Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: MM3 + DRD in a Motor Home?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

MM3 + DRD in a Motor Home?

I am the new owner of a 2008 Gulf Stream Bounty Hunter on a Freightliner FRED (Front Engine Diesel) chassis with a Cummins 6.7 ISB 340. My first impression of the Cummins, after driving it from LA to Phoenix, is that an engine that produced 340 HP at the crank when it was new is woefully inadequate for moving 26,000 pounds over mountains (and underwhelmingly adequate (almost) on flat ground) now that it has 100,000 miles on the clock.

So I started digging around for tuning options. While I have a long way to go in learning all the differences between an ISB 6.7 and a Dodge 6.7, the first big obstacle I see, related to tuning, is that the ISB uses a 9-pin J1939 CAN plug where Dodge uses a standard OBDII plug to interface with the ECU et al. I have not yet found any info on what ECU is actually in use in each application, but I suspect they may be different.

I have come across a couple of tuners for the ISB but they seem pretty basic: Bully Dog and Ag Diesel Solutions. The Bully Dog has gauges in a simplified version of an Edge Insight Pro and the Ag unit is just a box.

Here's the question, in a nutshell: Is there a version of the MM3 that will interface with a Cummins 6.7 ISB 340 electronics through its J1939 CAN Bus? If not, what's my next best solution?

I've got more, and I'll be back, but this should get the discussion rolling.

Sláinte,
    Pete Murray

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: MM3 + DRD in a Motor Home?

@DRD doesn't tune them friend.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

4. Thanks Irwnn thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post