Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission temps at Idle

1. Top Of Page | #1

Transmission temps at Idle

My transmission temp and coolant level rise when idling. I've noticed it a couple times, all when pulling a trailer. Temps are normal, trans around 170 and coolant between around 190 - 200 while towing. When the truck is put into park and sits idling for about 5 minutes the transmission temp rises to above 180 and coolant to 205. The temps return to normal fairly quickly once I'm back on the road. I've had this happen a couple of times and wondering if this is normal or if anyone else has seen it.

2. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Transmission temps at Idle

What year, any modifications, how much weight

Those numbers aren't anything to be worried about especially in summer weather. Once you get moving you're passing cooler air over your transmission pan, cooler and transmission itself. Which cools things down pretty fast

If you don't have any modifications and are concerned about the transmission temps. Get a deep pan. The added fluid and fins will keep you at least 10° cooler. It was 96 a couple days ago pulling about 12k and I didn't go over 168°

4. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Sorry, 2015. The only thing I've done to the truck is delete it with Ray's tuning. Weight, around 5,000 and 8,000 pounds.

I was just confused on why the transmission temp would go up while idling.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Only because you're not moving air or fluid. The sender is getting the temp of the fluid that's sitting there not passing through the cooler. Nothing to worry about
    A pan is a reasonably priced upgrade if you're hauling. The added fluid helps keep it cool

During winter it takes forever to get to temp. I never saw 100° so no clue what my trans temps were this winter

7. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by breuker007 View Post
    Sorry, 2015. The only thing I've done to the truck is delete it with Ray's tuning. Weight, around 5,000 and 8,000 pounds.

I was just confused on why the transmission temp would go up while idling.
    Not getting air circulation from moving down the road and tranny fluid isn't flowing as much as when your driving then as when your sitting still

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

9. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I would agree....no air going through the fins while standing still at idle

11. Likes Bobtipton, Snow Dodge liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

That sounds pretty normal to me. I tow a 15k fiver. Truck is deleted with Ultra and box tune at stock power. Saw 180 a couple days ago, towing at 65 mph in fifth gear in a pretty stiff wind. However, when idling, tranny temp does go up for the reason others have posted but my coolant temp drops to 197-198 unless I turn on the high idle.

2010 RAM 3500 DRW CC LB. RaceMe Ultra Sinister EGR/Cooler Delete, RaceMe EGT, 4" Flo-Pro CAT-To-Factory Muffler
    Pulling a 2011 HitchHiker 31.5 UKTG Fifth Wheel
    Full-time RVer since 9/22/14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Top Of Page | #8

That makes sense about the air moving and fluid being circulated. I've just never paid much attention to it with other vehicles I guess, or had a digital gauge to tell me the temp.

Bibtipton, so your coolant temp drops while idling or once you're back on the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

@breuker007 yeah, coolant temp drops when at idle. Goes back up to 202-204 when back on the road towing. When coasting downhill under no acceleration, I've seen it drop as low as 197.

2010 RAM 3500 DRW CC LB. RaceMe Ultra Sinister EGR/Cooler Delete, RaceMe EGT, 4" Flo-Pro CAT-To-Factory Muffler
    Pulling a 2011 HitchHiker 31.5 UKTG Fifth Wheel
    Full-time RVer since 9/22/14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

My engine temp hit 235 pulling a grade with my fifth wheel in 90 degree weather, fan didn't even come on till 217, I was scared for a minute but soon as the fan came on temperature went back to 205

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast