Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: Water in Fuel light came on....

1. Top Of Page | #1

Water in Fuel light came on....

So I was driving to work this morning and drove through a little bit of water and the WIF light came on......I have been on the same tank of fuel now for about 150 miles, I am pretty sure that this is related to driving thru the water. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Water in Fuel light came on....

No it's not.
    Check the drain valve on your filter unit for water.
    You could have picked up some water on the last fill or over time.

To get water in that part, you'd have to submerge the entire truck in a lake to get it in there.

Sorry, had a shoulder operation and running on one wing for now.
    Been hell typing when you normally use two.

To get the WIF warning, you collected water in the fuel tank over time. One or more fills to get enough water collected to be sucked into the lift pump, thru the fuel line to the fuel filter. It collects there until it get to the WIF switch sending you the warning. If it get much higher, you will pump it thru the injection pump and to your cylinders. Then all hell can happen and your wallet goes flat in a nano second.

DRAIN ... DRAIN ... DRAIN until there's nothin but fuel constantly out !
    Then check / drain you fuel tank. Might look for a biocide to prevent algae in your fuel tank.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wester425 View Post
    So I was driving to work this morning and drove through a little bit of water and the WIF light came on......I have been on the same tank of fuel now for about 150 miles, I am pretty sure that this is related to driving thru the water. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    No it's not.
    Check the drain valve on your filter unit for water.
    You could have picked up some water on the last fill or over time.

To get water in that part, you'd have to submerge the entire truck in a lake to get it in there.

Sorry, had a shoulder operation and running on one wing for now.
    Been hell typing when you normally use two.

To get the WIF warning, you collected water in the fuel tank over time. One or more fills to get enough water collected to be sucked into the lift pump, thru the fuel line to the fuel filter. It collects there until it get to the WIF switch sending you the warning. If it get much higher, you will pump it thru the injection pump and to your cylinders. Then all hell can happen and your wallet goes flat in a nano second.

DRAIN ... DRAIN ... DRAIN until there's nothin but fuel constantly out !
    Then check / drain you fuel tank. Might look for a biocide to prevent algae in your fuel tank.
    Good info Jim. We don't know what year model, mods 0n the truck. It could actually be moisture setting it off. The composer left out all the info

FYI, and you not being a 6.7 owner, water is damaging on the 6.7s. It has an effect on the injectors. It can elongate the nozzels if there is enough water. The rail pressure is twice the 5.9. You've seen what a 3K pressure washer can do. . imagine 10K

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

sorry for the missing info, I did the DPF/def delete with DRD tunes. 2013 2500 6.7L. I drove through a few decent puddles this morning, the light came on, I parked it at work, which is 5 minutes down the road from my house, went out on lunch and it was off.......thoughts?

8. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I wonder if the wif sensor plug is loose or damaged? Could moisture getting in there set it off @Polaraco?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

10. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Best to drain the container, if water then the system need checking.
    If no water, then look at sensor.

Surgery, pain pills, sore shoulder ... damn I'm screwed up. Getting old sucks.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wester425 View Post
    sorry for the missing info, I did the DPF/def delete with DRD tunes. 2013 2500 6.7L. I drove through a few decent puddles this morning, the light came on, I parked it at work, which is 5 minutes down the road from my house, went out on lunch and it was off.......thoughts?
    I'D DRAIN THE SUMP ANYWAY. TAKE THE PLUG OFF THE SENSOR AND CHECK FOR CORROSION. DOT OF VASOLENE GOES A LONG WAY

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    I wonder if the wif sensor plug is loose or damaged? Could moisture getting in there set it off @Polaraco?

IT'S ENTIRELY POSSIBLE. THAT'S WHERE I WAS GOING.

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Best to drain the container, if water then the system need checking.
    If no water, then look at sensor.

Surgery, pain pills, sore shoulder ... damn I'm screwed up. Getting old sucks.
    Ha get in line pal. How bout those cold rainy days

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post

Happens every time I go thru the car-wash

2015 3500 Mega DRW Aisan Deep Cherry Red

16. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boatman22 View Post
    Happens every time I go thru the car-wash
    I don't know if you have a water tight plug or not. Water activates it. separate the plug, put a very small amount of vasoline on the pins with a tooth pic and see what Happens

18. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I had similar problems with my '13. Tried everything mentioned, but ended up getting a new sensor and that cured it.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post