Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Transmission questions

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Transmission questions

I have some transmission questions I need answered. I have a 17 3500 srw 4x4. I drive a lot of highway miles and I’m almost at 100k. I haven’t had the transmission fluid drained and replaced. I went to a local shop and asked about having it done there. The service manager basically told me that if I do replace the fluid and filter that I will burn up the transmission in a few months. This is because the bits of trash in the fluid would not be there anymore to make up for wear that may have occurred. Does this sound legit to anyone? I am about to start occasionally pulling a travel trailer and I don’t want to get stranded. I thought that with modern synthetic fluid and filters that this doesn’t make sense. FYI the truck has all the factory goodies for towing goose neck, fifth wheel, etc. I appreciate all input.

2. Likes AnOldBiker, Yamahamod liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Transmission questions

It is possible but it also depends on the fluid condition and how the trans is operating now. Why did you wait til 100k on the fluid? 40 to 60 is my max and what I recomend to my customers. Couple hundred bucks vs thousands

4. Likes Yamahamod, AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The transmission is fine and the fluid is good. I don’t really have any excuse other than not having an idiot light come on. Out of sight out of mind until now.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

If the fluid looks good then drop the pan replace both filters and refill and you will be fine. Then do it again in 30k miles if your gonna be towing more now

7. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oilfield truth View Post
    I have some transmission questions I need answered. I have a 17 3500 srw 4x4. I drive a lot of highway miles and I’m almost at 100k. I haven’t had the transmission fluid drained and replaced. I went to a local shop and asked about having it done there. The service manager basically told me that if I do replace the fluid and filter that I will burn up the transmission in a few months. This is because the bits of trash in the fluid would not be there anymore to make up for wear that may have occurred. Does this sound legit to anyone? I am about to start occasionally pulling a travel trailer and I don’t want to get stranded. I thought that with modern synthetic fluid and filters that this doesn’t make sense. FYI the truck has all the factory goodies for towing goose neck, fifth wheel, etc. I appreciate all input.
    I personally would look at another shop for service. Can replacing fluid cause an issue? Short answer - Yes. Tranmission fluid is a detergent so if there us debris that has built up and it is worn with the dirty fluid then there is potential to have issues when the new fresh fluid goes in. This happened with my last 48re- no fluid change I was aware of until 250k (I bought it used). Once I dropped pan and replaced the fluid I lost my overdrive clutches.

I wouldn't be too concerned given your situation/mileage if you have not towed real heavy and they are highway miles.

I would think you can do a fluid swap (not flush) and have the bands adjusted and be good to go

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=TexNeck;140224]I personally would look at another shop for service. Can replacing fluid cause an issue? Short answer - Yes. Tranmission fluid is a detergent so if there us debris that has built up and it is worn with the dirty fluid then there is potential to have issues when the new fresh fluid goes in. This happened with my last 48re- no fluid change I was aware of until 250k (I bought it used). Once I dropped pan and replaced the fluid I lost my overdrive clutches.

I wouldn't be too concerned given your situation/mileage if you have not towed real heavy and they are highway miles.

That is understandable on a 48RE, normal maintenance is 30k drop the pan change filter and adjust both bands, severe service is 15k. If the bands are never checked and tighten they will burn up for sure. That's most of the reason they got such a bad rap. Out of sight out of mind. Then it burns up and it's a pos. There is no band adjustments on the 68. Check the fluid level with a white paper towel and see if you see a brown/black color mixed with the fluid when you wipe off the stick. If so change it

11. Likes Yamahamod, AnOldBiker liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

if the fluid condition is good so it's possible, Well I am not a professional mechanic I am towing truck driver of
    Fast Tow Truck Service
    one more thing if you have to tow more then replace both filters and refill. after 35k miles.

13. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

If your dropping the pan to change the fluid the do the filters. If you use a evacuator to remove the fluid from the dipstick tube then don't worry about the filters. Or upgrade the pan to one with a drain and you can drain it and just refill

15. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I should research this before asking, but does anyone make an external spin on type filter for transmissions? Dropping the pan every 15K would get tiresome if you were really putting the miles on...