Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Head Studs

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Good question. I never took a head off of one of these so I don't know. I know how, but thankfully never had too. I look at it as an engine is an engine is an engine.

But if you are doing these studs, I suggest draining the cooling system JIC. This isn't a GM engine so I doubt there will be any coolant problems.
    I have only ever had a 12V that far apart, and its been awhile.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

2. Likes Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

It's been over a year sense I installed my H11 hd's. they do have the nipple on the bottom. I applied grease to the tap for cutting and to hold on the the shavings. I didn't drain the coolant. Bottom tapping gives you 2 to 2 1/2 threads. I used a 3inch extension on a 1/4 drive ratchet to reach inside the holes. Lay a bunch of blankets across the front of the truck (save the rib cage ), it'll take most of the afternoon to do this. I don't get on here much. Let me know if theirs anything else.

4. Thanks DRD, Wildkarrd RRD, Minion2012 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes 3500 View Post
    I don't get on here much.

You should more often.

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Here is an important bit of information I just found out. This might be old news to some, but I was unaware until after I ordered my A1 Technologies H-11 head studs....A1 is closed...tits up...no more. So if you get some on sale, like I did and have an issue, you are on your own. At this time the only choice for an in business supplier is ARP.

8. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ywgbandit View Post
    Here is an important bit of information I just found out. This might be old news to some, but I was unaware until after I ordered my A1 Technologies H-11 head studs....A1 is closed...tits up...no more. So if you get some on sale, like I did and have an issue, you are on your own. At this time the only choice for an in business supplier is ARP.
    Bummer. There is so much of that going on

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

I found out the studs that used to be made by A1 Technologies in Paramount California are now made by a French Company that has factories in France and India. The US plant that they apparently owned is shut down for good........ so much for "Made in the USA". I was informed by the company that I bought the studs from that they are "the same quality"...... somehow I have a little less faith is something made in France, home of Citroen and Airbus...forget India! Just my opinion.

10. Likes Polaraco liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thewildkarrd@doublerdiesel View Post
    My understanding is ARP needs a chase down the threads just to make sure there's no burrs. The H11s need bottom tapped because they thread full length and don't have that little bottoming nipple arp has on thiers. But that's just what I heard or read when I was doing my research. Even tho you can successfully install studs without pulling the head, I think I still would and put in a fresh gasket just for the peace of mind.
    The H11's do have the dog pointed tip and when I questioned the supplier he said the holes do not need to be bottom tapped, they only need to be chased if the stud won't got all the way to the bottom of the hole.

12. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

I'm doing my studs tomorrow and the only instructions I can ind online are for the ARP's (I have the A-1, H-11's and was told to torque to 140 ft/lbs). My question is should there be an anti-seize used on the coarse thread that goes into the block, or just install as they come out of the box. I have the supplied lube for the fine thread end and the nut and washers.

13. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

My way of doing that stuff is

Make sure all the oil is out of the hole. Oil the threads and thread in. There is no reason to use Never Seize inside an engine. Everything is bathed in oil.

You wet the threads enough to make threading easy and they stretch evenly when torquing. But that applies more to the nuts in this case.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

So I found an interesting bit of information about the A1, H-11's. That dog point that they machine on to the end of the stud is supposed to be bottomed in the hole and left there. The ARP instructions say to bottom and back out 1/2 turn, but the A1, H-11's are supposed to be bottomed by hand using the allen wrench and left there. Then torque as normal. I did mine today to 140 ft/lbs. Swapped out the factory bolts one at a timed and brought the first torque up to 100 ft/lbs. Then brought them all up 10 ft/lbs at a time to 140 ft/lbs and then re-torqued them all 4 times to 140 ft/lbs. A very tiring job but no issues. The valve adjustment was harder than changing out the head bolts (PITA). I also removed the 2 water pipes out of the block and it gives you way more swinging room. No to address the drive pressure issues!!
    Attachment 2285

15. Likes Rockwerx liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast