Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming settings for an 03 5.9 Ram

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Programming settings for an 03 5.9 Ram

@Canadiandiesel

Spencer Gotta pick your experienced brains

Took another B-12. LOL

We're in the process of working on the UDC programming for the Smarty. Goal is Max MPG. @Double R Diesel LLC is doing the programming. Well we both are and it's a learning curve. My end has a ton of bumps in the curve. LOL

I am looking to know what the Max and Mins are on the settings. So far, Ray has reduced the duration and raised the timing slightly. But we're doing it in Baby steps because Ray is more familiar with the 6.7 and MCC. Sor far, the mileage has gone up a bit and the EGT's are down about 100*F. I just completed a Torque change which made the truck more responsive.

Since I do allot of low speed driving and stop and go, My primary interests is from idle to 2000 RPM. Of course, we don't want to damage the engine

In your experience, what do you think the:

Min Injector Duration can be?
    Max Timing in the RPM range mentioned above.
    Max Rail Pressure same RPM range
    What MPG settings do you suggest?

Adjusted Torque.jpg
    Current Torque setting which is pretty close

RP.jpg
    Rail Pressure

Untitled-1.jpg
    Duration

Untitled-2.jpg
    Timing NOW

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Likes Power247, Weeseven liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

After I pick up my VGT, I think my UDC dongle is next.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

@Double R Diesel LLC

Well Girls and Boys. .. . The man is on the right track

I filled my tank last night and drove 72 miles. 95% highway averaging about 63. The fuel gauge stayed pinned until around 60 miles. I ended the trip with the needle between the pin and full line. In the past, it would be on the full mark.

Ray
    we need a couple of adjustments. EGT's are a bit high in the higher torque ranges. We'll talk

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, Rockwerx liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    @Double R Diesel LLC

Well Girls and Boys. .. . The man is on the right track

I filled my tank last night and drove 72 miles. 95% highway averaging about 63. The fuel gauge stayed pinned until around 60 miles. I ended the trip with the needle between the pin and full line. In the past, it would be on the full mark.

Ray
    we need a couple of adjustments. EGT's are a bit high in the higher torque ranges. We'll talk
    Sounds right on track. I believe a little more injection timing advance in the higher load ranges will take care of the EGT'S.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

7. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Rockwerx liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel LLC View Post
    Sounds right on track. I believe a little more injection timing advance in the higher load ranges will take care of the EGT'S.
    Where should I start?. The gauge reads 25% when it starts to get routy

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Where should I start?. The gauge reads 25% when it starts to get routy
    25% load? Throttle?? What is your definition of routy??? I'm sure it's just matter restructuring the timing map. Last check you are only at a 1500us duration at full tilt which isn't much even with the 50hp sticks. We will get it fine tuned for sure.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

10. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

25% load? Throttle?? What is your definition of routy??? I'm sure it's just matter restructuring the timing map. Last check you are only at a 1500us duration at full tilt which isn't much even with the 50hp sticks. We will get it fine tuned for sure.
    It's 25% load. With all the hills here, im always seeing that range.

Routy is when the EGT's start to dramatically climb.

How about we take a click off duration in the same range? Or do we just want to work on the timing

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

It's 25% load. With all the hills here, im always seeing that range.

Routy is when the EGT's start to dramatically climb.

How about we take a click off duration in the same range? Or do we just want to work on the timing
    Either way will decrease EGT'S. Pulling duration may take away power. Just raising timing will maintain power or even increase it.

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Either way will decrease EGT'S. Pulling duration may take away power. Just raising timing will maintain power or even increase it.
    How far should I go?

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

How far should I go?
    Duration...no more than 2 small clicks. Timing...increase one degree at a time. Once you get close there, then you may fine tune it with a half degree increase. Timing will make a huge difference. Right now sounds like you have quite a bit of fuel burning after TDC.

15. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast