Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: No power steering at low RPMs?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

No power steering at low RPMs?

Hi all,

I have a 2003 2500 2wd. The power steering pump failed in January. The next power steering pump, aftermarket, failed three months later. After another new pump the power steering started acting up again within a month. At low RPMs (800-1000 or so), the power steering doesn't seem to function. As soon as I start accelerating the problem seems to go away. The power steering also seems noisier than it was, although that may be my imagination. Fluid level is correct. Brakes feel different if the power steering is really acting up.

I had the truck into the dealer for recalls and asked them to diagnose the power steering problem. In true dealer fashion they stated that they confirmed there was a problem but would need to put in several more hours to diagnose it. After speaking with the tech, he suggested that the steering lines might be collapsing. Another theory has been a slipping power steering pump belt. While not particularly mechanically inclined, I refuse to pay the dealer for this and it's tough to find a competent shop in town so I'll be doing it myself if possible.

Any suggestions for how to correctly diagnose the problem?

Thanks!

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: No power steering at low RPMs?

Here’s the first question that you should ask yourself, who did the replacement and did they bleed it right, IMO this sounds a lot like a pump with a little air in the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes david3gen liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Novak, I am not certain that it was bled correctly. Time to research how to correctly bleed the steering! Thanks

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
    Novak, I am not certain that it was bled correctly. Time to research how to correctly bleed the steering! Thanks
    I would say there is probably a restriction somewhere in the power steering system. Like a collapsed line or maybe metal somewhere. Something is probably in there causing the previous issues with the pumps. And now the issues with the new pump. If it were my truck I would probably first try flushing the steering fluid(may not help since the fluid should all be pretty new from having 3 pumps put on back to back). If that didnt help. Probably take each line off and blow them out looking for metal and seeing if one has less flow than another and possibly find a collapsed line. Definately wouldnt surprise me being an 03.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

6. Thanks Panhandler thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
    Hi all,

I have a 2003 2500 2wd. The power steering pump failed in January. The next power steering pump, aftermarket, failed three months later. After another new pump the power steering started acting up again within a month. At low RPMs (800-1000 or so), the power steering doesn't seem to function. As soon as I start accelerating the problem seems to go away. The power steering also seems noisier than it was, although that may be my imagination. Fluid level is correct. Brakes feel different if the power steering is really acting up.

I had the truck into the dealer for recalls and asked them to diagnose the power steering problem. In true dealer fashion they stated that they confirmed there was a problem but would need to put in several more hours to diagnose it. After speaking with the tech, he suggested that the steering lines might be collapsing. Another theory has been a slipping power steering pump belt. While not particularly mechanically inclined, I refuse to pay the dealer for this and it's tough to find a competent shop in town so I'll be doing it myself if possible.

Any suggestions for how to correctly diagnose the problem?

Thanks!
    Chances are there is some debri in the Rack and Pinion boost valve. The inlet on the boost valve is probably clogged. Or that pump doesn't make sufficient pressure at low speeds. several things internal could be wrong. I doubt it's a collapsed line if it was fine when the steering pump failed the first time.

Determine which line is the pressure side. (Smaller hose) Disconnect the lines on the rack, and force some air through return line fitting. Blow that crap out of the valve. Move the wheels left, blow, and right and blow again.

If it isn't bled right, the pump will growl. Eventually all the air works its way out. But follow the bleed procedures, especially the brakes since they are hydroboost. The air doesn't escape as easily from the brake booster. That should fix you right up. If not, new rack. But they're pretty inexpensive.

If that all works out, throw a few ounces of brake fluid in the Power steering pump. It will soften up the seals and orings in the system.

We happen to have the same truck.

Next time, get a used pump. More reliable. I think it's the same pump since 2003 to 18. St James Auto Parts in Missouri is a good source

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Thanks Panhandler thanked for this post
    Likes Dwelsh liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Chances are there is some debri in the Rack and Pinion boost valve. The inlet on the boost valve is probably clogged. Or that pump doesn't make sufficient pressure at low speeds. several things internal could be wrong. I doubt it's a collapsed line if it was fine when the steering pump failed the first time.

Determine which line is the pressure side. (Smaller hose) Disconnect the lines on the rack, and force some air through return line fitting. Blow that crap out of the valve. Move the wheels left, blow, and right and blow again.

If it isn't bled right, the pump will growl. Eventually all the air works its way out. But follow the bleed procedures, especially the brakes since they are hydroboost. The air doesn't escape as easily from the brake booster. That should fix you right up. If not, new rack. But they're pretty inexpensive.

If that all works out, throw a few ounces of brake fluid in the Power steering pump. It will soften up the seals and orings in the system.

Next time, get a used pump. More reliable. I think it's the same pump since 2003 to 18. St James Auto Parts in Missouri is a good source
    One day i am going to have the wealth of knowledge you've got. LOL they dont make em like you anymore. @polarco always seams to know the exact problem.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

10. Likes Panhandler, david3gen liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    One day i am going to have the wealth of knowledge you've got. LOL they dont make em like you anymore. @polarco always seams to know the exact problem.
    When you get this old, you'll be as messed up as me too. LOL

Thanks for the compliment. @F350Cummins keeps telling me I forgot more than most will ever know. I've screwed up a few times too. LOL

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Likes Panhandler, david3gen liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

When you get this old, you'll be as messed up as me too. LOL

Thanks for the compliment. @F350Cummins keeps telling me I forgot more than most will ever know. I've screwed up a few times too. LOL
    LOL that sounds about right. Were all going to screw up. Your the type of fella that can tell ya what's wrong with your central vacuum system, or your daggon hyrdolic dump bed. I feel like every shop needs a you in it. Keep us young folk from overthinking the issue and chasing our tails. I've done a plenty of that mainly with electrical though. Anyways back to the power steering.

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense.