Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel additives for winter

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Fuel additives for winter

This isn’t Cummins related but I hope to get some guidance.

I have 2 Diesel engines. Both Kubota. One is a little 22hp 3cyl in my tractor and the other is a 48hp in my Bobcat.
    I use these for snow removal in the winter.

Temps are dropping very low this week. I bought some winter fuel treatment. It says to use 32oz per 100 gal if above 0F and 32oz per 50 gal if below zero.

My question is how accurate do I need to be here. What are the effects of too much Since I don’t know how much fuel exactly is in the tanks?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn CC SB SRW White Cummins Aisin with 5th wheel package
    ARE cap on order
    hunting for a chrome winch bumper
    need to add clearance lights
    Want Rigid Adapt driving lights

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Fuel additives for winter

More treatment than what is needed will just be wasted money. Better safe than sorry I guess. Here in central NY it's 5 degrees with no problems using usual winter blend in our farm equipment. Best problem solver for us is Isopropyl alcohol. Two bottles in each large fuel tank before the first real cold snap will rid any leftover condensation. When our neighbors are stalled out with 'gelled' fuel, we're whistling dixie. LOL. Never a problem since we started this practice.

Sent from my Samsung S-8 using Tapatalk... DRD tuned 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB, Saddle Brown Pearl

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

3. Likes Power247, AnOldBiker liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

You could put a pint of unleaded in the fuel too. 1/2 a pint in small tanks. It won't harm a thing. In the old days we used Kerosene which is safer.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Likes walla2k5, AnOldBiker, Noneck liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I have a 40 hp Massey tractor and I believe the fuel tank is 8 gallons and will run all day long. So I would guess the 48 hp you have will be about 12 gallons as a guess.

Best to get your VIN and or model number and just call Kubota and ask. There have been a couple times I called Massey and they were kind enough to answer. I'd assume Kubota is the same way.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    You could put a pint of unleaded in the fuel too. 1/2 a pint in small tanks. It won't harm a thing. In the old days we used Kerosene which is safer.
    Never heard of this one great and important info good looking out

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    More treatment than what is needed will just be wasted money. Better safe than sorry I guess. Here in central NY it's 5 degrees with no problems using usual winter blend in our farm equipment. Best problem solver for us is Isopropyl alcohol. Two bottles in each large fuel tank before the first real cold snap will rid any leftover condensation. When our neighbors are stalled out with 'gelled' fuel, we're whistling dixie. LOL. Never a problem since we started this practice.

Sent from my Samsung S-8 using Tapatalk... DRD tuned 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB, Saddle Brown Pearl
    Never heard of this one either good info

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx0849 View Post
    This isn’t Cummins related but I hope to get some guidance.

My question is how accurate do I need to be here. What are the effects of too much Since I don’t know how much fuel exactly is in the tanks?

Thanks.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I'd say you just need to be "roughly" accurate. To be safe, if you're unsure of the temperatures on the way, just use the amount of additive for the colder temps, as directed.

If you "overdose" some, it's not a problem...beyond wasting some additive.

2016 Ram 3500 DRW/Aisin
    2015 SRT GC
    2016 Charger Hellcat
    2018 Trackhawk GC in route.
    2017 Durango Citadel AWD
    "Mopar or no car"

10. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Never heard of this one either good info

He's right on this, just don't over do it.
    ... my grandad used kerosene to thin it out for winter running .. as mentioned.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I have a 40 hp Massey tractor and I believe the fuel tank is 8 gallons and will run all day long. So I would guess the 48 hp you have will be about 12 gallons as a guess.

Best to get your VIN and or model number and just call Kubota and ask. There have been a couple times I called Massey and they were kind enough to answer. I'd assume Kubota is the same way.
    Is the fuel tank in the engine compartment some how? It heats the fuel just enough. What I mean is if the tank is exposed to the engine compartment.

We used Kerosene long before they came up with this winter fuel. I don't quite understand what the refineries do different. I've had it fail on my 08.

This truck, I installed a fuel heater at the tank. Eventually the warm fuel from the engine will warm the tank. If I recall, any gelling will float to the top so the draw straw shouldn't be affected. I don't have much faith in that though so I treat it with a pint of kero anyway. A pint of kero is allot less money, old school, asnd I only fill 1 CEO's pocket

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Back in the day, the fuel delivery company would give us a 70/30 mix of diesel/kerosene. If your equipment has summer fuel still in it, you'll definitely want to do something with it.

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast