Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axle ratio question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Axle ratio question

OK, my new 17 2500 for some stupid reason came with 3.42 gears. Now that we have a 9200lb dry fifth wheel I'm considering (and a buddy told me I should) change to 4.10 gears before I make a mountain trek. I'm thinking he's correct because it's pretty sluggish from a standing start and so far I've only pulled the new trailer here in FL, no real hills yet.

I'd just like to hear different opinions... I"ve checked and it's pretty expensive since it's a 4x4 and I'd want real Mopar and the dealer to do it. Thanks in advance!

Oh, P.S. I looked up the Mopar parts and I can't even find a 4.10 for the front ...

2. Thanks Jon thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Axle ratio question

Quote Originally Posted by Camp2SeaDoo View Post
    OK, my new 17 2500 for some stupid reason came with 3.42 gears. Now that we have a 9200lb dry fifth wheel I'm considering (and a buddy told me I should) change to 4.10 gears before I make a mountain trek. I'm thinking he's correct because it's pretty sluggish from a standing start and so far I've only pulled the new trailer here in FL, no real hills yet.

I'd just like to hear different opinions... I"ve checked and it's pretty expensive since it's a 4x4 and I'd want real Mopar and the dealer to do it. Thanks in advance!

Oh, P.S. I looked up the Mopar parts and I can't even find a 4.10 for the front ...
    I think Mopar gears are 4.11’s not 4.10 you may even need to go higher depending on what size tires your running good luck

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    I think Mopar gears are 4.11’s not 4.10 you may even need to go higher depending on what size tires your running good luck
    Hmm, I see aftermarket 4.11's but on the actual Mopar site or even other sellers, only 4.10, 3.73 and 3.42's, weird. And only 4.10 for rear on Mopar's site:
    https://www.buyMoparpartsnow.com/oem...wtbDYtZGllc2Vs

And I'm using the stock 18" wheels and stock upgrade 275 70 R18 tires, which are about 33-1/2".

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I think you would be fine where you are, as long as you are not rough on the transmission. If you feel you need more 3:73 is a good middle ground. I have had many trucks with 4:10 and at that point you are sacrificing a large amount of highway speed, and fuel eco for towing power. @Polaraco, wherever he went would have great insight here.

I have a 16 with 3:42 and stock sized tires, and have pulled 12K around with no issues. I live up here in the Appalachians. just remember towing is not a race.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

8. Thanks Camp2SeaDoo thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I think you’ll be fine as well with the 3.42s but 3.73 would be perfect for you! I’ve got 3.73s and 35s and I pull 10k quite often with no issues at all!!

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD

10. Thanks Camp2SeaDoo thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Custom tuning would be your best bet to prevent lugging issues. Mine doesn't shift into 6th until it hits 55 mph. DRD tuned of course.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

12. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I'm doing 10 to 11K, ran through the Apps a few weeks ago as a matter of fact. I have a 5.9, 342's on 285's (33's). I just took my time on the upslopes. But I have a 4 speed auto where you have 6 and a bigger engine. If you can hold 60+ without lugging the engine, you're golden. That trans will last a long time if you take care of it like that.

Lake @F350Cummins said, it's no race. kick it out of OD below 60 and you'll be fine

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Thanks F350Cummins, Camp2SeaDoo thanked for this post
    Likes F350Cummins, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

You're fine. I pull commercially with my 2500 and G56 and I also have a 3.42 rear. I've pulled 3 trailers in the last month over 11k lbs

7k lbs feels like I'm not pulling anything but 10-12k you can really tell the weight. Just take it easy. The easier you are the longer your truck will last. No rule saying you have to maintain 70 up huge hills. I see people all the time doing 80 with their huge trailers and just shake my head. IMG_20180430_200512_036.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

16. Thanks Camp2SeaDoo thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, SyN liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TakeAwayTheFear View Post
    You're fine. I pull commercially with my 2500 and G56 and I also have a 3.42 rear. I've pulled 3 trailers in the last month over 11k lbs

7k lbs feels like I'm not pulling anything but 10-12k you can really tell the weight. Just take it easy. The easier you are the longer your truck will last. No rule saying you have to maintain 70 up huge hills. I see people all the time doing 80 with their huge trailers and just shake my head. IMG_20180430_200512_036.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Well I'm glad to hear the same from some experienced guys, I thank you all for replying. I actually stay in the slow lane doing 65, I even did that with my 25' 6000lb travel trailer. I've seen too many catastrophes. I'm like "TakeAway..." I cringe when I see people towing so fast- if anything happens it will be so much worse with high speed.

OK, I will give a mountain trip a try with my 3.42's, taking it easy, and see how it goes.

18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I manually select 5th gear and stay at 65 as well! Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes!

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD

19. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast