Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe EGT?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Safe EGT?

Getting ready at the end of next week to hitch onto our fiver and head towards Minnesota from New Mexico. Can someone tell me what the max safe EGT would be with the probe mounted in the rear cooler block-off plate? My research indicates that this location reads anywhere from 150-400 degrees cooler than the preferred location in the exhaust manifold.

I can tell you I've seen 950 running empty in 6th gear at 65 mph pulling a slight grade with rpm's around 1700. Boost around 23.

I typically tow in 5th at 60-65 mph, but haven't towed since the deletes. Just don't wanna toast anything.

Thanks for your input,

Bob

2010 RAM 3500 DRW CC LB. RaceMe Ultra Sinister EGR/Cooler Delete, RaceMe EGT, 4" Flo-Pro CAT-To-Factory Muffler
    Pulling a 2011 HitchHiker 31.5 UKTG Fifth Wheel
    Full-time RVer since 9/22/14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Safe EGT?

I have my alert set at 1700* but my probe is installed in the collector on the exhaust manifold.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

3. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
    Likes Bobtipton, walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    I have my alert set at 1700* but my probe is installed in the collector on the exhaust manifold.

Greg
    So if my probe location reads 400* cooler, I'd be safe up to around 1200 or so?

Thanks!

Bob

2010 RAM 3500 DRW CC LB. RaceMe Ultra Sinister EGR/Cooler Delete, RaceMe EGT, 4" Flo-Pro CAT-To-Factory Muffler

5. Likes Power247 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I recently removed my tuner and went back to stock so I could have some service done at the dealership. Man did I forget how hot factory tuning is. Running unloaded I would easily hit 1100* just pulling out into traffic. I can't imagine what the temps would be if I was pulling the camper. My tuning from Ray has EGTs 3-400* cooler than the factory tuning.

When I'm towing I focus more on keeping the RPMs in the 1600-1900 range and the EGTs usually take care of themselves​.

Greg

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

7. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Keep it under 1100* and you'll be OK. If climbing up a hill, and it get's too high, drop down a gear. Prolonged running at 1200* may damage the turbo.

I can't remember the last time I saw 1200*. Even while in tow.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
    Likes Bobtipton, walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Keep it under 1100* and you'll be OK. If climbing up a hill, and it get's too high, drop down a gear. Prolonged running at 1200* may damage the turbo
    Thanks, @Polaraco ! I usually try to keep RPM's between 1700-2200 - that's towing in fifth gear with a 3.73 rear-end. About 60-65 mph. I will occasionally switch to 6th on the flats with no headwind. Towing speed has always been more of a limitation on the trailer tires than anything else

11. Likes Power247, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtipton View Post
    Thanks, @Polaraco ! I usually try to keep RPM's between 1700-2200 - that's towing in fifth gear with a 3.73 rear-end. About 60-65 mph. I will occasionally switch to 6th on the flats with no headwind. Towing speed has always been more of a limitation on the trailer tires than anything else https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e2779e1e32.jpg

Well Gee whiz! You're dragging a parachute! Get a rooftop deflector like the trucks have

You might be better going a bit faster in 6

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

13. Thanks Bobtipton, KimWar1911 thanked for this post
    Likes Bobtipton, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thanks, @Polaraco ! I usually try to keep RPM's between 1700-2200 - that's towing in fifth gear with a 3.73 rear-end. About 60-65 mph. I will occasionally switch to 6th on the flats with no headwind. Towing speed has always been more of a limitation on the trailer tires than anything else https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e2779e1e32.jpg

I pull 10 to 11K easily with a 5.9, 285's and 342's. But my trailer is a flat bed. I get one of those big ol C bodies or an Imperial on there and it's a load. @F350Cummins rescued me one time. I put my truck on my trailer. He had a 5.9 with 373's and it struggled a bit.

15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Yeah, sometimes feels that way. I can easily climb to 70-75 mph (this was with a stock truck, prior to deletes) in 6th gear. Problem is the cheap China-bomb tires on the fiver...

16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Yeah, sometimes feels that way. I can easily climb to 70-75 mph (this was with a stock truck, prior to deletes) in 6th gear. Problem is the cheap China-bomb tires on the fiver...

They should be 6 ply on that. OEM tends to be 4 ply. Do you have leaf springs or torsion suspension? I don't like torsion over 6000. They just don't hold up. You'll be amazed the difference. The wind deflector may help too.

17. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
    Likes Bobtipton liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast