Ram active cold air intake on our trucks are to me really better than the aftermarket cold intakes from what I’ve read up about them but everyone has different opinions.
    If you have any pics of your truck throw them up!! We love pics!!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

12. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen, Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Like the others said, there are no bad questions. There's a ton of good information that can be searched on the forum here but questions are always welcome.

The grid heater gets a bad rep on totally stock trucks (especially on the early 6.7 motors) but are pretty much harmless on a deleted truck. The EGR pulls exhaust through the intake and the soot from the exhaust will cake up on the element wires of the grid heater. A deleted truck has the EGR disabled so only clean air is run through the intake and the grid. If you curious, you can pull the air horn and inspect & clean as needed.

The factory air intake system has enough flow to support 500hp. A 90hp tune will put you around 450hp give or take. Sure you can replace factory parts for aftermarket that claim to flow better but aside from some more turbo noise you likely won't ever see any real gains.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

14. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thank you. I'll put some pictures up as soon as I can figure it out LOL20180814_110112.jpg

16. Thanks watersupply189, walla2k5 thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Ray from DRD custom tuning platform and Clayton from DDP great guys to work with and great sources of info

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

18. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Thank you. I'll put some pictures up as soon as I can figure it out LOL20180814_110112.jpg
    Nice!!! Very nice my friend

20. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast