Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil change time frame and mileage

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil change time frame and mileage

So I was wondering how long between rotella synthetic oil changes do some of you guys wait.

do you wait for the message center on the truck tell you when to change it?

do you do it once a year?

I am coming up on 11,000 miles and the gauge is saying I have 27% oil life still left and in 2 months I will be coming up on a year. This seems to be a little to long for my liking but being a diesel I wasn't sure if this is normal.

Any help would be great thank you

2014 Dodge 2500 CC 4x4 SB Zone 6.5” lift with20” TIS wheels wrapped with 37” tires/AFE cold air intake/ BD Throttle sensitivity booster/ MM3 custom tuned by Ray @ DOUBLERDIESEL/ 4" flo-pro full delete. ARP head studs in the works.

2. Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Oil change time frame and mileage

I change every 10k miles. The manual says every 15k miles or 6mo. which ever comes first.

4. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Unless you use a bypass filter and send in samples, once a year no matter how few miles. Contaminants can degrade oil over time. 15,000 miles should be safe with any decent brand.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

6. Likes Polaraco, david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

WOW....I change oil and filter every 5K no matter what oil it is. I change fuel filters every 10K. My trucks sit a lot so I am more concerned with moisture than the break down of oil.

8. Likes Weeseven, david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I do mine every 15k oil and fuel filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Black Tradesman,285/70/17 Black Rhino Rims,S&B Intake and more to come!
    https://www.igotacummins.com/forum.php?referrerid=13238

10. Likes david3gen liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

If in doubt, send in a sample... cheap peace of mind.

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

12. Likes david3gen liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Your indicating light has perimeters they set to sense the oil integrity peramiters, and warns when to change. But I never understood the peramiters they want, so I never go there. Per the manufactures, if you go by this, you meet their requirements. But as prior mentioned, if you add an oil bypass filter and check each year with an oil sample, you can go very much longer. Many in the diesel industry has, many in the big rigs that use their engines harder and longer than us, with constant hard long hauls. I personally know a big rigger that went 250k before changing oil.

Oil bascially doesn't break down. Its the additives that break down and the chemicals that build up while in use that's hurts the engine. (If you could remove all those from your oil, you could keep using it over and over.) This is what you need to monitor. If you don't change the oil when recommended you will have problems. Changing the filters on a constant basis is critical also. Any quality oil is what you want, and Rotella is only one of the so call good brands out there. If your engine requires the full sync, it is recommended to stay with that.

But if you really want to know if the oil is bad or not, when the light comes on, pull a sample when changing the oil, send it in and get a full oil test. You might find you had many more miles left then the light was telling you.

And for those that change the oil every 5k or 10k, you might be wasting a lot of money that could have gone to other uses. May I suggest getting a sample test at the next change ? You might be shocked at the results, and how much you are wasting your hard earned money. Years ago I did the 10k routine ... and do it really different now.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

14. Thanks 14DODGE, david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen, Noneck, SyN liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAZMAN View Post
    WOW....I change oil and filter every 5K no matter what oil it is. I change fuel filters every 10K. My trucks sit a lot so I am more concerned with moisture than the break down of oil.
    Way over kill. Minimum 12 to 15K is plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Opie011 View Post
    I change every 10k miles. The manual says every 15k miles or 6mo. which ever comes first.
    Standard conditions? Or is that heavy conditions? Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    Unless you use a bypass filter and send in samples, once a year no matter how few miles. Contaminants can degrade oil over time. 15,000 miles should be safe with any decent brand.

I'm still not sold on those bypass filters. First 1 or 2 Micron is unnecessary. There isn't enough grit generated. I run dual 5 Micron (I think), and my oil stays clear for almost 15K.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

16. Likes AnOldBiker, david3gen liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I change every 7500 miles EGR-less 6.7

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

18. Likes david3gen liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I just did a 15000 mile service duel and oil filters 7500 miles on this oil change and it was probably the worst oil I seen. Also just finished up my delete so hopefully it starts looking better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Likes david3gen liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast