Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for a little insite here.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Looking for a little insite here.

Morning, I am not new to Cummins. I used to have an 06 5.9 CTD that was sold back in 2016 and as of two weeks ago picked up a 17 3500 DRW with 30k on it. Needless to say I'm glad to be back in a diesel. The reason I bought this truck is that I will be going full time RV in two years with a 5th wheel that will weigh in at 17k. I use the truck as a DD with my run to work is over 30 miles with 70% of that being highway. There are some short trips around town, but I do limit those as much as possible. The truck is all stock and I know that short trips will effect the emissions system more. During the summer months the truck will be pulling a camper that comes in at 7k, so it will get a little workout (if you want to call it that with a CTD). So what I am looking at doing is deleting the emissions crap before it causes issues. As we all know its not a question of "if" it a matter of "when". I have in the past operated heavy trucks pulling flatbed cross country that were equipped with DPF/SCR systems and have seen the issues they cause and the maintenance required to maintain them. Now, I'm not looking at adding insane amounts of power, big tires and all that mess. I am looking hard at two different tuners, both from Dales superstore. RaceMe ultra and MM3 with Anarchy with 4" downpipe back with muffler. Yes, the truck is still under warranty from FCA and an extended up to 100k. So, my thoughts are to delete the DPF/SCR with the exhaust system I mentioned above and leave the EGR system on, but turned off. This way it will make it easier to return the truck to stock in case of warranty work. Now looking at the tuners I see where RaceMe will allow me to do that with the EGR. Not sure on MM3. I know that MM3 is a custom tune that they come up with off your stock info from the ECM and has trans tunes. RaceMe is a "box" tune, not to sure on trans tune with that one. I'm sure there are pros and cons to both. The truck is a 17 3500 Laramie CC with 68ref and 4.10 rears.

If I could get some advice and insight from others on my plans that would be awesome. I'm open to ideas. Is Dales a good source or should I look elsewhere ? I know there are many options out there for now, but the EPA is cracking down so I don't want to put this off and lose out.

Thanks for reading and sorry about the long post.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Looking for a little insite here.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Looking for a little insite here.

My first instinct is to say that the usage you are describing for your truck is actually pretty emissions equipment friendly. The long highway runs and frequent towing should do a pretty good job of keeping the DPF clean. Plus you still have your warranty. Reinstalling the emissions equipment and taking the truck in for warranty work probably wont work out for you. The dealer can tell if the truck has ever been tuned no matter what you do to mask it.

If you are truly going to use the truck as you described you may want to leave it stock and enjoy your warranty for the time being. Stash some money away for when and if the emissions crap starts acting up. But you may get over 100k out of it with little to no issues just as it is.

68RFE does not take kindly to increased power over stock. The 4:10 gears will help to protect it but I still wouldn't tow with added power if it were me. 30hp tune max if you do decide to tune it.