Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15w-40 vs 5w-40

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

15w-40 vs 5w-40

Hey guys, don't hate on me too much for starting another oil thread. Went to the local parts store to pick up some Rotella T6 as that was recommended in another thread that I was browsing, but they only had it in 5w-40. The vehicle mainly lives in the desert area between Riverside, CA and Las Vegas. I don't know enough to know if that will suffice for the conditions that I drive in. Can one of you fine gentlemen point me in the right direction please? The truck will be deleted here in a few months, and I plan on doing another oil change just after the deletes. Thanks!

2017 Ram 2500 Laramie, Taken care of by DRD, Carli Leveling Kit, RBP 94r 20x9 Wheels, and 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie, too many to list...

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 15w-40 vs 5w-40

In your area I would stick with 15w-40. 5w-40 is better for cold climates. It’s a little thinner so better for cold climates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--Work gives you meaning and purpose, Life is empty without it--

3. Thanks FarmerJohn104 thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco, walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerJohn104 View Post
    Hey guys, don't hate on me too much for starting another oil thread. Went to the local parts store to pick up some Rotella T6 as that was recommended in another thread that I was browsing, but they only had it in 5w-40. The vehicle mainly lives in the desert area between Riverside, CA and Las Vegas. I don't know enough to know if that will suffice for the conditions that I drive in. Can one of you fine gentlemen point me in the right direction please? The truck will be deleted here in a few months, and I plan on doing another oil change just after the deletes. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisupower View Post
    In your area I would stick with 15w-40. 5w-40 is better for cold climates. It’s a little thinner so better for cold climates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I hear the nights get pretty cold there. How cold? I would think 15/40 would be fine though. 5W is zero stuff

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Likes walla2k5, FarmerJohn104 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I’d stick with 15w-40 as well. We’re full-time RVer’s and try to follow the weather, but it doesn’t always work out that way. I’ve always used 15w-40, even before we became full timers and lived in Northeast Tennessee, where wintertime overnight temps can dip into the teens and have never had an issue.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Likes walla2k5, FarmerJohn104 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

5W - 40 under 30°
    Although that means once at running temperature it's very thin. But will help lubricate faster on cold starts

15W
    A little thicker and does pretty good in cold weather and start up. Extremely cold it will start to thicken up over the 5W. Only good thing is at temperature it isn't as thin so will continue to lubricate as required. Not breaking down as fast

Even though full synthetic you should get longer intervals for changes. The 15W is a good middle of the road for most climates

If your truck doesn't seem happy using it. Then drain and put 5W in. No need to change filter that soon

9. Likes walla2k5, FarmerJohn104 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! The coldest I've seen out here is in the teens, so I will stick with 15w. It's really difficult finding a syn in that weight around here for some reason. Don't these trucks come with syn from the factory, thought I read that somewhere? I don't want to waste the money on Amsoil just to change the oil again after deletes.

11. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

You can run the 15w-40 OR the 5w-40 with no issues.

I lived in the Victor Valley area, not far from you and at a higher elevation for 15 years and ran the 5w-40 no matter what brand it was and never had an issue. I use it for one main reason, I never knew where the heck I would be when I get an itch, a few extra bucks and a few days off ... and want to travel. The 5w helps the flow when it's cold .. and when at running temp, it will be 40 no matter what. My daughter lives in Vegas and gave her a car which calls for for 5w-30. You know Vegas temps .. and they have no problems with the 5w. And she has been using the same oil I did .. and pushing 300k with no problems.

The important part is they specificly require 40w, and that is what you need at normal running temp. The first part, the 15w or 5w is for the initial start up protection of rotating parts. You can run 0w and not have an issue .. but if your truck requires 40w at normal running temp, you must have that.

Now the funny part will be coming in the future. The manufactures are dwelling into lighter weight oil for trucks, and that includes diesels. They were looking into, and might slowly revolving into the 0w-20 range. Sounds strange .. but that is what there looking into.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I'm gonna resurrect this old post from the dead, because I feel like it's one of the most debated concepts in engine maintenance, and some healthy discussion does us all some good. The primary difference between a 5W40 and a 15W40 oil is the cold temperature performance. At operating temperatures, theoretically BOTH oils perform the same. The advantage of the 5W is upon startup. Bottom line is 5W40 gets to the nooks and crannies faster than 15W40. Once you're steaming along at 200 degrees, both oils provide similar viscosity and lubricity.

I ran Shell Rotella T6 in my Honda CBR600RR sportbike since Day 1. We're talking high compression engine w/ gnat's-*** tight tolerances spinning at 15,000rpm at 220-degrees on the track. After a top end tear down at 30,000 miles, the cam lobes looked brand new, and after 3k miles of abuse each oil change still came out a translucent amber color... never burnt.

Besides all that, the greatest benefit I noticed from switching to 5W was how quickly the engine "quieted" down after startup. That 600RR is idling at 2000rpm on a cold start, with a hydraulic cam chain tensioner that relies on oil pressure to keep the cam chain happy. The slick stuff got in between the hard parts faster, and protected the same at operating temp as the 10W40 would have.

Read this article and decide what you feel most comfortable with: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-102/

13. Thanks Sisupower thanked for this post
    Likes .44mag, Sisupower, WyomingHunter, walla2k5 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Even in the owners manual it shows the temperature range as to which oil to use and the range of both is over lapped in the warmer ranges.

15. Likes ZeroSignal, Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSignal View Post
    I'm gonna resurrect this old post from the dead, because I feel like it's one of the most debated concepts in engine maintenance, and some healthy discussion does us all some good. The primary difference between a 5W40 and a 15W40 oil is the cold temperature performance. At operating temperatures, theoretically BOTH oils perform the same. The advantage of the 5W is upon startup. Bottom line is 5W40 gets to the nooks and crannies faster than 15W40. Once you're steaming along at 200 degrees, both oils provide similar viscosity and lubricity.

I ran Shell Rotella T6 in my Honda CBR600RR sportbike since Day 1. We're talking high compression engine w/ gnat's-*** tight tolerances spinning at 15,000rpm at 220-degrees on the track. After a top end tear down at 30,000 miles, the cam lobes looked brand new, and after 3k miles of abuse each oil change still came out a translucent amber color... never burnt.

Besides all that, the greatest benefit I noticed from switching to 5W was how quickly the engine "quieted" down after startup. That 600RR is idling at 2000rpm on a cold start, with a hydraulic cam chain tensioner that relies on oil pressure to keep the cam chain happy. The slick stuff got in between the hard parts faster, and protected the same at operating temp as the 10W40 would have.

Read this article and decide what you feel most comfortable with: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-102/
    Good info thanks for sharing

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

17. Thanks ZeroSignal thanked for this post
    Likes ZeroSignal, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast