Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil life monitor

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Oil life monitor

I think testing to verify the oil life monitor might be a good idea ad then see where that leads. I never tested but always changed at 5k intervals with synthetic assuming I'm probably still too early but to be safe....
    Never heard of Donaldson filters. I'll have to look them up. Not to turn this into an oil thread but the local amsoil guys truck was in my brothers shop a few years back for a motor job. It was a Ram with a 360. Ever since then I've steered clear of Amsoil products.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
    I think testing to verify the oil life monitor might be a good idea ad then see where that leads. I never tested but always changed at 5k intervals with synthetic assuming I'm probably still too early but to be safe....
    Never heard of Donaldson filters. I'll have to look them up. Not to turn this into an oil thread but the local amsoil guys truck was in my brothers shop a few years back for a motor job. It was a Ram with a 360. Ever since then I've steered clear of Amsoil products.

Even Amsoil has limits... was that guy pushing it without oil analysis? I have faith in my Amsoil, but I sample yearly... on my third year with it using a dual remote filter setup.

Thomas-2012 Saddle Brown Pearl CCSB

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

3. Likes ligon55 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I don't know how he was using it, but I did purchase some from the same guy about a year maybe less, prior (for my 2006 fatboy) and he was touting extremely long oil change intervals. I also can't help but feel that if amsoil was that great it would be available everywhere. However a couple years without a change sounds impressive for sure.

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Amsoil recommends 25,000 mi or one year for regular service, 15,000 mi or one year for severe service... using their filters. Longer only with analysis.

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    Even Amsoil has limits... was that guy pushing it without oil analysis? I have faith in my Amsoil, but I sample yearly... on my third year with it using a dual remote filter setup.

I am a first time diesel owner. This forum has been very helpful. I have been researching and looking into putting that Amsoil Dual Filter set up on my truck. 2 reasons why for me are, 1) longer run times between oil changes and 2) Better location for easier access to change out filters.

7. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

That's incredible. I do remember reading, possibly on that "other" forum of a guy who had an engine failure in his cummins with amsoil by following those intervals. Apparently the standard had been changed by amsoil for Cummins and maybe other diesels due to fuel dilution. Unfortunately it sounded like the guy disregarded the Dodge recommend intervals due to running Amsoil and was kind of S.O.L as a result. Obviously an entirely different scenario than you sampling regularly and probably deleted like many of us here as well.

8. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

@ligon55 Personally I feel that using a quality synthetic oil and quality filters is probably way more than most Cummins owners do and should extend engine life. You simply don't often hear of Cummins engine failures period so I'm assuming my extra diligence is sufficient. I typically don't ut a lot of miles on my trucks. 5k per year is my average so a yearly or so oil change is feasible and I have a lift so I don't find I have any problems with the stock filter location. She also lives in a heated garage in the winter time.

9. Likes ligon55 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #18
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I'm sorry but I forgot to mention that I'm using Rotella T6 now. When I 1st bought the truck, I used what the dealer recommend but changed to Mobil1 since I used that in my prior truck. With the sample results coming back indicating shorter oil changes needed I changed oil. I started changing filter then to fine the best. My prior truck had good results from NAPA with their Wixs products, but not on this one. I tried Balwin, Hastings and more over time and found the Donaldson filters gave me the best results. So I have been with them the last 50k. I use the Amsoil bypass only because the rating is the finest I've found so far that isn't an arm and a leg and I can get many miles out of it before changes. I have the single filter bypass system from a non Amsoil supplier, but use the Amsoil filters.

I have discussed this with many long haul truckers. My neighbor was one. And consensus seems to be that even though the trucks have the same engines and accessories, they can run better on different oils, and filtering is up to your preference. My wifes lil gasser shows Mobil1 works best. My sons truck shows test results best from Castrol. My friends diesel runs best on Mobil1. Like I said my '06 works best with Rotella T6. Hate having so many different oils, but I prefer better running engines more. They cost to much to repair or replace.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

11. Thanks Noneck thanked for this post
    Likes Noneck liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

I run Mobil 1 in my cars. T6 in the cummins. Looks like on more or less the right path! With no sampling and 5k intervals I'm proably well within safe limits and throwing some money away too. Maybe I'll invest in a fumoto drain and start doing some samples. When did oil changes get so complicated!

13. Top Of Page | #20
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
    When did oil changes get so complicated!

I would assume when two or more oils were invented.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

14. Likes Noneck liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast