Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: grid heater?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

grid heater?

how bad do you need a grid heater? do you need to do anything else besides a delete?

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: grid heater?

it will depend on where you live. Down here in texas we do not need it as much. It sure helps when your up north to heat up the air to help get that big ol motor started.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    it will depend on where you live. Down here in texas we do not need it as much. It sure helps when your up north to heat up the air to help get that big ol motor started.
    Like Clayton said if you live in the South you really don’t need it but if you live in the east or Midwest or the Dakotas or Montana or Alaska you will need it

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

6. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Van Epps View Post
    how bad do you need a grid heater? do you need to do anything else besides a delete?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    If you are in a cold climate, it's suggested. They can get pretty cranky if the heater isn't present. But you could use ether then.

How about the best of both worlds. Have Clayton quote you on the Shibby Grid Heater delete, air horn and the remote grid heater. You'll love it.
    @Dude's Diesel Performance

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I deleted my grid heater on my 09. I live in North ga so it rarely gets single digits but if it does I just plug her up at night

10. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Capt543 View Post
    I deleted my grid heater on my 09. I live in North ga so it rarely gets single digits but if it does I just plug her up at night
    Yeah you are right and good idea. That's fine if you have it available. He lives In Seattle. It doesn't get that cold in Seattle proper, but once you leave the area. . . .

My wife is from Canada. We used to go up there in the winter. I carried a 2kw generator modified with a larger gas tank. It could run all night. -20 with 30 MPH winds is no fun, even with a grid heater.

Funny story, I had me generator chained to my truck in the bed under the cap. The muffler was so quiet you hardly knew it was running. Some clown parked next to me an plugged his F350 to my gen. That made it work at WOT. Had I not gone out to have a smoke and check it, it would have run out of gas early in the morning.. I filled up the generator and made it look like he was still plugged in. That F350 wasn't starting for him. Wife and I came out, I started right up, packed up the cord, threw his cord at his truck and left him there. I suppose if he asked, I would have been fine with it. As long as I knew to fill it late. 2.5 gallon tank would just make it

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Likes watersupply189, Power247, Nosfed92gt liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

no plug present on mine as it does not have a block heater, and i don't see any plugs coming out of the grid heater. i know it works though as i can watch it kick on and off with the volt meter, LOL.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Van Epps View Post
    no plug present on mine as it does not have a block heater, and i don't see any plugs coming out of the grid heater. i know it works though as i can watch it kick on and off with the volt meter, LOL.
    The ones you see on the volt meter is the grid heater. The one we're talking about is the block heater. THe grid heater super heats the air as it passes through it to help starting and warm up faster. The block heater is behind the oil filter and is in the water jacket. Depending on the outside temps, you can get up to 60*F before starting.

FYI, the heater element is installed already. All you need is a power cord. @Geno's Garage has them for a 1/3 of the price of the dealer. Install it the next time you change the oil

I hope I didn't insult your intelligence. I don't know your level of chop busting or knowledge is yet.

16. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

If it gets zero degrees or below you will want/need the grid heater. It does not really restrict the air much at all, unless you are running some crazy turbo/intake setup leave it be. It won't hurt nothin'.

Diesel Master Tech Certified - ICML Machinery Lube Certified

2002 QCLB 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 =
    Ranch truck with CM Flatbed, DPS Exh/Int Manifolds, Boost Elbow
    2018 CCLB 2500 ST 6.7 G56 = Glacier intake manifold & horn, Flo-pro 4" SS, MM3 with DRD 30hp tune, Valair quiet dual disc clutch, Laramie 18's powder coated black and blackout badges

18. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wy4x4 View Post
    If it gets zero degrees or below you will want/need the grid heater. It does not really restrict the air much at all, unless you are running some crazy turbo/intake setup leave it be. It won't hurt nothin'.
    On the contrary. The 5.9 grid heaters are no big deal for restriction. But the 6.7 heater restricts quite a bit. I owned an 08. I was one of the pioneers of all these deletes. I did a BETA test on a Heater delete and was amazed. You have to do it to appreciate the difference. I feel sorry for you dealer guys. Welcome to the real world.

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post