Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  49
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Headlight Bulb

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: LED Headlight Bulb

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    35w 5000k kit, adjust the beam pattern down so you don't blind oncoming traffic.

Or if you have some disposable income, get a set of retrofit lights made with Morimoto XB projectors. Retro Shop builds some of the highest quality custom lights on the market.
    I've been considering these to replace my ebay brand 50w do you guys recommend sticking with the 35w for quadbeams? Is 50w too much?

Don't want to be blinding people I understand I will need to re-aim them.

2015 cummins 2500 crew cab w/ rf 68 s&b cold air,mbrp stainless 4" w/ muffler,mm3 tuner from double r diesel,xdr throttle valve delete,xdr egr delete,shibby plug kit, traxda 3.5"/2" lift, 20x12 hostile wheels w/35" amp at/g tires

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Opie15 View Post
    I've been considering these to replace my ebay brand 50w do you guys recommend sticking with the 35w for quadbeams? Is 50w too much?

Don't want to be blinding people I understand I will need to re-aim them.

2015 cummins 2500 crew cab w/ rf 68 s&b cold air,mbrp stainless 4" w/ muffler,mm3 tuner from double r diesel,xdr throttle valve delete,xdr egr delete,shibby plug kit, traxda 3.5"/2" lift, 20x12 hostile wheels w/35" amp at/g tires
    50w is WAY too bright for street use especially in a non-projector housing.

4. Thanks Opie15 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Opie15, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

X2

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, HID headlights, Morimoto LED fogs plus a whole lot more!

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

6. Thanks Opie15 thanked for this post
    Likes Opie15, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    50w is WAY too bright for street use especially in a non-projector housing.
    Thank u that's what I was thinking

8. Likes RamIt, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I disagree.
    I have the stock halogen housings on my truck, 70w LED's and never had a problem with oncoming traffic or alignment.

Only one time a guy said at a fuel station my lights were too bright. Found out it was due to them being white when he felt they should have been yellow. He also did admit they did not hamper his vision when I was behind him on the highway.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I disagree.
    I have the stock halogen housings on my truck, 70w LED's and never had a problem with oncoming traffic or alignment.

Only one time a guy said at a fuel station my lights were too bright. Found out it was due to them being white when he felt they should have been yellow. He also did admit they did not hamper his vision when I was behind him on the highway.
    Opie's question was in regards to HIDs, not LEDs.

12. Thanks watersupply189, Opie15 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, Opie15 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

The only HID headlights I have had are on my wife car I just bought her. The stock lights are far from what I want. I only know one guy I trust when it comes to lights and he said the principal is the same. So I will see soon since I'm about to order lights and they will be as bright as I can get since I want bight and distance when I cruise thru the desert at night.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

14. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    The only HID headlights I have had are on my wife car I just bought her. The stock lights are far from what I want. I only know one guy I trust when it comes to lights and he said the principal is the same. So I will see soon since I'm about to order lights and they will be as bright as I can get since I want bight and distance when I cruise thru the desert at night.
    The principles are not the same in terms of wattage or output, most LED advertised wattages are inaccurate (as referenced by both Diode Dynamics & TheRetrofitSource). Additionally, HID's output light in all directions, whereas LEDs have unidirectional chips, you have to consider the fact that halogen reflectors are not the same as HID or LED reflectors, and the output of light depends solely on the reflector design. Putting overtly bright bulbs in an inappropriate housing isn't going to yield improved performance.

Furthermore, if you're driving through the desert at night, I'd strongly suggest running off-road auxiliary lighting which is built for the purpose you've mentioned. A 30" rigid combo bar would give you a huge boost to forward lighting.

It is entirely possible to get excellent performance out of LED lighting, the OE 2019 Laramie headlights are LED and work pretty well, however, it requires a specific reflector design that optimizes the light output.

16. Thanks watersupply189, Opie15 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, SyN, Opie15 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a set of 35w morimoto with 5500k bulbs hopefully it match my existing hid fog lights I already had the 2015 Mopar harness from morimoto I did order a canbus harness as well in case I need it..... thanks for the input as always guys!

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, watersupply189, RamIt liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Opie15 View Post
    Well I bit the bullet and ordered a set of 35w morimoto with 5500k bulbs hopefully it match my existing hid fog lights I already had the 2015 Mopar harness from morimoto I did order a canbus harness as well in case I need it..... thanks for the input as always guys!

Very nice! You'll be happy with that setup. Just keep in mind that you'll need to play with the adjustment quite a bit to prevent excessive glare. If you can get some OE projector lights, they would offer a nice upgrade to your output.

20. Thanks Opie15 thanked for this post
    Likes Opie15, watersupply189 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast