Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Got a 2000 2500 4x4 auto trans problem

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Got a 2000 2500 4x4 auto trans problem

I had my tranny rebuilt at about 200k. I believe it's a 47RE. Shop put in a shift kit to beef up performance. Problem is trans doesn't down shift when going up a steep hill. Tranny stays in gear and shakes like crazy. It does however downshift when letting off the throttle. This tranny has been a PITA even before the rebuild with problems related to electric issues. Going in and out of gear due to alternator generating AC current or bad negative connections on the batteries.

The tranny shop has a good reputation, but the trucks been back for the same problem 4 times. I'm about to give up on it. I can manually downshift but after paying $3400 I'm thinking the tranny should be doing its job. Any thoughts guys?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Got a 2000 2500 4x4 auto trans problem

Anyone??

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Martino1 View Post
    I had my tranny rebuilt at about 200k. I believe it's a 47RE. Shop put in a shift kit to beef up performance. Problem is trans doesn't down shift when going up a steep hill. Tranny stays in gear and shakes like crazy. It does however downshift when letting off the throttle. This tranny has been a PITA even before the rebuild with problems related to electric issues. Going in and out of gear due to alternator generating AC current or bad negative connections on the batteries.

The tranny shop has a good reputation, but the trucks been back for the same problem 4 times. I'm about to give up on it. I can manually downshift but after paying $3400 I'm thinking the tranny should be doing its job. Any thoughts guys?
    It sounds like the Throttle pressure may be disconnected or not working properly.

Crawl under the drivers side. On the side of the trans up near the bell housing there are 2 levers. One is for the shifter. I forget if you have a mechanical shift linkage or not. I think you do. The other lever is the throttle pressure. I'm pretty sure that is cable driven. Look and see if the cable is attached. Or the linkage. I forget it's been so long since I've been under one. If it's a cable and it is connected, Give the cable a slight tug to make sure it's connected.

Damn it's a second gen. I can't remember. I've worked on 1/2 dozen 3rd gen trans's.

Just make sure everything is connected at both ends.

Question. Does it seem to shift up normally? Or are your shifts delayed there too?

There may be an issue with the Valve body. If so you can do that yourself. @Cascade Trans Parts is a sponsor here. He can fix you up. I have one of his valve bodies in mine. You can do the valve body yourself.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

It shifts up and down under normal acceleration and deceleration. The trans just doesn't downshift when going up a hill. Also when you floor it, there's a 2-3 second delay for downshift if it does downshift at all.

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Martino1 View Post
    It shifts up and down under normal acceleration and deceleration. The trans just doesn't downshift when going up a hill. Also when you floor it, there's a 2-3 second delay for downshift if it does downshift at all.
    did you check the connections I told you to check?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC